Dump your insanity here!

Rage097

*pout* Awwwwww, I was bout to call up a squadron of B5Ns....

Needs more Mitsubishi A6M2 or Junkers JU52.

Though my personal favorite is I'll cruise over your head at 30,000 feet in a B24J liberator and let the tailgun pick off all the fighters that come at me. Just gotta watch that they don't come up from beneath, there's no belly gun in a B24J.

needs VTOL

i don't need a awesome plane i have smart drones... dozens of them equipped with satelight aided targeting, defence and offence lasers and thousands of anti matter mini missiles all in geosynchronous orbit above your head ready for launch.

Edited by redwolfy

Ack you guys and your jet powered monsters.

I'm a sitting duck in this WWII piston powered classic.

Begs the question though, other than in the tail end of WWII when the first jet powered craft like the ME262 took to the skies did piston engine craft actually have a fighting chance against jets? Or did they unbalance things that badly even early on.

Needs more Mitsubishi A6M2 or Junkers JU52.

Though my personal favorite is I'll cruise over your head at 30,000 feet in a B24J liberator and let the tailgun pick off all the fighters that come at me. Just gotta watch that they don't come up from beneath, there's no belly gun in a B24J.

The Japanese plane in WWW2 often suffered from a lack of armour though were both very maneuvererble and had a good armament.

The JU52 has just 3 small machine guns to defend itself but the three engines made it reliable.

The B24 liberators suffered from gas fumes in the fuselage and so often caught fire as well as the wings. This made them very vulnerable from attack from above, which any experienced pilot would know to attack of B24 from. Only a novice pilot would stay on the tail of any bomber, you have to move slowly and are a easier target. Its best to attack the bombers from either the side or above or even frontal, if equipped with heavy armour, as they then find it harder to counteract these fast attacks.

I know a bit about WW2 planes :D

Edit: They dint have a chance if the jet was fully airborne for the massive speed difference would mean the jet pilot could dictate the rules of combat. If you caught a jet landing or taking off you could easily shoot one down as the jet engines back then had very poor acceleration so they couldn't get away.

Every watch the Simpsons when the jets tried to battle the Write Flyer. I asume a battle between Jets and piston planes would not be fun for any one. The jets are to fast and the piston planes are to slow.

There are many reports of piston engines taking down jet aircraft during take of or landing. Even a few in full flight! But the engines the ME-262 used were very unreliable, they lasted for just 30 hours before they had to be replaced but they were otherwise better than the British equivalents used in the Gloster Meteor

edit: Ahh, the G4M, a aircraft with so little armour its nickname was the flying lighter. But they did have cannons in the turrets which would make them dangerous to face.

"an almost total lack of protection for its crew, with no armor plating or self-sealing fuel tanks" Why would I use these?

They did have outstanding range and a heavy cannon armament. Perfect for a marine empire like Japans where they had lots of ocean between land bases.

If you want a tough medium bomber, you could have instead a Vickers Wellington. The Geodesic structure inside made it very tough and could withstand damage well. But it had a light armament compared to the G4M, just 2 machine guns in nose, 4 in tail and some had a few machine guns in the beams.

Every watch the Simpsons when the jets tried to battle the Write Flyer. I asume a battle between Jets and piston planes would not be fun for any one. The jets are to fast and the piston planes are to slow.

Actually, I have a blast taking on jets in my A6Ms, and in the rare case the jet outclasses me I just use my Ki-200

The real trick is to use the terrain to your advantage. If none is available, clouds

That's all it should be, just a discussion about classic model aircraft.

It's been a while since I've played any kind of combat sim, I used to love Warbirds III.

Warbirds? I'm playing PeaceVultures.

Actually, I have a blast taking on jets in my A6Ms, and in the rare case the jet outclasses me I just use my Ki-200

The real trick is to use the terrain to your advantage. If none is available, clouds

Sun can be good if you attack with it behind you.

Zeros are very manoeuvrable but a few shots and they would be shot down. Can't the jets just use their speed to fly away?

And a rocket powered interceptor? That would be fun to fly, as long as you could control the plane while at high speeds and the fuel doesn't run out or explode.