Invisible sides in Unity?

For some reason, whenever I import something into Unity from blender where i have created faces manually, they show up invisible(well, at least when you look at them at a certain angle). What I did in blender was create a basic rectangular prism, duplicate it, then mirror it. only the original seems to be completely solid in unity. This is probably some really basic mistake, but I'm just learning unity so i know pretty much nothing.

For some reason, whenever I import something into Unity from blender where i have created faces manually, they show up invisible(well, at least when you look at them at a certain angle). What I did in blender was create a basic rectangular prism, duplicate it, then mirror it. only the original seems to be completely solid in unity. This is probably some really basic mistake, but I'm just learning unity so i know pretty much nothing.

Your textures are facing different directions,

In blender, look for this:

image.php?id=10A8_5196DAA2&jpg

Click the cube icon as highlighted in Edit mode. The blue lines indicate the direction of your texture on the face. On the left hand side:

image.php?id=77AF_5196DAFC&jpg

You can use these two to flip the direction of the texture also.

You're using the wrong terminology. His geometry is facing the wrong way. His textures face whichever way his geometry does.

Well, I thought your "Normals are probably reversed somehow." was a little brief. Judging from his problem he is unaware of what normals are, so I decided to try and help him. No point confusing him with terminology at this point as he is clearly starting out, keep it simple simon :)

could also be a problem with the format he is using. for example, formats like FBX and CAD make my models show up like this in unity, but if I use OBJ or 3DS, the problem isn't there at all.

This was the problem and I've now got it working properly. Even if the terminology is wrong (according to above), it got the point across. Thanks!

The terminology is correct. They were saying keep it simple for you, rather than saying words you obviously dont know. Normals of faces = the direction they face. the opposit side of the normals facing, is invisible/see through.

Not that big a kerfuffle, but I generally prefer not to mislead the uninformed by using the wrong terminology from the start, which they'll just have to go and re-learn later. Teach 'em right the first time, and you won't have to teach 'em again.

I'm just glad he got it sorted out, and now knows how to fix it in the future.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.