Kerbumpkin Chunkin!

Having seen way to many Pumpkin Chunkin specials on Discovery...it dawned on me that this is an ideal Kerbal pursuit.

So...

It's Kerbal Chunkin Time!

Rule #1: At point of launch/release, your designated Kerbumpkin (Kerbanaut) shall fly unassisted and unattached to anything else.

Rule #2: Your chunkin apparatus must remain fixed/stationary on the launch pad.

Bragging rights for the following:

- Farthest Distance from KSP launch platform (screenshot)

- Highest Altitude Achieved (screenshot)

- Biggest Catastrophic Failure of Launch Apparatus (video required)

Restrictions:

No Mod restrictions, anything goes.

Please post a screenshot of your complete launcher so we can marvel at your Kerbal Skillz.

This challenge shall remain open for as long as people continue to submit and break records. The top 3 in each category will be periodically updated in this post.

Edited by BubbaWilkins

eHr3zLf.png

Here is Bob Kerman standing in front of the launching device (What's left of it anyways)

8XvezMZ.png

My flight results, highest altitute of 5383m

The only modded part I used was a smaller fuel tank from the KSPX pack, just so that the climb up the ramp wasn't as steep.

And yes, he survived the fall.

eHr3zLf.png

Here is Bob Kerman standing in front of the launching device (What's left of it anyways)

8XvezMZ.png

My flight results, highest altitute of 5383m

The only modded part I used was a smaller fuel tank from the KSPX pack, just so that the climb up the ramp wasn't as steep.

And yes, he survived the fall.

Ground distance?

Ground distance?

Oh damn, I thought I had it in the picture, I'll have to relaunch to find out ._. (wish I had saved the vehicle >_>) I'll do another run soon.

EDIT: here is my run, it wasn't as high as the last one (and I don't think it went as far over the ground either)

3q8XBfp.png

Edited by Tachy0n

Oh damn, I thought I had it in the picture, I'll have to relaunch to find out ._. (wish I had saved the vehicle >_>) I'll do another run soon.

EDIT: here is my run, it wasn't as high as the last one (and I don't think it went as far over the ground either)

3q8XBfp.png

Survived the fall also?

Meet KerbCannon 1.0, also known as "The Monster."

SNdekDy.png

Note how the image is at night– we don't want people finding out about this piece of hardware... Actually the guys down in VR just don't know how to make a sun.

wZ1itcE.png

Meet Matsby Kerman, our VR test pilot. This might just be virtual reality, but he's still not sure about it...

The launch procedure is too fast to be seen, so let's just go to the results:

PE5dOKc.png

This is the best test so far– over 5.3 kilometers... Straight. Up.

J5dW3Nm.png

Nice view of Mun...

0gMHwn4.png

but Matsby isn't so sure this was a good idea.

96xsG0j.png

It was an epic success! Don't worry about Matsby, I have it quicksaved (VR testing!) so he's not actually dead. 2.4 Gs is good, it won't kill you on launch, and while you can't see it, Matsby broke the speed of sound on his way up.

Final verdict? The KerbCannon 1.0 is fantastic! For going straight up... Imagine this on Minmus! (I'll do that for kicks once Extraplanetary Space Centers is out)

It seems that kerbals are much more aerodynamic with the FAR mod, so it might be a bit unfair.

Here's my kannon.

screenshot48s.png

It launched the kerbal 64km and the launch clamps followed him the whole way.

screenshot52w.png

screenshot53w.png

And so I built one to shoot him up.

screenshot55q.png

screenshot57b.png

Of course I forgot to take a picture of the results, but if you can trust me, it was 51km

Maybe FAR shouldn't be allowed.

omfg yes! Punkin Chunkin is so much fun to watch XD here's my entry, a "kannon" with 20 mainsails that pretty much obliterates itself when it's fired (video coming soon XD):

504oJjuh.png

Yeah, there are reentry effects on the way up... 51 km and change, NOT using the FAR mod

Gdm8IOoh.png

After going splat: (I didn't even know it was possible to damage Kerbals with engine exhaust!) Ground distance is pretty far as well, so I'll include this entry in both categories (height and distance)

ODSI4afh.png

Edited by Ekku Zakku

something other than a kerbal cannon!! quite impressive!

do you have a craft file for that?

I created a new game just for this, so I should be able to find the save file. I'll try to post up later this evening with it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.