What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

This little guy is way too happy playing with winches (and almost getting crushed by 5 tons of crap because someone doesn't know how to use RCS while tethered).

This was before my ship decided to spontaneously dismantle itself as I was going back to LKO for a refuel... There was nothing left but the command module, SAS, claw, and bunch of little pieces. I still have no idea what happened but I chalked it up to a weird bug and reloaded.

KSP2014-05-1416-00-48-79.jpg~original

I started a brand new save, with the intention of making a fully reuse-able space program.

In order to do this, I will make use of the various cargo SSTOs that I have built. The first step of this new enterprise is going to be the construction of a space station in LKO, to serve as a fuel depot and to allow me to keep the skies above Kerbin from being too cluttered.

The first part of my new space station, Cloudbase Kerbin.

6ygUwF5.png

nwYyAVb.png

L8mCvML.png

The second cargo I launched consisted of three of the five tanks that I'll be using in my Snr docking port array and an assembly droid. Another flight will be required to get the girders up there to attach to the sides of the top tank (the one with four regular ports, the others only have one).

lGpnBjh.png

JMe0m5a.png

385lDU7.png

The Kylon SSTO performed perfectly and landed safely and without incidence in at the end of both flights.

xfdOSVp.png

A9EXK9S.png

So, here's Eve's South Pole.

Bob: "Well there it is, this ought to be close enough. Look at that Aurora Australis!"

Jeb: "Cool. Now head to the top Bob."

Bob: "Looks pretty dangerous, we can just drive around..."

Bill: "No way man!"

Jeb: "We have to go to the top, that's a real power spot."

Bob: "Oh come on Jeb, not that 'power spot' thing..."

Jeb: "POWER SPOT!!!"

Bob: "Oh God."

5jouWRq.png

Bob was a little aggressive getting the rover as close as possible. This felt really stupid.

Apdpv7t.png

Bob got out to plant the flag.

Bob: "Holy crap guys I just fell like 10 meters down this cliff!"

Jeb: "Dude, this is way too dangerous! Back it up."

Bill: "Yeah!"

Bob: "Chickens."

So Bob planted the flag and backed the rover to a safer place so the trio could get out and take a selfie:

IafdqlT.png

Next goal is to go to Eve's highest point, should be somewhere North of here.

Today Jebediah appeared in my Available Crew.

Which was REALLY WEIRD because when I saw him I realized that he wasn't there yesterday. But I didn't remember recovering anything. I checked my save, my quicksave, and all my backups, including the one auto-generated by KAC. The best information I could find was that he was last seen in Roidirector 1, which I had since recovered - several days ago. So why wasn't he in the roster yesterday?

Now I think I know why one of the loading captions is "Locating Jebediah Kerman..."

Here's a practical ION cruiser I created with ARM's updated ION engine. The final stage retains over 12000 m/s DV. With a Kerbin TWR of 0.12 it's no rocket, but it will enter Joolian orbit with less than 20 minutes of burn time, and cruise burns generally last less than 5 minutes. What makes the new ION engines great is the fact that you get the same performance, and require the same planning considerations as the old engines, but now with a useful payload (Kerbals). There's a 4000 unit battery in there to keep the engines running on the dark side of the orbit, and everything separates from the capsule for the return to Kerbin. This vessel would make a great return pod for long interplanetary visits. You get tons of DV for very little mass. You just have to be a little patient for planetary escape burns.

screenshot55.png

screenshot58.png

screenshot62.png

screenshot64.png

screenshot65.png

Today I planned and successfully accomplished my first two Minimus orbits. I have tell you, doing it right on the first try is kind of nice. I also figured out how to install ladders because, well, I suck bad at the EVA rocket pack thing. So, ladders let me maneuver around picking up the science needed.

Sent an asteroid into the sun today. I initially captured it as it happened to be passing in kerbin soi. flew a ship up there with a large impulse, attached to the asteroid, slowed it down, reset it's orbit to close to kerbin so I could construct a transport system to the sun around it, sent it's on it's way. Not without lots of hiccups of course.

I think i destroyed the asteroid. There's no evidence of my ship or the asteroid after colliding with the sun so I'm not really sure what happened to it.

the initial craft

screenshot6_zps25255cb7.png

near the sun

screenshot10_zps82f77073.png

crash report

screenshot15_zps58886e4d.png

Edited by kanelives

And I visited my Laythe colony, to replace 2 crew members.

http://i.imgur.com/qKXPYth.png

http://i.imgur.com/1PDdSad.png

http://i.imgur.com/7onfYQO.png

http://i.imgur.com/JnAiPWG.png

Unfortunately, I wasted too much fuel for the inclination burn on the Jool transfer, so visiting Duna after that is probably a bad idea... Should have waited for the zero inclination transfer like I did the 1st time... :^[

I really like this base...

First trip out into interplanetary space this career, and landed on Duna and Ike, sorta Kerpollo style. Pics for your enjoyment. The launch and LKO pics are actually from several launches where I played with ship configurations, but the flight process was the same. Also installed Astronomer's visual pack after landing on Duna so there's an abrupt change lol.

That little lander managed to reach 52 km circular Duna orbit with fuel to spare! But I sent the command ship down to pick it up cause it would be cutting it close for rendezvous maneuvers. Altogether ~ 2600 science achieved.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Pwnstarr

After undocking my asteroid capture ship from the space station where it helped with crew rotation, I noticed a set of science reports from the asteroid was missing. I picked up science low and high above Kerbin three times: one I transmitted directly, another was to be processed at the station and then transmitted, the last was to be returned down to Kerbin. I think there maybe a problem with me modding the probe cores to store science, although that should work flawlessly. Maybe I just moved the one set of data onto the other via ShipManifest, so possibly a layer 8 problem. :P

The crew pod of Capture One was lacking parachutes, but luckily the Kethane transport docked to the station carried boxes with contingency equipment, among them radial parachutes of which one was welded onto the pod in a sweaty EVA - jetpacks have real difficulties handling the off-balance of carrying such a heavy part.

Deorbiting went well, the docking port survived its role as heatshield with a soft reentry and so did the crew.

I do not get done very much lately - really should stop adding and reconfiguring mods and get on with my planned missions!

`

I'd love to see the craft file.

It's actually super simple. The drop pod is designed to shed its outer protective layer of structural panels after the re-entry effects and hypersonic speed effects are gone (usually between 6000 and 2000m) and the only thing left after that is a Mk1 lander can with an octagonal hardpoint and 2x2 structural panel on the bottom to cushion the impact and 2 separatrons on the side of the lander can. Point straight down, ignite at 200m above ground level and the pod will survive impact. Tested it multiple times and it's pretty darn reliable if you use the IVA altimeter.

I can't get you the craft file right now (at work) but I'll see if I can post it later.

EDIT: you can't really use it with deadly re-entry (unless maybe you go for a shallower entry) because my kerbals were sucking up 15+G's on the way down. But I figured "It's a drop-pod, it's supposed to go down fast, hard and in a damn near straight line."

Edited by Cirocco

Spent two and a half hours straight yesterday bugtesting the upcoming update to Near Future Propulsion. Found one bug, and one exploit. No cheaty-cheaty with electric engines inside atmospheres for you anymore! :cool:

That was one out of six content modules; testing shall continue today with the other five.

...So yeah, I'm that type of person who spends more time tinkering with a game than actually palying it :P

Couple of things happening today.

- Since I begun yet again another career mode savegame couple of days ago, I decided today to send two probes to the two closest transfer time which was for me, Eeloo and Dres (I already have one probe on Moho). The second probe reached Dres and is now in orbit (10 x 30km) the first probe is still on its way to Eeloo.

- One of my long range probes returned on its own to the SOI of Kerbin after 2 years of travel around the sun intersecting the orbit of Duna. Quite interesting.

- Making plans for the next missions, landing on Moho with Kerbals and return to Kerbin with an exploration ship.

I finally finished refueling my Eve lander after the launch from Kerbin. It took five kethane mining trips to Gilly to finish the job - launching fuel tankers from Kerbin would probably have been faster.

A passenger ship arrived conveniently just after the refueling was done. When the lander has space for seven kerbals, it would feel like a waste to land on Eve with only a crew of three.

eve_ship_3.jpg

My standard interplanetary ship looks quite small next to the big lander.

Why'd you neck it down to a 1.25m docking port? That's just asking for wobble with that huge lander.

There was no place for a bigger docking port anywhere. Using the deorbiting stage isn't really that different from pushing a Class E asteroid. As long as you keep SAS off and limit the thrust to around 500 kN, everything works fine.