Home away from home...

Tokay Gris

The first installation of the Tycho Under Base on the Mun has touched down!

Still a few bumps to sort out and the way it is, it doesn't have enough fuel to land on Duna... Unless I can find out how many parachutes I need.

This module provides living space for 43 Kerbals, complete with observation deck and enough solar panels to power the... ehm... the... well. To power a small planet....

screenshot83.png

Thanks!

Well, there are still some issues to iron out. As it is, it packs about 1100 m/s2. Enough for the Mun and smaller, but not to return, and way off for Duna.

Right now, I am packing one of these under each of the four corners.

screenshot85.png

The main engine still attached, as well as the orbital engine of the tug. I guess it will be a bit wobbly, once the engines fire, but Delta-V should be enough to go anywhere in the Kerbal system.

But the problem remains: How to land that monster anywhere... Delta-V is not enough. Even if parachutes are a lot more powerful than I guess they are. That limits possible landing sites quite a bit.

I will need some redisigning to do to land it on Duna, which was the initial idea...

But I am pretty proud of the observation deck on top!

Managed to get a modified version of that into orbit... My biggest yet! 130 tons!

The Lifter looks ugly as can be, but it got the job done... And because of an incredible partcount, this would not have worked without MechJeb... With a framerate of about one per second, there is no way you can do this by hand.

I can't help but be worried that if I put things like space stations or interplanetary bases up now, when they do bring in life support, suddenly all the inhabited bases will suddenly find when the update is applied that, well ****, they don't have life support... Hence why I'm holding off on any manned/mannable space stations or planetary bases...

On topic: Nice base. Looks a bit... Unwieldy. Must have been a pain in the ass to fly. :P

Actually, no. Liftoff was a pain, granted, but once you got down to the thing itself, it was pretty easy. Good reaction to ASAS/SAS, pretty stable in itself. RCS wasn't needed.

Must have done something right with the SAS-modules in each tower...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.