Deepest point on Kerbin's Ocean...

MaverickSawyer

I recently transferred a mapping satellite that I had used to create a complete map of the Munar surface (ISA Mapsat) back to Kerbin to fill in the blank patches left by a botched attempt to raise the orbit of the previous mapping craft (It seems to quit after 500 km altitude). One of the early passes with the new craft revealed what appeared to be an impact crater on the shore of one of the larger landmasses (Find it yourself! :P). I thought nothing of it until I noticed that a larger spot of purple was in the northern reaches of the crater's submerged section. A quick reference to the altimetry stipe at the bottom revealed this to be around 1 km deep water. Can anyone confirm this with a mission? I am not good at making subs...

The Tempest said:
Has anyone noticed the =D face south of KSC? I used logomatic and Surfer 11 demo to create this map.

2z908ly.png

[snip]

But in all seriousness, I don't think you can actually sink something on Kerbin. Merely force it under the water with thrust and even that works only marginally well.

Edited by Deddly
Please keep it clean

But the water is so dense that ANYTHING that hits it at a high speed will surely be disintegrated upon impact.:P

Not exactly. You can utilize the error of physics engine at high velocity to "dive" into water without destroying stock parts.

The Orange Tank was full, still floated.

I did have to detatch almost everything that I used for landing it. I think I only had a couple lights, the one man capsule, an RTG or two, and the themometer and barometer. My first attempt had radial parachutes on the tank itself and barely sank.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.