Dump your insanity here!

Rage097

Aye, the next generation of space travel belongs to the British. America cut too many corners and are pretty much out of the running now that NASA is focusing on probes for the next decade (plus the SLS, but they won't approve of using it until about 2020)

(Since this thread moves so fast, either slow down posting or respond via quotes)

Aye, the next generation of space travel belongs to the British. America cut too many corners and are pretty much out of the running now that NASA is focusing on probes for the next decade (plus the SLS, but they won't approve of using it until about 2020)

And I hope to be leading it...

But we would only do that if we both change our attitude, the UKSA only wants unmanned exploration, and if we have a Labour government rather than Conservative as they spend money on things than cut things like the Conservatives. We have strong ties with space and it created lots of jobs for us, we just seem to ignore it for some reason.

Which is actually an even better idea than spaceplanes. I just happen to think planes in space are cooler than trains in tubes. xD

Well, both trains in tubes and planes in space are a good idea. Especially for orbital colonies. Now, what would be just as good is a ring surrounding the entire planet, and a space elevator.

Screw conventional planets. Let's just build a planet around a star. Extremely efficient usage of massive reactors that aren't going to see much other use anyway.

Massive amount of resources needed for a Dyson sphere, you would need thousands of planets and it becomes useless when the star nears its red giant phase.

Edit: Why, do you not like planes or even spaceplanes?!?!?

Screw conventional planets. Let's just build a planet around a star. Extremely efficient usage of massive reactors that aren't going to see much other use anyway.

This. It's Dyson Sphere time.

My issue with spaceplanes is mostly one of questionable advantage over rockets. They don't seem to work nearly as well with larger payloads as rockets do, and economy of scale dictates that bigger is better until you start having problems with logistics and structural stability.

SpaceX seems to have the satellite market in the bag at the moment, at least until Antares completes testing. Boeing is not amused about there suddenly being two competitors in the unmanned to LEO market formerly dominated by the Deltas and Russian craft.

THAT would be awesome. But, where will the resources to build such a thing come from? Interstellar mining will need to be done in order to harvest enough materials to build a custom planet. A good way this could actually be done is to put a strong center of gravity in the asteroid belt. Asteroids will be pulled towards it, and will slowly form a a proto-planet. After an even longer time, it may become a full fledged planet. Of course, this will take probably a billion years.

Massive amount of resources needed for a Dyson sphere, you would need thousands of planets and it becomes useless when the star nears its red giant phase.

Edit: Why, do you not like planes or even spaceplanes?!?!?

I never said I didn't like 'em.

I just think 10 pages of planes is a tad much.

This. It's Dyson Sphere time.

My issue with spaceplanes is mostly one of questionable advantage over rockets. They don't seem to work nearly as well with larger payloads as rockets do, and economy of scale dictates that bigger is better until you start having problems with logistics and structural stability.

SpaceX seems to have the satellite market in the bag at the moment, at least until Antares completes testing. Boeing is not amused about there suddenly being two competitors in the unmanned to LEO market formerly dominated by the Deltas and Russian craft.

The main fact is that they are much cheaper to get things into Orbit with and have less debris. They could build interplanetary ships in orbit through docking! And what about Skylon?

Planes are the best! If you say otherwise, I will kill you with my many plane models, metal, K'nex or Airfix

But they're not really all that much cheaper, is what we're saying.

And interplanetary ships would be easier to build from a space station than from a space plane. That's what Roskosmos were planning to do for their Mars mission last I checked.

Once the upfront costs are done, then there would be minor repairs and fuel refuelling, no need to build a new rocket. And the space planes can put all the parts up for both the ship and station.

Edit: It was a shield world designed to protect species from the effect of the Halo rings.

And go back to writing, not drinking Trekkette!

And go back to writing, not drinking Trekkette!

But... alcohol! :(

I can't write until I get Chobit to give me an answer to a highly important question. Otherwise this scene will simply not work.

Small amounts of alcohol aren't harmful when enjoyed responsibly. In fact some forms such as red wine can lead to health benefits, as they are often enjoyed in a relaxing environment with a good meal and family/friends to have fun with. The reduction in stress is shown to more than offset any ill effects from the alcohol.