What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Gonna be brief here and cover the weekend. Took the Eve Comet, flew the mission to Eve, landed, and returned to orbit for the trip back to Kerbin. That was Saturday.

Sunday I took Laythe X to Lathe, landed and returned to orbit and to home.

The rest of the weekend I got a start on launching and assembling the OPSEC space station around the Mun. 2 parts assembled and 3 more in orbit and on the way. Im going to use it to complete the science there using re-usable Mun landers to collect all the science. Also going to dock a science lab there.

All those ships were in the Stock Craft Repository. We have some awesome ship builders/ mission planners here. I love those guys. :)

Actually, the 2 mission ships are in the Space Craft exchange forum.

Edited by Kevin Kyle

Sweet submarine kethane.

I had some missions going over this weekend. They're below

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Procyon mission pack: Send a guy to Duna and return him. This mission included

- 1 Artemis titan long range science station (4 landers total: 2 for non atmosphere, 2 for atmosphere)

- 1 Antares Titan 2 kethane platform for future missions and for refueling for the trip home.

- 1 Procyon 1 crew transport with 1 each non atmo and 1 atmo lander

- 1 Procyon 1.5... after the P1 crashed on Duna with no survivors (only surviving wreckage).

Antares Titan Kethane station

Riding my new Fractal heavy lifter is the Antares Titan Kethane platform. Capacity for 80 tons of kethane and launch to orbit from a non-atmosphere world. This beast nearly drained an entire field from the Mun in one landing.

The 100 ton fireball

Using a modified Fractal lifter for high TWR the 100 ton fireball lives up to its name by becoming a fireball at launch (and not the explosive variety). It ends up with 5000 dV after orbit and is why my Jeb is currently on an escape trajectory from the solar system with no hope of retrieval. I plan to get him back with interstellar research... well at least his frozen corpse anyway.

Got my 1st 3 man crew on its way to Mun for yet more science. The transfer has a periapsis of 35,000. A personal best! :-)

Also began researching a design based on a current NASA concept vehicle, Nautilus-X. Think it'll be fun to build and send off to another planet.

Land on mun also blowing up/crash landing and landing are pretty much the same thing.

Ps. I crashed because the altitude metre glitched out and said I was 1706 metres above Munich when I was 0 above it totally not my fault.

The altitude meter didn't glitch. It marks the altitude above sea level, not terrain.

Last night I did something borderline impossible and I have absolutely no proof. It's not even that it was impossible... Just highly unlikely especially since I was flying completely by the seat of my pants. I was at a friend's house who also plays and I quickly threw something together that I boasted (half joking) would go to Duna but not return.

I put a tiny last ditch stage at the top, then a 360 unit tank with an LV-909, below that an orange tank with a skipper. Radially attached 6 of the smaller (1440 unit) tanks with skippers feeding to center, and each of those had another stage below it with mainsails. Threw two solar panels and two batteries on it and hit launch for a test run to see how bad I had just screwed up.

It worked surprisingly well and got into stable kerbin orbit with 3/4 of the orange tank left so I decided to head to the Mun, laughing as I claimed I was going to land it. I ditched the orange tank with 1/4 still left as I approached the circularization burn at the Mun because it had no SAS and I was tired of fighting it. I decided not to bother with circularizing and just came in hot from about 200km out, my speed had to have been 650m/s by the time I was at 10-13km and I started burning retrograde like I've never burned before, but it wasn't enough. About to make a little green splat on the surface my friend started laughing as I was still going about 200m/s and close enough to taste Mun dust.

I panicked and dropped the 360 unit tank and fired off my last ditch stage (if you've seen my landers you know what I mean) and at the last possible second as far as I could tell, I started moving UP. I gently set down what was left of my ship right on the engine, and it leaned over a little.

We thought it was over but I did some guestimating and decided I could get it into orbit for rescue, which I did (although polar). With an almost dry tank I exclaimed I could get it home! Friends thought I was stupid (so did I). I got on an escape trajectory but it wasn't enough and I was 1500km away from kerbin at pe. I was about to give up... But I was highly elliptical with my ap out past the Mun. So I started time warping. Time warping until I hit another Mun encounter which miraculously would sling me straight at the surface of kerbin. I reentered, plopped down with my chute and the engine exploded but the rest of the craft was fine.

After a brief moment of disbelief and celebration, the three of us declared that it was impossible for any of us to replicate and just shut down the game. Lmao...

I don't have so much as a screenshot of this entire mission and I can't believe I actually did that. I plan to get the craft file from my friend soon and try it again so I can fail miserably.

Edited by Duke23

Yesterday I designed an unmanned probe that should hopefully get to the surface of Laythe. Also, I managed to get my first SSTO with payload (said probe for Laythe) to orbit and back to solid ground.

Well, the mission still was a failure, since (again) I forgot the comms on the probe, so it's completely useless, but at least I have a working SSTO design... Let's see, if I can land the SSTO again today.

The unmanned probe to Moho, whose flight I reverted after I accidentally lost all the fuel tanks (the cause was something I consider a bug - see my previous post) is now (again) on its way. Soon (still 4 ingame days to go, but those warp away like nothing...) it will make a gravity assist at the Mun and then continue towards its destination.

I added a load of emergency lifeboats to my space station (after testing one out) so the crew can get back to Kerbin if it all goes pear-shaped. It's a deck-chair with a parachute, basically:

hR1Lz4F.jpg

There's a set of them attached in a line to the hub of the space station:

4ndyMSn.jpg

I completed my first proper Eve landing. My previous attempt was in 0.23, but back then I made some mistakes, and the pilot had to abandon ship and circularize with his jetpack.

eve_ship_7.jpeg

This time I had seven kerbals and a lander that was designed for sea level landings. Because the landing site was at 2100 m, the lander was really an overkill.

eve_fireworks_1.jpeg

eve_fireworks_2.jpeg

eve_fireworks_3.jpeg

eve_ascent_1.jpeg

eve_ascent_2.jpeg

eve_ascent_3.jpeg

eve_ascent_4.jpeg

I didn't care about terminal velocity too much. The first attempt ended in a 130 km orbit, with over 1000 m/s remaining.

Well, I did two things. One, I used the Klaws on rovers to see if I could transfer fuel from one craft to another (planet side). No good, at least I could not do it.

Two, I finally got MechJeb 2 to work and had a unmanned carrier fighter, guided by MechJeb 2, enter a space carrier bay and dock. The carrier used was the Vulture class, so it had to navigate past an armor 'beak', but being so small allowed it to slip right in. I am wondering if I could make it even smaller. ^_^'

Now I just have to design a MechJeb 2 controlled droid and some way to get missiles to the carrier and a easy way for the fighters to load (I gave the fighter only one Jr. Dock, so it can't stay docked and load up at the same time).

I was amazed on how easily it could move and twirl when approaching the carrier. I may have to start thinking about smaller designs for spacecraft in the future.

I completed my first proper Eve landing. My previous attempt was in 0.23, but back then I made some mistakes, and the pilot had to abandon ship and circularize with his jetpack.

http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/jltsiren/ksp/eve_ship_7.jpeg

This time I had seven kerbals and a lander that was designed for sea level landings. Because the landing site was at 2100 m, the lander was really an overkill.

http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/jltsiren/ksp/eve_fireworks_1.jpeg

http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/jltsiren/ksp/eve_fireworks_2.jpeg

http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/jltsiren/ksp/eve_fireworks_3.jpeg

http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/jltsiren/ksp/eve_ascent_1.jpeg

http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/jltsiren/ksp/eve_ascent_2.jpeg

http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/jltsiren/ksp/eve_ascent_3.jpeg

http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/jltsiren/ksp/eve_ascent_4.jpeg

I didn't care about terminal velocity too much. The first attempt ended in a 130 km orbit, with over 1000 m/s remaining.

That thing is huge! Nicely done.

I had a busy day. B9 aerospace pack and KSP Interplanetary mods added. sorry for lots of pics :)

This is the KSS-05 Nautilus loaded with a Virus Lander.

Dw1fTtZ.png

The Virus Lander landed on Bop.

ZU2nkGD.png

After returning to kerbin and landing the virus lander on top of the research center:

ModYyRB.png

I reloaded the Nautilus with mono, antimatter, a new virus Lander, a Banshee SSTO spaceplane and a Banshee SSTO:

oRkC1AE.png

and they're ready to complete the exploration of the Jool system:

Q2G8W07.png