I have a request and i am almost ashamed of it

SoldierHair

I am not a really good flyer , but it think i made one of my best rockets for interplanetary travel.It's name is Baryshnikov and it's the result after i combined the Interplanetary Joe Mk1 with the Minmus Flyer.

It has a solar panels and batteries because it was supposed to be a part of a small statio ; and i forgot to add solar panels to the main part of the station. :(

But less of the story and more of the details.I am not good at all at interplanetary flights , i never got an encounter with any planet , yet i played a lot of KSP.Baryshnikov proved to be extremely strong reaching a stabble orbit around Kerbin with the Rockomax Mainsail still having fuel.

My request is to see how far can this thing go , if anyone could help me i would appreciate very much (as in "can it reach Duna?").Baryshnikov is stock parts only , pic and craft file below.And don't thrust the engineering redux , i was messing around with the buttons and at the moment i presses F1 it was set on Mun.I removed that part for the file.Don't put this in your main save file , i don't want to corrupt your saves if anything happens.In the folder "saves" make a new folder and name it what ever you want , copy paste the inside of your main save there and add Baryshnikov to the Ships/VAB file.

f1dwcm.png

http://www.2shared.com/file/P6YL5CPn/Baryshnikov.html?

Posting this makes me feel awkward. :confused:

Edit : Added the right pic

Just check the required d/V for a Duna encounter, then cross reference it with yours. You can work out your d/V using the equation or just use Kerbal Engineer.

EDIT - Hurr, just realised you already have Kerbal Engineer...

Well the first part still applies.

One thing jumps to mind immediately; you have an awful lot of nuclear engines for such a small load (and such a small fuel package). You would be much better off with a single nuclear engine for your interplanetary - with a load that small your burn time will still be quite short. Always try and do interplanetary on as few engines as possible (more just means less efficiency due to the added weight, and nuclear engines are rather heavy on a craft that size) unless your burn time becomes far too large (I try and aim to keep mine under 5 minutes to escape Kerbin SOI).

After that it just becomes all about getting the angle between the two planets right, and your departure angle from Kerbin right. I highly recommend protractor to help until you get used to 'eyeballing' it.

I would suggest dropping a couple of those nuclear engines,you definitely don't need that many for an Interplanetary rocket,especially with that payload.

Edited by Runboy
Spelling

Based on the Kerbal Engineer, you should definitely have enough delta-v to get to Duna, but I also agree with the majority of commenters here: drop all but one or two of the nuclear engines off your final stage and you should see quite an increase in delta-v!

I did some modifications.This are the results:

Without the side engines and with 2 side fuel tanks it has a total Delta V of 12 961 m/s

Without the side engines and with 4 side fuel tanks it has a total Delta V of 14 242 m/s

Without the side fuel tanks it has a total Delta V of 10 982 m/s

With any engine it is something below

Stripped everything that wasn't necessary and this is the result , this time the Redux is set to Kerbin.This is the final look:

35bcu9e.png

Edit: 1 more minor change.

I changed the Rockomax Brand Adapter with the Rockomax Brand Adapter 02 and gained 1 m/s Delta V :sticktongue:

Edited by SoldierHair

If I'm reading that right, it looks like after you drop the launch vehicle, you'll have 8258 delta-v in Low Kerbin Orbit. That should be much more than enough to get you to Duna and back even with less-than-ideal transfer burns. Do it right, and you might even still have those drop tanks when you reach Duna's orbit.

If I'm reading that right, it looks like after you drop the launch vehicle, you'll have 8258 delta-v in Low Kerbin Orbit. That should be much more than enough to get you to Duna and back even with less-than-ideal transfer burns. Do it right, and you might even still have those drop tanks when you reach Duna's orbit.

Why stop at Duna? That should be enough to get anywhere in the Kerbol system! :D

Now it has 10 219 m/s in low kerbin orbit , the question is "Will i ever get an intercept with another planet?".Katyusha is in a good orbit to get to Duna , but i might have to wait a few years to actually get an interception.

That's an enormous amount of Delta V you have now... You'll be able to do really inefficient transfers and make plenty of mistakes and still be able to make it. Consider the following approx numbers (taken from one of the delta v maps)

Take off to Low Kerbin Orbit: 4500 m/s

LKO to Duna Intercept Burn: 1060 m/s

Plane Shift: Negligible

Making Duna Obit: In theory about 370m/s, but in practice nearly free if you aerobrake (maybe 50m/s for corrections).

Duna Landing: Close to being free if you parachute correctly (maybe 100m/s to drop periapsis into atmosphere and get the speed perfect for landing)

TOTAL OUTBOUND: 5710m/s

Take off to Low Duna Orbit: Wiki says 1500-2000 so lets go with 1750 m/s

LDO to Kerbin Intercept Burn: Wiki says 620 m/s

Plane Shift: Negligible

Making Kerbin Orbit: Free (Aerobrake)

Kerbin Landing: Free (Parachutes - more expensive if aiming to land at a particular spot)

TOTAL INBOUND: 2370m/s

TOTAL: 8080m/s for a complete launch -> transfer -> land -> launch -> transfer -> land Journey

Note: numbers very approx and i may have missed something - ballpark figures only.

14000 dV will take you a really long way, but I agree, interplanetary stuff is tricky. I've done a return mission from Duna, but I wasted an incredible amount of fuel, as I'm yet to tweak my encounters close enough for aerobreaking.

What moon could i land on?Right now i have an encounter with Tylo , but i don't think i can land there using only the nuclear engine (since it has no atmosphere i don't think the chute works there).

So , Laythe or Vall?

So , i went to Vall.Right now i have a periapsis of ~130km and apoapsis of ~460km.

I don't want surprises , i will ask again:

Does parachutes work on Vall?

Also i have 127 Liquid Fuel and 155 oxidizer.

I got some nice pics as well

Vall and Tylo

eqt1th.png

Jool and Laythe

205imf.png

Congrats! All very exciting when you first make it.

You cannot aerobrake or use parachutes at Vall as it has no atmosphere. It's also a bit larger than any of the moons you'll have been to yet - your looking at about 1200 m/s to land and around 2000 to take off and make orbit again, should you want to so that's quite a bit! For now you can always land and then send a rescue mission later :)

You may also want to consider the following.... Pol is very small and easy to land on and not that hard to get to. Bop is also very small and easy to land on, though it's a lot harder to get to due to it's inclination. Laythe is very easy to get an intercept with, and you can both aerobrake and land with parachutes so getting down is easy (though getting back up is more expensive). Avoid Tylo as its probably one of the hardest places to land (high gravity but no atmosphere). Very, very approximate delta-v values (so many factors that can effect this) for getting from a low Jool orbit to a moon and landing only are...

Laythe: 1600m/s (Assuming aerobrake and parachutes)

Pol: 3580m/s

Bop: 3656m/s

Vall: 3936 m/s

Tylo: 6200 m/s

So if you find yourself struggling with Vall which is actually a fairly delta-v intensive landing, consider one of the smaller moons, or better yet, Laythe :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.