4 members have voted

1. 1. What Module/Action do you want to see

• Another Habitat Module
    • Landing Of Module mover(s)
    • Another Solar Farm
    • A Science Module
    • A Garage (user Submitted most likely)
    • A Base Core
    • Station in LKO Construction (for communication and organizing round-8 trips to Mun)
    • Station in LMO Construction (For Organizing

Cool project, i will be following your mission update reports. I really like the overview maps from the buggy tracks. Good luck with your base reincarnation

! A response! No, it cannot be...

Thank you! I do appreciate your comment - you've tuned in at the right time too, a new expedition will be coming shortly, just when I can get the emblem request thread moved back to general ksp discussion

Zelia takes flight

The long worked on top-of-the tech Zelia Communication Satellite (ZCS) launched today in order to establish nearly continuous communications with the SESEOR Munbase - a night time launch made for a dramatic scene:

Launchpad

K7w1yST.png

0j3cGaX.png

ZlodfCb.png

Booster Seperation

x32iarp.png

1vNnfl8.jpg

Shroud Seperation

qZzFAdw.png

1e7MkDC.png

BLHaVfJ.png

TMI

Z3Zh3og.png

The satellite

jfSW1QF.jpg

mW9TwvL.jpg

Antenna Deployed

VL3lr24.jpg

Now when I say this I really mean it

The mountain range at the north is about 6500 m off the surface normal - I was coming in at 6000

It was... a tight squeeze

KFEEWXQ.jpg

m2i9ccl.png

Olc8JaC.png

The satellite even flew through a valley - its very cozy put it that way - the last stage seperation was used to boost the altitude by 6000 m so the stage hit the surface and didn't interfere with any communications

• 3 weeks later...

-------OFFICIAL DOCUMENT OF SESEOR PROJECT--------

Due to the substantial disruption at the Computing Center at KSP, the Project will be temporarily halted in order for a full recovery

-----------------------MESSAGE END-------------------------

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Phoenix from the Ashes...

I warn you now: There is a lot of stuff here!

Training missions begin for a new phase of the Project

Good news, bad news: We'll start with the bad to stop the pain...

Bad news:

SESEOR base lost due to

-Redesign of Mun landscape

-Resulting in burial

-Landscape where base previously was is gone - replaced by dips and hills

BAD NEWS OVER!

Good news!

The new site:

xcLgXkf.jpg

The new site ( only about 1km away from the old one in the same region ( which i will christen with a decent name (some day...) has been picked and will soon have new arrivals

The base reconstruction allows me to sort out a couple of things:

-Docking systems - previously, I had a variety of docking systems (e.g. two docking ports (normal), one normal one jr docking port and the large docking port) I have now picked the large docking port for compatibility and ease of use + Form

-Power - a lot of the time, one rtg can power a whole base forever - I personally see this as dull. I will add (if I remember ) Probe bodies x2 (at least) to each part so that there is an electrical demand not the batteries doing nothing

-Spacing- One problem I found very difficult to tackle on Kerbin when designing the modules was spacing - the legs were too long (and I Have to use the legs otherwise it wobbles a lot) and that the docking ports weren't long enough to compensate. So I have re-designed the plan of layout and have summerized (ish) the layout in this doodle:

UAAhNnI.png

LMO Station "Julius" Is Born

(This awesome insignia is from Rodion- thanks dude!)

cKqiMBJ.png

The white board on the side of my wall next to my screen says a number of things. One of them is now rubbed out. It says "Name and create LMO Station" I did it.

The Mission began after the final design had been completed. The lander-can in the middle, strut above with normal docking port and gigantor solar panels and underneath, RCS and Larger docking port

ilCxKMW.png

Liftoff!

XGuIGKf.png

Munward

3SCdSxP.png

Gravity Turn - no issues so far

9ZE3QyY.png

Stage Separation!

SJEnEuQ.png

8ay7umD.png

Next Stage sep!

OexeI1i.png

4QCBcXH.png

DeCaVKr.png

The Solar panel activation

DhLGv11.png

gOsSP4x.png

Bp3KU5Z.png

The Julius Station now awaits the training mission by Tomtrey, Newbree and Doodby - I consider the "Originals" in the SESEOR LKO MTC (Maneuver Training Craft)

On launch (note how there is a wing in the booster (my bad)

u69uRId.png

Stage Separation

RbiPcfj.png

And goes on its way - a busy launchpad today, its closely followed

LKO GAV lifts off

On launchpad

oPFEF9x.png

Liftoff!

KWR95vb.png

Stage separation - boosters with parachutes

Rni3azL.png

v3ejbyn.png

qKfY5Qk.png

You can see the actual module at the top now- two solar panels, some fuel and a docking port- perfect to power the trainer craft as it has no solar panels and good for training too (There is similarities to this craft IRL

XvpOfhZ.jpg

Compare the two and see the inspiration

CU8Ofnw.png

GAV Warm-up

ICwThXg.png

EgeRYlz.png

gZiFvv8.png

MCxLhdI.png

Meanwhile, back in the Trainer...

hxtF658.png

Doodby: Open the port will you Tomtrey

Tomtrey: On it

wxLa3JH.png

Tomtrey: Doors are open, Julius prepare for our arrival over

Julius: Rodger that

After some maneuvers, the Trainer and Julius station were close enough for RCS and docking

sAcv4N4.png

jrPzRVg.png

Milmon leaves the station to say hello - Nelrim stays inside checking systems

twUBmVH.png

After the friendly chat and images for the press, the GAV arrives

yw2Anxo.png

Training with the GAV

JT8A49o.png

The trainer retrogrades away and separates after transferring needed fuel to the engine which will send the Julius station to the Mun orbit. After separation, a skip through the atmosphere then a gradual descent of fire

UG95zp5.png

Parachute deployment

2742oLP.png

Upon landing, the crew get out, take some pictures and stretch their legs. They are recovered 1 hour later

amvVgbS.png

Edited by Rhyunix

Julius Moves Into Position

cKqiMBJ.png

Milmon: Begin Burn

JsVQtTN.png

Nelrim: Woo, feel that go!

2GrT4AN.png

Milmon: Burn complete, we're on our way Control

Control: Roger that

URdSk2c.png

Milmon: Approaching Orbital destination, burn will commence shortly - Nelrim! Stop Eating snacks you animal!

Nelrim: Muffled denial

gfV4xsz.png

Milmon: Its beautiful - so close, I want to reach out and touch it. Mesmerizing

f7ZcPv4.png

Milmon: Commencing Burn!

w1fkKPw.png

Milmon: Burn complete, separating orbital stage - activate remote guidance. Its all yours Control

n8aUPKC.jpg

fmzJVUu.jpg

Control: We've got it from here. You fellas set up the final details and then get a good rest - surgeon says you need it after this long period of concentration. Control Out.

TY60jPJ.png

Stay Tuned for more activity soon!

Edited by Rhyunix

The Freight Arrives (Part.1)

(OOC) After Julius had been positioned in a high equatorial orbit, I left it out of the equation and focused on what needed to be rebuild. I had in mind this post being on a research project of mine involving a rover but then I thought that actually, I had no base for it (facepalm) Here is the news anyway:

The freight: SESEOR Hab 1

The newly designed habitat module consists of more stuff which I will explain the usefullness of later on

Liftoff!

ulnIpLv.png

Full power!

inN1f4G.png

Stage Separation

mxvh3aT.png

jH4MBVl.png

Fi8WJrN.png

JBIPejU.png

A nice, dramatic night launch

BFOIsRG.png

Stage Separation (note the asparagus)

BprMtNY.jpg

TP824R6.png

wYOgo3A.png

fzVRZK4.png

The 1st stage's final stage burning strong

cQRM9P0.png

Stage 2 Starts its burn

a5xg1K7.png

QnZoLic.png

Burn is nearly over

e5EjIJo.png

Stage 3 kicks in. I find a major issue. The weight of the new module is far higher than anticipated. This can't be good.

4FBFbmM.png

(You can really see now the new design, its been made so that I don't have an issue which, again, I will explain later)

dPFfMLg.png

And so as the situation becomes dire, I resort to my brain and hope. Question is...

gNQWAI0.png

Will I succeed?

Find out in Part 2

Edited by Rhyunix

Freight Arrives Part.2

Where I left off, the SESEOR Hab 1 was running out of fuel. After the burn, there was barely enough for sub-orbital so I used the landing engines to limp into orbit

I was stuck- Then came the first stroke of Kerbal Ingenuity

Launching the SESEOR Mega 1 HLV

The newest launching vehicle, the Mega 1 HLV was designed to take a variety of payloads into a Kerbin Orbit. Now it was rapidly altered for fuel carrying

On the launchpad, it looks similar to the Mun mission launchers

3DHsxhn.png

Liftoff

wJQ5h3r.png

UcE8QGj.png

Engines are at 80%

WkK4olP.png

Stage separation

HW7J7gG.png

1st Stage second engine still going strong into sub-orbital trajectory

1M1ZRMx.png

Stage Separation (at some crazy angle)

1dxsXwj.png

m1VHOPW.png

Burning away

hlN2iEq.png

wmiE9RR.png

Now in the intercepting orbit, I turn the fuel payload around and prepare for the braking

JjapdFh.png

Target is visually confirmed and I turn on the RCS and tracking systems (aka SAS)

OUkquUM.png

70 m away

4H9T3jB.png

30 m away, adjusting angles

6ldvz7a.png

20 m away, slowing down (OOC: I've done this before so not really breaking a sweat)

DTWi3CT.png

5 m, prepare for connection!

UOhd0q0.png

Docking sequence completed, fuel transfers begun

DREZFzk.png

Back at KSC, a dilemma has formed- Their calculations estimated there was not enough fuel for both the TMI and the MOB. SESEOR scientists disagreed. I did too

What happened

xQENEcJ.png

I screwed the flight-plan Experimented with burn methods- same outcome, couldn't get there. In conclusion, Mission failure

NOT TODAY

GKFDW90.png

What (With the help of Kerbal Censorship) Really happened

Stroke of Kerbal Ingenuity No. 2

I The SESEOR Scientists came up with another idea - the fuel payload had a measly Poodle engine. However with trial and many an error calculations, both the Scientists and KSC figured that It could be done - they transferred back the fuel to the re-fueler and detached the Would-be TMI stage.

6McqBbz.png

The burn began

XunAfDh.png

It was long, tense and boring

But, after the 2:30 s burn, the trajectory readouts state that the Mission is still good -

The question is; will the module make it to the surface?

Find out in part 3

Edited by Rhyunix

The Freight Arrives Part 3, Part 1

At this point, SESEOR's dilemmas seem to be over- now the focus is on the landing of the module itself

We left off on our way to the Mun. Now we start the Transit

FmJ3gZb.png

This gives me a lot of time to ramble as I don't get these opportunities during the other updates as there are far too many images for it to be fun to read and look.

As I've said, the SESEOR base parts have been redesigned. I didn't mention the second redesign from the previous post - Some of you may of gathered this if you looked at the planned concept and the module that is currently on its way to the Mun. This module has four adaptions. You may wonder why. I shall tell you:

The modules themselves have specific margins of size so that they don't way too much and so that they won't collide with each other on the ground. The adaptions you see are to avoid legs colliding with the main body of the habitat module. It enables all kinds of specialized modules to be added to the main module. As such, there is no real "core module", only a variety of other modules that will, most likely, be coming off the main body of habitat modules. For example, the power modules (TBC) will come to be docked sideways. This is due to the two docking modules being mounted on the same axis. They will be either connecting other modules or will be branching off the main modules. I hope this explains that, will detail if people don't understand with a diagram (yay diagrams :sticktongue: )

Now to the good stuff

mB1scPA.png

Leaving the Kerbin world behind in the Transfer

TRBQpUz.png

The Mun is getting closer. In the Mun's SOI, really close now, turned retrograde for the short burn for a roughly equal parking burn and orbit

CG96Vur.png

Burn commencing

p0C6d9G.png

With the puny poodle engine, everything is slower but incredibly efficient

6LaYhKu.png

Finishing up the burn

FuCHbXW.png

Done! Nice equatorial, equal and high orbit. When the base is in position, we shall burn retrograde to get down and land. Thats for part 2 though :)

Maintenance Part 1

At this point, the First Base module is in a equatorial orbit waiting for the right time to land when the position is on the light side of the Mun. So I decided to do some maintenance and additions.

The first addition is the new module to the Hybrid KOSMOS space station in LKO

The Teic Module

Pronounced te-hei-c, this module is an adapter for the larger, senior docking ports. It is launched on the Mega-1 HLV

Liftoff!

Rz7xtgn.png

YsV6dxe.png

5HLAgtv.jpg

Not the Mun this time- only LKO

ThmBUt5.png

First stage boosters burned out, stage seperation

RU5CccB.png

zczBYIM.png

389CtrE.png

iNUX3nr.png

Gravity turn for orbit- throttling back

HH3YNFf.png

Engine cut-off, first stage is used for orbital synchronous

V1zQlak.png

Solar panels unfolding

V1zQlak.png

s4w7Cng.png

Ggve5rA.png

xI8G5Xa.png

An orbit later, we are nearly in position

l4C8WZb.png

WTdkjPG.png

Its at this point that I realize that I have way too much fuel. So I ditch the stages sporadically and hope they don't hit the station. I will come back to those in another update

Rna9P9f.png

Folding back in the solar panels do avoid damage- The solar panels are retracted for the last time

QcNEP5e.png

10 m

H1ohMqT.png

5 m

XqGvabQ.png

Docked. The new module will be the main structure of new additions to the aging station

QlWvifI.png

SESEOR Julius Munar Station receives a Hab 1

The new Hab 1 module is about 10 tonnes and can easily be launched, again, from the Mega-1 HLV

On the pad

2YsnrIm.png

Liftoff!

QEpyVEA.png

Full power for maximum lift during launch

lZRjBBY.png

Gravity turn- the HLV can easily run at 30% power and still get up quite a speed (bearing in mind I can't gravity turn at all)

qrCMXR1.png

Stage Separation

vzC3rNs.png

AqNDbMV.png

Burning at about 40% for the orbital insertion

pV77EYF.png

The hab module visible now- the adapter attached to the habitat module is for further additions to the Julius Station itself

Y8paYTW.png

Going for orbit

g1xs5pu.png

Nearly there

mxYHtW6.png

Stage separation

hXFF9ML.png

ZDgd3wY.png

Burning for the Mun

uJjayju.png

Its a long burn for the Mun

roUdARC.png

But we get there. Transfer underway

n1lWfPN.png

And this is where the problems begin

As the sub-title suggests, the problem starts here. Its honestly something so large, I simply can't deal with it.

Orbital Mechanics

What Actually the calculated discovered issue is

Every time, every time, I try to go for the Mun in the direction that the station is orbiting, and I know I'm doing it right, that's how it got there, the orbit sends me the wrong way. The thing I'm most likely to have to do is over-burn, then retro-burn and try to swing round and speed up into the orbit. Probably sounds more complicated than it is but there are no images to demonstrate. And so, I leave this update with my dilemma. I will return with Part 2 when I have the time as this week is going to be busy.

Edited by Rhyunix

• 3 weeks later...

Maintenance Part 2

cKqiMBJ.png

I have done it! Actually minimal trial and error involved!

Beginning the burn that I prayed would work

yx4f1WJ.png

Of course, the burns drag out due to the puny poodle, but all the more dramatic

GYAlWdu.png

In the shadow of Kerbin, adding to the cinematic-like scenario

33Kyn33.png

Cruising TMO via a parabolic trajectory, we arrive for braking

p99hoTP.png

A somewhat small burn commences

LUYTCLH.png

Burn finishes and at apoapsis, a small correction burn adjusts our interception

f6Afkrj.png

Target is spotted

jwpJBi0.png

Closing in, we now ditch the power probe at the front of the ship so we can dock- this leaves us with limited power; a time limit

iw3Tecv.png

100 m

iB3dBR5.png

50 m

10m

Docked!

iCHRvU6.png

The new module will be the building block of the station- next, I will add communications so the station can fulfill its purpose

Edited by Rhyunix

LSP Marks the Spot

A whole month of inactivity! I haven't touched KSP for all that time so I came back today to re-ignite the burning initiative I had before. This is the start of that re-ignition

The SESEOR Board decided that it should revise probe design for the landing beacon of the SESEOR main site. They looked through the many designs that had made it onto paper but not to the launchpad, those that had got there and failed and those that worked. The scientists finally settled with a remodel of the last immobile probe from the Infinity series- they christened the new probe design the LSP, Light Scientific Probe. They then designed a payload launcher to be compatible with the new design. The rocket was ready and the launch was to take place at night:

On the launchpad, T-5

c3Gewyj.jpg

Launch!

uSUna2V.png

You can see the launcher now, inspired by an Araine Variant re-vamped by the bright fellows in SESEOR's design bureau

Pulling away

0k2e8f5.png

Stage separation

BYqw1uR.png

GE5vO6o.png

G6rYvs2.png

RenFcxO.png

Gravity turn for orbit

CJUkRtX.png

zc3rjAr.png

Second stage separation

4OoH6aa.png

UddhyKR.png

0sp3U1G.png

X91PshJ.png

Burning away from the spent stage, making good progress

rJebRZR.png

After a while, I waited for the apoapsis- Began the burn for a roughly equal orbit

YuUZhIQ.png

GCB8n2Z.png

Into the darkness... I complete the equalizing orbit and wait for Mun-rise

4M1rGdy.png

And back to the light for the TMI burn

Po0DZck.png

Finishing the third, orbital stage

5oUOIdl.png

3hjEfKh.png

aZoczyR.png

Burn is continued with the TMI/ LMO unit

saxLt7y.png

Finished the burn, on our way

nYmq3pc.png

Testing the legs before the probe is set to powered down mode- the legs are left like this to prevent malfunctions minutes before landing

vfXfw9L.png

Fully extended, probe is beginning to power down now

MmTSxe1.png

The probe is now visible to describe- The main purpose of the probe is to mark the location of the base. The antenna is extended upon landing to transmit basic geographical data and co-ordinates to the KSC Data facility. Then, it becomes a beacon and the solar panels power a small emitter that repeats a signal in radio waves displaying the location and distance from the approaching ship.

8cYMSWh.png

Approaching the Mun

CI4kYVF.png

Burning retrograde for an equatorial orbit

EiYiN8a.png

Finishing the burn, cruising to the next, plane change burn

TfPP2UZ.png

The small correction burn

kh3FaDJ.png

A rare shot; probably the first I've taken of the pole. This will be examined at home by the Geologists of the Data Department

aNRqwS8.png

Another rare shot, passing the south pole this time- the probe is nearing the burn point for the de-orbit

30FFaJm.png

The small, accuracy de-orbit burn

S69vtnl.png

The Mun is very close now

uhR0Zhe.jpg

Similar to many of my shots, the probe comes down at roughly the same trajectory as the modules will and used to

SMny1UH.png

Slowed right down, hanging on to the TMI/LMO stage still- we've slowed down right into the target crater although I had to keep checking as it didn't look like it with the overhaul The instruments got confused in the crater walls

Ain1xKu.jpg

Floating now, ditched the fume-less TMI/LMO stage and fired up the descent engine- the probe engine has enough fuel to hover as well as replace itself, acting as a movable beacon

7LCYFnP.jpg

Nearing the ground, steering was a lesson in itself

4wultpy.jpg

Found a suitable spot, descending now

rVuqWHA.jpg

Coming in slowly but at a correction angle

8gThxLS.jpg

Nearly there

vIa65jk.jpg

Down! The antenna is raised and information is returned to KSC

RWyJ6En.png

Shortly after this, we liftoff once more to a spot which I finally rest the probe on, I believe will be the main base location- Very glad that the fuel is enough to go short distance hopping

TM8YVQM.jpg

The view- the probe then went into beacon mode, Mission complete

qRlbRzU.png

The location is about 6.0 km from where Mt. Doodby used to be (the flag is the spot)

r1FCqHc.png

Next, the module in orbit will probably be landed followed by either another, a manned mission or a spontaneous combination of both. In the mean time, stay tuned!

Edited by Rhyunix

First Hab Module Down!

The module was finally in position and I had done all the other things that I wanted to get done. I began by planning the descent course in the burn planner, then moved to the location

About to begin the burn, doing all the final checks

bc9WMPY.png

Burning- another one of those nice moments floats by

pFJYvwj.png

Finishing up the burn

eIjJTsP.png

Decided to catch that nice moment, might find it a use

y6FwLjE.png

Rotating to the landing retrograde angle

mAcSDEY.png

Approaching the Mun at the bizarre angle I'm used to now

Se678gP.png

Saying a hurried but thoughtful goodbye to a respected piece of kerbal engineering that helped me keep my program running smoothly.

3FT1rFb.png

Burning away to avoid impacts; The module is a pain (as I've known and re-discovered) to fly

EJ0AJRU.jpg

mbCEZFx.jpg

Burning over the crater, we slow down from our previously crazy 400 m/s speed to a mere 30 m/s

5kUFZGq.jpg

Rotating to the target beacon; the on-board computer is guided by the beacon's frequency

ctJ25uY.jpg

Slowing right up now, the beacon is in sight, about 10 m/s, 50 m from the actual landing spot (it doesn't look that far but its a pain to get there)

crjUgS9.jpg

It now became a case of adjustments and panic burns to make sure that I can get close without risks

1kqCy8Y.jpg

7.5 m/s, 20 m away

n01fCXj.jpg

Touchdown! A few meters away the beacon glistens in the sun. The controllers start to breath so do I as well as the scientists. Its been a while since a major achievement of SESEOR has cropped up so this was a big success for the board

wypIfmY.png

Detaching the engines from the module- (Authors note:I plan to create several crafts for several issues, similar principle to Hobart's funnies)

71wI2OO.jpg

Next, we land some Kerbals!

(Authors Note: I should have a reasonably free holiday so I hope to do a lot of stuff over the holidays. No promises but that's the plan- Thanks for reading!)

Edited by Rhyunix

MunShuttle Tests begin

This update, I launched the necessity- the craft type had to be created; getting to the Mun wasn't just for landing missions. I could of used a KerMun Lander Mk 5, my most reliable **touches wood** launcher, lander and Command craft to date but I wanted the shuttle to be:

1. Its own line of craft due to experiment models and different versions for different things

2. So that it was its own craft for the job it was designed for instead of remodeling a KerMun Lander Mk 5

The craft is crewed by Rayden, Guston and Mersy Kerman who are in experience terms "neewbies" but have done experimental flight training so that they catch up and understand their new craft

On the pad, the craft looks quite lanky due to the lack of "Mun Boosters"- The larger boosters that I strap to almost everything reasonably sized going to the Mun

EvyUmZi.png

Ignition! Note the different launch sequence: Instead of straight up launch, I wanted to be confident in the craft not destroying itself

ZiiyKU6.jpg

Liftoff!

v7xj9Mk.jpg

At approximately 1,750 m, the boosters burnt out- Stage separation

ZltbKkC.png

QyT05ta.png

Lifting away from the pad; the boosters will land in the vicinity of KSC

nVmFPdw.png

Night time launches never get old

ZixRYQF.png

This launcher is quite efficient- running at 70% now, gaining speed without worries about fuel

dxwkduB.png

Stage separation, the engine burns out as I'm turning for gravity turn

6qW092D.png

4ZHh3Hr.png

NkpdBfP.png

Burning for the orbital stage- I now realise that the Mun isn't on the list of possible targets with this craft, SESEOR scientists are recording data and noting required needs

5n3Dzd3.png

So close...

Cr5lins.png

About half thrust now

0urP3lG.png

Powering down the would be orbital/TMI stage

4sLROI4.png

Stage separation, burning on the Poodle now

KBIvcHs.png

ukPbnOJ.png

The last image comes out funny as the dual separator blows up with the impact due to freak frame damage, scientists will follow this up to avoid further errrors

MQK2aJA.png

Burning for orbit

gRCERie.png

Tiny little burns at Apoapsis, final touches

dhcOs7n.png

Finished the burn

zpBO1ZA.png

Raydon: Well fellas, we're orbital

WuEeJYj.jpg

Mersy: Ok here, damn its dark though

Raydon: Welcome to space Mersy- winter wonderland

KX1MLiF.png

**Screenshot 404 above, oh God**

Raydon: You ok down there Gus?

L91BST8.png

pJOgGG0.png

Guston: I'm not "down there", Its space- there is no right side up

Raydon: Oh yea, my bad

Guston: No Problem

Mersy: What now?

Raydon: Activate the Antenna, open the solar panels

Mersy: Affirmative

Guston: Good machine here, just needs a pilots fine tuning

Raydon: And RCS...

Mersy: That too- It got us up here though

Raydon: ...Among the stars

KSC: MunShuttle 1, FT here- Good job on the launch. Any issues?

Mersy: Negative KSC, none that we won't discuss on the ground

KSC: Alrighte, we're scheduling a Training flight up to you, see how she does- the trainer's gonna come to you so catch some shut-eye and set an alarm in there

Raydon: Catch you on the far side KSC, out

Guston: And so we wait

HPuoe5E.png

Mersy: Snacks?

Unanimous approval

Meeting the MunShuttle

So, having parked the MunShuttle Mk 1 Experimental craft in an orbit, I decided to do two things at once- Refuel the MunShuttle and send it to Julius station and send a crew swap to the KOSMOS station (Kerbal Orbital Space Station Mission Of Science) The trainer crew are Cmdr Burrey, Deswell and Milzon

On the launch-pad, the trainer craft which I used before prepares to launch in the night:

31Z4JbR.png

Liftoff!

eES2ePQ.png

Soaring away

1WR38Mf.png

Getting higher up, further away

pNLROmj.png

Stage separation

mOykjsg.png

WV3Xskg.png

oP7jem6.png

Burning away with the main boosters- 50 seconds later they burn out

Stage separation

29csEqC.png

okLB34g.png

uolQWfh.png

Gravity turn

FuDXnxy.png

E3XeHDT.png

KjdJYvq.png

Nice screenshot I caught

Q4aEyXR.png

Sub-orbital trajectory now

MGaMg5H.png

Burning at apoapsis

WnLYA0x.png

Stage separation

l66Cywh.png

oYbykJw.png

Not this time

SuPdYSS.png

Orbit adjustments to change our course for the MunShuttle

13d6EgO.png

The glow of a new day

9BnTQk2.png

1 1/2 orbits later, I am nearly at the target- ditching the orbital stage

j94QAdD.png

71wULUB.png

1nFkVsa.png

I don't really take it into consideration as I rarely look at the planet as it causes lag but the speed that the orbit is achieving is sometimes hard to contemplate

8LNBZ26.png

Target sighted, approaching now

COhTCxQ.png

Burrey opens the Docking port shield and looks out his window

B66LLnF.png

Milzon: Goooood Morning MunShuttle 1, this Milzon from Trainer 1, please respond

Guston: (Fumbles for headset) Milzon, this is Guston here, check in

Mersy: There here!

ommky4p.png

Raydon:(Waving out the window) I can see you guys through your window, how's it going?

Milzon: Not bad at all- preparing to dock

ommky4p.png

Guston: 10 m, mark

zLUThGN.png

Burrey: Watch the shield covers

Mersy: Yep

DYnduON.png

Raydon: Standby...

m2AF99t.png

Clunk

Milzon: Congratulations, we're docked

EVqj6lM.png

Burrey: OK, we have secured the lock now

Clunk

Burrey: Anyone want to stretch their legs?

Milzon: I do- I'm getting out

Deswell: Preparing the hatch

UmPmTze.png

Milzon: Woohhhooo

Raydon: You be careful up there Milzon

Milzon: Yea, I know- no simulator matches this

UDFD2rY.jpg

Raydon: True, but nor does it fully match injuries that are possible

Milzon: I won't hurt myself, I'm just getting a breather

Guston: Can you see any damage on either craft?

Milzon: Negative. Going back in now, standby airlock

Deswell: Affirmative

fjpD4Fi.png

After sharing stories, snacks and fuel, the MunShuttle began preparations to undock, leaving the Trainer to catch up with the KOSMOS station at a later date

TrainerCom: Attention- Docking mechanism release T-8, 7, 6, 5...

Milzon: Until next time gentlemen

Guston: Farewell

Last shots of the ships together

ByBXFrk.png

iYAcCll.png

Running on RCS, the Trainer moves out of the way of the MunShuttle

GZHqFMl.png

Mersy: So long, Fellas

MvulKHw.jpg

Guston: You ok bud?

Mersy: ...

Guston: Yo, dude?

Mersy: Yea

6B2NiRE.png

Raydon: So long Kerbin, next stop, Mun orbit

7JsVoyv.png

Adjusting for the Mun

3LX3Vsk.png

Burning on course

qG5TbFz.png

On their way

pMAGUO0.png

6r9LBm8.png

Raydon: You ready?

Guston: Sure

30bxqpO.png

Raydon: Got everythi-

Guston: Yep

Raydon: ...

Mersy: You know, if anything goes wrong, we can open that lock in 12 seconds

Guston: It takes 5 seconds for me to die in space

Mersy: ...

D8TK40o.png

Raydon: We're just trying to be comforting-

Guston: What's comforting about stepping outside where its -151 Degrees in shade and 347 in sun?!

Mersy: Calm down Guston, we've made sure that nothing bad can happen

Guston: Right... calm

Raydon: That's the Guston I know- now get out there

Guston: Curses under his breath

NyM3Zuh.png

Guston: I'm out- I'm out

Mersy: He's gonna be alright, right?

Raydon: I sure hope so- this hasn't been done before so-

Mersy: We've gone to the Mun, probed space but haven't done this? What are you talking about?

Raydon: A space-walk at this altitude, never- we don't know much-

Mersy: So he's a guinea pig now!?

Raydon: My call, he's a guinea pig with balls, man

Mersy: That doesn't cure radi-

Guston: Frak!

MFOJCav.png

Mersy: Guston, you-

Guston: I lost grip... I lost grip-

Raydon: Son of a gun Guston, got me on the line there- damnit

Guston: Apologies

Raydon: Mersy, all clear?

Mersy: No issues on my display, your good to go Raydon

Raydon: Alright, I'm going out

BfT1RyA.png

Guston: You ok Raydon?

Raydon: Yep

Guston: Am I setting any records?

Raydon: Sorry pal, afraid not

Guston: Damn

Raydon: Beautiful isn't it- space; I mean come on, look at it

Guston: I can't miss it

Raydon: (Laughs) Sure can't. Its so... vast

Guston: To look into space's rich fruits of interest, you must have an open mind- Our world, down there, is forever changing. We can't see the opportunities that are right in front of us

Raydon: Its a real shame

Guston: ...

Guston: To think that we are the only ones open to see this moment

Raydon: We are the only ones that appreciate it truly

Guston: Agreed

Raydon: ... Sure hope it can be shared for Kerbin

Guston: Mhhmmm

Raydon: Just beautiful.

Mersy: Everything OK up there

Raydon: Yep

Guston: I'm going back in, lets go

Mersy: I'll prepare the lock

Guston: Rayd-

Raydon: Give me a minute

h4dkyFi.png

Mersy: Is he alright

Guston: Yea, just lost in space

Mersy: I don't -

Guston: He opened his mind

Mersy: To what?

Guston: The cosmos

Mersy: Damn...

Guston: Get in here Raydon

Raydon: On it

Finished the Transfer, in the Mun orbit now

Preparing for the burn

48IZCcE.png

That of course, will have to wait for the next update!

Edited by Rhyunix

Visitors to Julius

cKqiMBJ.png

Entering the Mun's SOI- I prepare for the burn

beXOqO6.jpg

Burning; It was a small burn due to the high periapsis

2sRUl57.jpg

Finished

VrmK56x.jpg

Travelling to the edge of the SOI of the Mun to meet Julius station

wtda2va.png

A small correction burn; changed the ETA of docking to one orbit

fC0KJzm.png

Whizzing round the Mun (Hooray for 500th screenshot!)

ev9j4pH.png

The solitude of High orbits is unreal

UggJB2t.png

Raydon: Spotted the station!

Mersy: Confirmed

afy8HN8.png

Raydon: Damn the Mun is far away

IZcwsjv.png

Guston: Instruments OK, begin docking

bUUnH1r.jpg

This docking had no RCS bar the stations and that was in effect, useless due to its size. It was the first time I'd ever needed to do or done anything like this but it demonstrates the craft's ease of use

gpUiLML.png

Nelrim: Hello there newcomers!

Mersy: Hi there Nelrim, how are you

Nelrim: Good but bloody bored- even the routinely-trained docking procedures are more interesting

Mersy: Well we've got no RCS so this will be lively

Nelrim: Best of luck chaps

8OVUDOh.png

Mersy: Coming in now

Nelrim: Right-o

HK01fd9.png

After some maneuvering, I the crew positioned it close enough for magnetism to take over

a3DrKkQ.png

8JkOHEX.png

Nelrim: Well done! Equalizing pressures, come on in when its ready!

Unfolding the solar panels

7pPZWYe.png

Milmon: Ok, when you're ready, come to us

Raydon: Affirmative

Guston: You're good to go Raydon

Mersy: Opening the hatch interior

Raydon: I'm out

Guston: Right

Mersy: Knock on their window, that'll be a good greeting

Raydon: (Laughs) Affirmative, watch this

WxiALh6.png

Milmon: Crikey!

Laughter

Raydon: (Laughing) Still got your socks?

Milmon: You guys...

Raydon: Whats it like up here?

Milmon: At the moment, routine. Since the comms module that we'll use to talk to the guys on the ground hasn't been launched yet, we're just staying alive

Raydon: How long will it be till the next module of any kind comes?

Milmon: I'm afraid I don't know

Raydon: Shame... coming to the hatch now

Milmon: Nelrim is at the hatch controls, standby

Raydon: I'm on the ladder, prepare for my arrival, over

Nelrim: Opening hatch now

Raydon: (Stumbles through hatch) Closing hatch

Nelrim: Yeah

Click

Raydon: Right, I'm getting this off for a bit, don't mind if I look around?

Nelrim: Not at all

Milmon: Nelrim, Guston is coming across now

Nelrim: OK, I'll guide him in

Nelrim: You there Guston?

Guston: Aye, coming past now

Nelrim: Grab the ladder and open the hatch manually, its locked

Guston: Why so?

Nelrim: Procedure

Guston: ...

Nelrim: You got the ladder

Guston: Yea, unlocking the hatch now

veULuXB.png

Nelrim: Glad you made-

Raydon: Guston! You got here!

Guston: Of course

Nelrim: So... you ready to stay up here?

Guston: Hope so

Milmon: I'm coming to you now

Nelrim: OK

Guston: Have you got beds?

Nelrim: Well, they are beds but more like strapped-down sleeping bags

Guston: Small price to pay for the mission

Milmon: (Opening the indoor hatch) Quite

Raydon: Milmon! My dear fellow (Shakes hand) A pleasure to meet you

Milmon: Likewise- I presume you've met Nelrim

Raydon: Indeed (Shakes hands with Nelrim) What a view you've got

Milmon: Magnificent isn't it

Guston: I've got the camera from our ship, we will use that here if its ok

Nelrim: Certainly, taking pictures for science is why we're here as well as research

Mersy: I'll come over in an hour when I'm done with the MunShuttle- I've heard of your pictures and science at home, would be quite interested to see what you've got instore

Nelrim: Well, I'd be much obliged!

Milmon: One more thing chaps- we have decided to create a mission log, a book of some description, on the station's computer and written in the book- we'd be privileged if you could start it for future crews. We are the first and so we want to set almost a tradition for those that visit.

Guston: Who came up with this?!

Nelrim: (Raises his hand) I-

Guston: My, its a good idea! I'll start it

Milmon: I'll get it in a min, in the mean time, would you like to familiarize yourselves?

Raydon: A tour?

Milmon: Only the best

(Laughter)

Next, we shall land things! Stay tuned!

Edited by Rhyunix

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.