Kerbal Disco on EVA Exit (solution)

HI,

I've made alot of hatches over time and never had any issues, but though I should post this because I've seen others have this problem but had no idea why and

until now I had no idea either :)

If you make a hatch and a command pod, and for some reason you need to rescale it, and you find that when you EVA your kerbal goes for a disco flight with lights

flickering, and also does not exit the EVA, it is most likely due to the rescale, which of course affects your Hatch object.

I recently had this issue when I had rescaled a rover body to 0.25 while I was testing a few things. Everything worked perfectly, but Hatch was obstructed, and no matter what I tried, it

was obstructed.

When I removed all the parts of the rover and left the hatch and tested that, instead of Hatch Obstructed, I got the Kerbal Disco:

image.php?id=2FB7_519C2456&jpg

Now, I normally do not re-scale objects less than 0.64, so I am unsure of what the cut-off is, but basically if you re-scale the part too much, the hatch just simply isn't capable of allowing an EVA.

So after re-scaling the part back, I found there was no problem at all.

Scaling the part down also scales the positions down relative to the world, so the hatch wouldn't be obstructed but your Kerbal would clip into the part if you scaled it down too much (although at some point the collider will be so small it doesn't matter). It looks like that's what's happening here, so making a version designed to be scaled down (move the hatch trigger out) would solve it.

Such is the trouble with relative positions. :rolleyes:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.