Switch the Command Module that is in Command in VAB ?

Hello, as I'm trying to set up a Roverbase on Minmus I came to a problem, I build my first rover in the SPH because its easy to build it there and then transferred parts of it via subassembly loader into the vhb, but to be able to attach it to the command module of the rover, i had to pick it as the first part too. Now it build my landing stage around it and attached another command pod above it, now i want to build the launcher stage beneath, but because of the main pod being sideways i cant use symmetrie accordingly.

Is there a way i can change which command pod is being the main-pod? I looked through the .craft already, but i cant find an option that says something like mainpod 1/0.

Please help my little kerbals fullfill their dreams.

screenshot370o.png

There are 2 answers to this problem. neither of them are what you want to hear though

option 1: edit the craft file in notepad, and change the command pod from there (this is difficult and problematic if you arent sure what you are doing.)

option 2: start a new craft with the correct command pod, and rebuild from scratch.

I see you have sub assembly loader though, this is by far the best option;

option 2a: using sub assembly loader, save the parts of the craft you want to keep, then start a new craft with the correct pod, and load the parts in.

Edited by corvus2606
spelling

I don't think what you want to do is possible at the moment, unfortunately.

The way the editors handle parts is that the first one you place is the "root" of your vessel, in the tree structure. As you can only place a command pod/probe core as the root, you will always have to build around that first part, and it will always be the only "main pod".

It would probably require another overhaul of the editors to change this, but I'm not sure they're planning to do that.

You could probably try to work around the issue with the subassembly loader by trying different possibilities, but then it is not SQUAD's job to find a way to make it work.

The only thing I can recommend is trying to build your rocket, and only then load the rover, but attaching it might prove difficult.

If i may ask, how do you would put a rover like this on another planet/moon? Or maybe you can show me some of your rovers in VAB or right before launch (when launching and landing stage are still included) ?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.