What is the purpose of making bases on other planets?

Joey

I just have got my first two ships in Kerbin orbit, so I guess my next step should be to land on Mun. I am just wondering, is there an actual gain that comes out of landing ships on Mun? Is there features like mining that I don't know about?

Your next step should be what you want to do, if you want to try an make a base, great. If u wanna send satellites out, great... Muck about on kerbin with jets and wheeled vehicles. Also great, do what you find enjoyable. But currently, stock has no benefit for doing anything other then u having achieved it... Afterall. A lot of people that play games would do a lot less just because the game said "this is your objectove"... This game gives you the freedom to play how u like. U can make your own objectives. Or go on the challenge forum and complete some of them.... Or you could try starting your own pen and paper career mode until the official one is implemented.... Not to mention all the additional stuff mods give u, like already stated. Kethane is a good place to start... Some awesome looking space station and base parts out there too, and I saw someone working on a mod that will let you construct your own VABS on other planets and moons.... Really the possibilities are almost endless

I just have got my first two ships in Kerbin orbit, so I guess my next step should be to land on Mun. I am just wondering, is there an actual gain that comes out of landing ships on Mun? Is there features like mining that I don't know about?

You want to go to the Mun and do the other things, not because its easy, but because it is hard

There are anomalies to visit on most places, but once you've landed a Kerbal on every planet and moon, and then returned to Kerbin, you've essentially completed the game.

What is the purpose of making bases on other planets?

What is the purpose of going to orbit?

What is the purpose of making anything in this game?

You just build things and play with it. Purpose is to achive some personal goals and to have fun

I don't build bases at the moment. I will when resources come in, but at the moment, bases just seem like an easier version of manned return missions: no return required.

I'd rather do a land and return mission, and if I'm feeling like a tougher challenge, I bring along a rover (but I still return to kerbin at the end).

With the coming resources, or the Kethane mod, you could build a base that works as a centre of operations for exploring a moon or planet.

Wether this is more practical than a station depends on the circumstances. An orbiting station can more easy reach many different places, using landers, but this requires your landers to be capable of reaching orbit at a single stage.

A plane, rover, or sub-orbital vehicle from a base does not need to reach orbit, but must travel all the way to its destination on its own.

Apart from that, it can be pretty fun starting a little establishment on another body.

There isn't even a point in launching a rocket.

We do it because it's cool!

Not to put too fine a point on it, but what is the point of making buildings in the game Minecraft? But Minecraft is one of the most popular games currently available, so for all that it is a lot of fun.

Except in KSP it is a quite engrossing and challenging puzzle to perform tasks like planetary bases.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.