What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Commenced Project Luna, or "put-a-bunch-of-satellites-in-various-orbits-around-the-Mun-to-study-its-entirety" mission.

Carrier spacecraft seen here in orbit, with its destination visible on the distance. Total of 13 microsatellites in there.

F39mNTd.jpg

Last batch of the crew arrives at the station! They are expected to stay up there for 1 kerbal year.

xly1Jnz.jpg

Spent the day learning about FAR, how to use FAR, what are good designs in FAR, how to do a plane ascent profile in FAR - you know, how to FAR. Took this newfound knowledge and redesigned my plane from the previous night - the one that only made it to Mach 3.1 at 33k - prepared for a night of successful flights to orbit.

Night #2 of FAR was even less successful than Night #1; if I didn't tail strike right away, I pitched up so hard that the plane went into a major stall. Me farting around with procedural wings probably didn't help one iota.

Oh, nothing, just tested my Booster Helicopter Launchpad.

Why, you ask?

FO9Cxk8.jpg

Why not?

The wings are spun using SAS modules, so it's free (and perhaps recoverable, but the 2.5 km limit...)

Only problem is that it's slow. Very slow.

Also it's around 200 parts, so fps is also slow.

Still, essentially free altitude.

EDIT: I also hyperedited to Eve to test it out there, it didn't work...

Built a container with a rover in it to do a test drop from orbit. When I saw I was going to crash into the ocean I went EVA to avoid going down with the ship.

Iearned three things here.

1) Much like humans, kerbals legs are NOT strong enough to stand when slamming into an atmosphere.

2) It is quite a sight to watch a kerbal bounce all over inside a container when he hit the water. Kind of funny in a strange way.

3) Kerbals can swim!!!! :-)

Drove KTP-4 further up the mountain, using a base-car's station generator to assist after a previous double heading accident that wrote off a KTP-3...

t'was a slow battle of 3m/s..

Bomaderry Outpost station still 30km away...

almost 200 units of fuel burned out of 3000..

35km or so from KSC just outside previous station at the base of the mountain

http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/28483315964427410/D839470423D7888A6FAB3B98AD3EE9190343C56F/

I love this thing! is the craft file available for dl?

Starting the DunaOne recruit-camp.

ScanSat-Fork carrier sent for mapping. -Eta 20 Days

Actual scan 2-3 Days

Modules stacked and strapped

Recruits check

Now i only need my bada$$ pilot to lead the flock ...:cool: so i sent him a limo

The following takes place between 10 p.m. and 1 a.m

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Edited by beck103

'Big 'un I' changed designation to 'Port Kerbin' as it officially achieved stable orbit.

Promptly declared independence and commenced peace negotiations based on the ability to drop various items on space-to-ground trajectories with potentially lethal consequences.

1044497_10205223795648767_8973496480820753693_n.jpg?oh=60dee2b3e842dfeefb173ed0a49042db&oe=558E172D

Went to Eve.

Apart from the partcount (202 on the pad / 130 in LKO), it's no more remarkable than any other Eve mission; but I'm fascinated by this pic of the 1st stage separation:

sepratron.jpg

Went to Eve.

Came back.

More pics to follow, in separate thread.

Looks as if you might submit it to Eve Rocks.

Designed and flew the Mk2 version of the Dirty Rascal 2.

16470394390_f5dde23c1a_o.png

Six engines rather than four, winglets for a little more lift, airbrakes on the fuselage, and all but the outermost elevons are set as flaps. Takeoff speed is thus lower than on the original, so will hopefully be safer.

I pushed its limits to get some contracts. It went supersonic with no drama despite never being built for it, and hit 24 km in a zoom climb. Maybe a little cheaty since unlike the stock Basic Jet, the little MRS one isn't nerfed by FAR. I thus ticked off the part testing contracts. Which means I can't build another one, mind.

I don't think it counts, by the rules. That lander was just one of three ships (any one of which might have fit within the circle - I much prefer orbital assembly to launching Whackjovian behemoths), and I did use mods - nothing really cheaty, just MechJeb et al and a few custom parts like the old deployable heat-shield from Goblin Industries (technically unnecessary, as we don't have re-entry heat yet, but...). I figure I'll make a thread and let people decide for themselves.

I don't think it counts, by the rules. That lander was just one of three ships (any one of which might have fit within the circle - I much prefer orbital assembly to launching Whackjovian behemoths), and I did use mods - nothing really cheaty, just MechJeb et al and a few custom parts like the old deployable heat-shield from Goblin Industries (technically unnecessary, as we don't have re-entry heat yet, but...). I figure I'll make a thread and let people decide for themselves.

That great circle rule was supposed to encourage orbital assembly. Turns out that one can put a lot into that circle, though. The above was my first single launch / high TWR transfer, and I see now why the concept is so popular. Mod parts aren't a problem in and of themselves; especially if they're detached before Eve ascent.

Tomzar Kerman, renown Olympic class chiropodist and snail-tamer extraordinaire, today rescued the beautiful Haning Kerman (no relation) after she was declared 'Dutchman' by her colleagues following hasty discussions with their lawyers regarding liability clauses.

10305609_10205229561312905_2062860806748305167_n.jpg?oh=0b1f809d0177a3e5bb6d1e663a3e6626&oe=5588E5D6

Undaunted, Haning stated she was unruffled by the event, and would return to space after educating her former employers in the surgical application of blunt objects.

11021201_10205229561272904_3127946640651727503_n.jpg?oh=8398026186cd48d3fbab7e6d76ca9281&oe=554C5CCB

Added a cabless booster unit to my roster - along with another station 80+ km away from KSC..

a bit noisy.. with 4x detriot diesels chugging away.. but happily cruise at midrange throttle when outside of steep grades or in dynamic braking down a mountain side

lXrYC21.jpg

Bombo station awaits in the distance for some fuel and exchange for 2 passenger cars back to KSC.. 2+ hours driving at moderate speed 25m/s

UEbZk3N.jpg

Docked the orbiter Hellblazer to Space Station One tonight. Wehrgar, Tangan and Samney Kerman transferred over to the crew quarters. Jeb, Bill and Bob are coming up by capsule in a few days to fly the shuttle home. I used senior docking ports so it was a bit tight inside the cargo bay. Nailed it first try.

dJ4caPD.png

Day #3 with FAR. The nightmare continues...

After being rest assured that my initial FARplane design was mostly sound (just needed a few tweaks), and with the internal derivatives greenlighting me in all but one benchmark test (she sideslips at 35k going mach 3.5), I once again took the skies confident of being able to make orbit and begin work on the "how in the crap do you land this stupid thing" phase of my FAR education. I knew that I'd have to keep a firm hand on the helm during the process of going supersonic. What I didn't realize that by "firm hand", the computer actually meant "a grip of death so tight that it changes the rotational axis of the Earth"...

So yeah - design part good. Now I think I need piloting advice; I'll go ask for it on that thread I've got going; the rest of y'all are welcome to chime in over there...

after i made some spaceplanes which were good for crewtransfers and some tiny cargo like 2 stationparts i slapped the stock mk3 cockpit and cargobays together and used wings and engines from B9. Since i usually need a couple rollouts before i try to lift it off, this one looked good right away, so i powered up the engines and gave it a try:

Javascript is disabled. View full album