What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I managed to complete LOADS of missiong heading to Duna... the complete reward was over 8M$ !!!!!

Was quite a challenge with my 1300 or so Delta V after dropping the kerbin orbiter (had to use mono to deorbit to Duna, for example.)

I am neither a good engineer, nor a good pilot. But I am Zen.

Today, while my Minmus mapping satellite was slowly reaching (1 day left ) his target, I decided to clean a few debris for the first time.

It took me a few (read : lot) of try launches before I was able to build a rocket that would put the grabber module in orbit.

Then it took a few (cf above) tries to manage to finally find a way to grab the first debris.

Another was not very far away, and I had a free claw, so I went on my merry new encounter orbit.

It's only when I was at 1 km from the target that I discovered that I had no electricity left, and the RCS tanks where empty.

So, Jeb is in orbit. He has enough fuel to re-enter - but no way to orient the ship.

A small thrust caused the ship to rotate wildly. I then began doing little "pushes" each time the retrograde marker appeared on the navball while I approached the apoapsis. Causing the rotation increase more and more. Finally all I managed was to get the periapsis down to 69.5 km.

Three orbits and few more pushes later, Jeb and the ship are recovered, intact, with my first captured space debris. The minmus observer is still one hour from maneuver.

There will be cake and apple juice at the space center tonight.

Tomorrow will be "back to the drawing board" day.

mgasdcmk1fuelhog1.jpg

Re-fueling all the tanks is a royal pain (Dunno why one must click these to enlarge them) Been a while since I've used a forum.

mgasdcmk1fuelhog2.jpg

The Fuelhog self powered low orbit re-fueler. Carries a Full orange tank easily put atop any heavy lifter. Has enough fuel to meet up with low orbit crafts and re-enter Kerbins atmosphere. Water landings only...

mgasdcmk1fuelhog3.jpg

The Megadeuce Mk1 flies relatively well and has Two outer engine hardpoints (one equipped) and two on the wingtips. Also has a bomb-bay for larger probes or nefarious purposes such as space launched missiles or free-fall explosives.:wink:

ffgafg.jpg

A small probe ready for launch on an inner wing hardpoint.

mgasdcmk1fuelhog5.jpg

I am neither a good engineer, nor a good pilot. But I am Zen.

Today, while my Minmus mapping satellite was slowly reaching (1 day left ) his target, I decided to clean a few debris for the first time.

It took me a few (read : lot) of try launches before I was able to build a rocket that would put the grabber module in orbit.

Then it took a few (cf above) tries to manage to finally find a way to grab the first debris.

Another was not very far away, and I had a free claw, so I went on my merry new encounter orbit.

It's only when I was at 1 km from the target that I discovered that I had no electricity left, and the RCS tanks where empty.

So, Jeb is in orbit. He has enough fuel to re-enter - but no way to orient the ship.

A small thrust caused the ship to rotate wildly. I then began doing little "pushes" each time the retrograde marker appeared on the navball while I approached the apoapsis. Causing the rotation increase more and more. Finally all I managed was to get the periapsis down to 69.5 km.

Three orbits and few more pushes later, Jeb and the ship are recovered, intact, with my first captured space debris. The minmus observer is still one hour from maneuver.

There will be cake and apple juice at the space center tonight.

Tomorrow will be "back to the drawing board" day.

Staying calm is key to success.

Also, I don't know if you can already perform EVAs in space (you need to have your astronaut complex at level 2 for that), but when you're out of fuel/electricity, you can always get a kerbal out and have him, literally, push the vessel using the monopropellant of his backpack. You probably could have turned your shuttle like that.

It's also very useful when your solar panels are not exposed to sun light and you're out of electricity. And always grand fun.

Cheers

Edited by Plume & Akakak

Also, I don't know if you can already perform EVAs in space (you need to have your astronaut complex at level 2 for that), but when you're out of fuel/electricity, you can always get a kerbal out and have him, literally, push the vessel using the monopropellant of his backpack. You probably could have turned your shuttle like that.

It was my B plan - I am even worse at piloting EVAs, last time Val nearly ended on her own orbit. And I didn't remember if the propellant was "in" the suit, or taken from the capsule reserves. I'll remember this next time, thanks for the tip.

It was my B plan - I am even worse at piloting EVAs, last time Val nearly ended on her own orbit. And I didn't remember if the propellant was "in" the suit, or taken from the capsule reserves. I'll remember this next time, thanks for the tip.

You're welcome !

Yes, there are 5 units of monopropellant in the suit. Just don't run dry while you're out : ) Get back in the capsule before it's exhausted to fill up again. You can repeat the process indefinitely. It does not affect the reserves of the capsule, which are used by your ship's RCS thrusters.

Edited by Plume & Akakak

I continued work on my elevator...

screenshot3_zpswomugvqk.png

The superstructure proved most difficult to maneuver into place... The entire time I was driving it was fishtailing (perhaps using anti-grav devices on it wasn't the best idea...) and eventually I would hit a bump and that would happen.

Then I thought, hey, I have a crane! Lets go with plan B!

screenshot4_zpsodb3pgng.png

Everything seemed just fine...

screenshot6_zpsww5hzkvl.png

Then it wasn't... At some point while trying to turn the boom to drop them on the roof the whole thing tipped over, eventually even the grapple being used to keep it in place gave way and the entire thing went spilling off the roof of the VAB.

The three inside the basket all survived the fall, until the crane itself fell on top of them claiming two lives.

Bill was consulted on the accident review and stated: "I don't know why it failed, yes the crane could have been anchored better with a wider base but the crane itself weighed nearly 30 tons, a 2 ton (give or take) basket shouldn't have caused it to tip."

Memorial services will be held as soon as it is confirmed that the two missing are dead and not somehow pushed under the walkway.

I continued work on my elevator...

http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z335/annallia92/screenshot3_zpswomugvqk.png

The superstructure proved most difficult to maneuver into place... The entire time I was driving it was fishtailing (perhaps using anti-grav devices on it wasn't the best idea...) and eventually I would hit a bump and that would happen.

Then I thought, hey, I have a crane! Lets go with plan B!

http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z335/annallia92/screenshot4_zpsodb3pgng.png

Everything seemed just fine...

http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z335/annallia92/screenshot6_zpsww5hzkvl.png

Then it wasn't... At some point while trying to turn the boom to drop them on the roof the whole thing tipped over, eventually even the grapple being used to keep it in place gave way and the entire thing went spilling off the roof of the VAB.

The three inside the basket all survived the fall, until the crane itself fell on top of them claiming two lives.

Bill was consulted on the accident review and stated: "I don't know why it failed, yes the crane could have been anchored better with a wider base but the crane itself weighed nearly 30 tons, a 2 ton (give or take) basket shouldn't have caused it to tip."

Memorial services will be held as soon as it is confirmed that the two missing are dead and not somehow pushed under the walkway.

Try using a counter weight system. As well build out the outriggers to have a wider stance.

gcnBXcX.png

Today, I finally finished build other station... Kinda bored to do.

screenshot17_zpsfb979plg.png

Orbit at 300 km

Crew: 20 Kerbal

During mission - I made mistake where to put solar. it wont get any sunshine from star (Kerbol) So I had to use on rocket carry battery storage to push station rotation by 90 degree... *whew* no break up station.

Edited by Deaf3279

Today, after installing a laundry list of new mods, I decided to start up a new career mode game and crank up the difficulty with the opportunity. I found out, in the process, that 60% science returns really makes the game interesting. I needed to start making moon landings really early, and, as a result, with far less sophisticated equipment than I'm used to. The lack of lander legs was an issue, I won't lie.

Try using a counter weight system. As well build out the outriggers to have a wider stance

*snip*

I actually had a counter weight on the other end, it snapped off when things started to go horribly wrong

My Moho mission attempt number... 50:

mm2oSuA.jpg

What the hell? O.O flying to RSS mars+phobos+deimos was easier than this!

Must be all those nerfed engines...

If you're wondering i'm doing a brute-force direct Kerbin-Moho transfer. Hopefully there's enough stages this time.

ybguzHr.jpg

09QJWZY.jpg

P.S.

Stock solar system Moho --.--

Not much last night; landed the Raven 7 with a crew of 4 successfully at the KSC Runway (after about half a dozen attempts, of course - I should probably work on a better passenger ferry). Took on a satellite contract over Minmus; launched a Ballista 7 from the KSC Runway to fulfill that and sent the payload on its way while the plane began its cold soak prior to re-entry. Probably going to land that sucker tonight. Might get to work on that better passenger ferry tonight...been thinking about re-purposing the Vulture 7 resupply ferry design for that...

put this in orbit:

FRdBiru.png

i'm building a mothership using Interstellar, the plan was to build the stage in orbit using Extraplanetry Launchpads, but i decided to launch it with a giant SRM just for fun. the spherical tanks are empty, there is a small(er) tank of hydrazine in the centre. 100 tons of toxic fuel and nuclear reactor, 650 tons of SRM.

next step is the crew stage.

My Moho mission attempt number... 50:

http://i.imgur.com/mm2oSuA.jpg

What the hell? O.O flying to RSS mars+phobos+deimos was easier than this!

Must be all those nerfed engines...

If you're wondering i'm doing a brute-force direct Kerbin-Moho transfer. Hopefully there's enough stages this time.

http://i.imgur.com/ybguzHr.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/09QJWZY.jpg

P.S.

Stock solar system Moho --.--

Wow, that thing is huge. I know Moho is a real pain, but I don't remember having to build quite THAT large to do the mission. :)

But I have a weakness for large rockets. Well done. :)

After my extended RL EVA(life-support is a royal pain, I was never able to stay away from the ship for more than 50 minutes, on the plus side I saw octopi, squid, sharks, rays and lots of fish)

I forgot which missions my existing Kerbin SOI vehicles were doing, so I pointed them all towards home after rescuing anyone near-by and built a new ship for completing my outstanding 'build a station' missions.

Orbited Mun for a rescue(and landed for a station and a large ore mission), then did a low-efficiency burn for Minmus for a second station mission and a flag mission. Only mined enough ore to refuel then started a sling-shoot around Kerbin to Klaw a ship that needs to be returned to Kerbin from Munar orbit.

Got a couple more station missions and launched a new ship, stopping to collect the occupant of the skip to be Klawed by the other ship, so that they can get Minmus XP when I go to do the second station mission.

Planning to mine/refuel/plant XP flag then head off to Minmus this evening.

I am starting to wonder if I should launch another interplanetary mission or two and then just time-warp until I get to Duna.

Interplanetary takes a very long time if I keep running missions in the Kerbin SOI during the transit.

While doing stuff at my space station, an octagonal strut of my power supply module spontaneously exploded "due to overheating". (current FAR bug)

So I deorbited the damaged module and replaced it with a bigger and better one.

I also attached a docking module for further expansion and brought an accomodation module with a third launch to kerbalize my station and get that mobile science lab going.

A fourth mission brought an antenna module to the station, connecting it with my RemoteTech orbital satellite network, which I have installed lately.

And my last mission today was to setup two of my long range satellites to connect all planets with Kerbin.

Edited by Cairol

I pushed my EVA pack piloting skills to the limit to finish setting up something I started back in 24.2. I break my usual habit of including lots of pictures, because they'd be minor spoilers for Oceans of Eve.