Ferrams Aerospace Research and MechJeb

CoriW

Well I've been using MechJeb for quite some time, namely for the Smart ASS and Throttle Control.

But a problem has arisen... I recently also got Ferrams Aerospace Research, and upon my first launch using the plugin, I noticed that the Throttle Control on MechJeb wasn't limiting my launch to terminal velocity like it should be and I ended up at a good 400m/s at an altitude of only around 1500m, which of course because of the Deadly Reentry plugin... Blew me up.

So I've been told by somebody that apparently MechJeb and Ferrams Aerospace Research are not compatible because they use different drag models, and I can understand that but wouldn't that mean that only the parts of MechJeb related to drag would be broken? (As an example the Smart ASS still works.) I didn't think that the "Limit to terminal velocity" used the drag, I though it used the speed.

But anyways, I guess the point of this post is to ask if there is any way I can get the "Limit to terminal velocity" option in MechJeb to work with Ferrams Aerospace Research?

EDIT: MechJeb 2.0.7

Edited by CoriW

I didn't think that the "Limit to terminal velocity" used the drag, I though it used the speed.

Teminal velocity is the point at which your drag force matches the force applied by gravity and you stop accelerating.

If you change the drag then you change the terminal velocity, so it may well be working. I suspect the problem is more likely to be Deadly Re-entry.

...I suspect the problem is more likely to be Deadly Re-entry.

I use deadly Reentry and don´t have this issue. But when I use FAR I get the same result as OP. So I think it´s the combination of FAR & MJeb.

On that install I operate throttle manually or limit accelleration like AmpsterMan allready proposed.

I use deadly Reentry and don´t have this issue. But when I use FAR I get the same result as OP.

You don't have an issue with FAR and DR but you do?

DR and Mechjeb together shouldn't conflict, they're both working off the stock drag model. DR and FAR may do though.

maybe I did not make it clear so once again (sorry, but english isn´t my native language;)):

DR causes no problems with MJeb for me.

FAR & MJ produces same result as opening poster described.

So my conclusion is that it´s an issue with MJ & FAR in conjunction.

And you are right, using DR & FAR together makes successful reenty a real challenge ;)

Under FAR, the non-far drag calculations all return 0 - so mechjeb thinks there's no atmosphere to worry about, meaning terminal velocity is infinite, and landing trajectories will not include air resistance effects on landing site or max drag g estimates (roughly corresponding to DRE heating.)

Last I heard, "they" are getting together to fix it. Not sure who "they" are though, if it includes Ferram. It's in the last few pages of the MJ2 thread, and will probably only apply to MJ2.

(sorry, but english isn´t my native language;)
Your english was fine - clear and unambiguous.

There are two issues with FAR that keep me from using it. This is one of them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.