[0.20] Subassembly Loader - 0.20 Compatibility Patch

TheUndeadFish

I honestly surprised this wasn't included in the official update itself. This is so critical for those of us with complex rockets that are in need of copy-pasta.

>Aspie-regus staging I think you mean

Frostiken,

I presume (ok, its really just a guess) that the "root node" - eg: the command pod, needed a free connection on it due to the way v19 (and 18, 17, 16, etc) had to have a defined root node. when you saved the assembly I am presuming that this was needed in order to keep things working. It wasn't a "hand hold" it was instead a requirement of the part logic KSP used at the time.

Now, in v20.. this might not be needed.

Frostiken,

I presume (ok, its really just a guess) that the "root node" - eg: the command pod, needed a free connection on it due to the way v19 (and 18, 17, 16, etc) had to have a defined root node. when you saved the assembly I am presuming that this was needed in order to keep things working. It wasn't a "hand hold" it was instead a requirement of the part logic KSP used at the time.

Now, in v20.. this might not be needed.

As near as I can tell, it's still needed, as the base "drag components off of a ship and reconnect" behavior hasn't changed between 0.19.1 and 0.20. If you drag a set of components off of a ship in the VAB, only the originally connected item's nodes are active when you try to put it back on. I'm pretty sure subassembly loader was just faking this, so if you can't drag things off and use any of the connectors, I doubt that addon will be able to change anything.

Because it's glitchy and ****ty and serves no purpose. If you're trying to save, say, a probe, all it's checking for is if the 'core' component has any open nodes. It doesn't matter if the REST of the subassembly has open nodes.

http://i.imgur.com/EIjzQNG.png

Here's a satellite that will save, because the core is on the bottom. However, if I sandwich the core between the Oskar fuel tanks, it will no longer save because it has 'no free nodes', even though the bottommost fuel tank has an open node.

Basically, I don't need a program holding my hand and getting in the way. I'm not sure what the intent of it is, but it causes more problems then it solves. The Spaceport comments section is full of complaints about it. Let me save what I want to save.

As for me doing it myself, compiling this into a .dll is outside of my area of expertise. Also so that nobody else has to do it too.

EDIT: Also, I don't know if it's just me, but whenever it gives me this error message now, it also deletes the entire ship, presumably because the new subassembly loader icon is located in the general area you usually drop things to delete them.

How do you plan to attach the probe to a rocket if it has no free open node on the base piece?

Load up the Kerbal X and take off the radial connector. Note that the entire boosters come off with it. Note that you can't place the boosters back to attach aanywhere except by the original radial connector. The radial decoupler is the 'root' of that part list.

When subassembly loader places your probe on the design area of another ship, it's just as if it WAS attached and then you unattached it. You need to be able to glue the rootnode of that probe to some part of the rocket. (I guess maybe what you're complaining about is that subassembly loader doesn't rejiggle the parts list to make it so that you can choose which open nodes becomes the root one which will attach to the rest of the rocket?)

So....I used to use Payloader before 0.20 as I find it works better than Subassembly Loader, but, as Payloader is no longer developed, Subassembly Loader it is!

It works ok, however, I am having a large issue with it. When I save my launcher subassembly and then re-load it to attach to another ship, once it is attached, all the previously attached struts and fuel lines WITHIN the launcher assembly (i.e. not the ones that would run to the payload/ship) are still there, but are no longer connected to anything. I have to manually go back through and reattach every single one to whatever it is supposed to be attached to - VERY frustrating when there are a lot of struts or asparagus fuel tanks/engines!

Anybody kindly have any ideas why this is happening, or how to fix it?

Thanks for any help! :)

Thanks Commander Zoom....that's one thing I liked about Payloader, you never had that issue with it! Oh well, Subassembly Loader will do for now, I guess, or maybe I can learn enough Java to re-code it to work properly, or find somebody who can...should just be a matter of changing the directory Payloader looks for the part.cfg files in! Pity I don't know Java...

Edited by darkstrike

If you disable the node logic checks, warning, and save a subassembly craft file starting from a "nodeless" root component, loading will render the selected part set useless. e.g. It will remain red and unattachable.

What Frostiken is complaining about is less of a subassemly issue and more of a KSP node logic issue. The game simply does not support reordering of the node logic upon selecting, saving, or loading a part set. While it would be nice of the node logic was reordered based on where you click on a selected part set, I'm not sure if a plugin could do this. Alternatively, upon saving the part set there might be a way to rebase the root node to something with an attachable node. The new rules associated with choosing the new root node are a problem. I don't know enough about the node logic to implement this.

Otherwise, this "root node requires free node" is perfectly acceptable and intuitive. Just keep it in mind when building part sets intended as subassemblies.

I think I know why the fuel lines and struts fail to work. This glitch only seems to happen if you try to save a subassembly without any command modules attached to it )like a launcher, per se). If you save it with some form of module/probe on top, all fuel lines / struts are connected as intended! Don't know if that helps any of the current developers or not! Just tried it a few times here on my end. Not a big deal at all as you simply load the launcher, connect it up, remove the command module and reattach it.

That must be the reason PayLoader used to work fine, as you had to have a command module on top for the program to properly connect payloads and launchers together.

...GameData folder...

Hello. Is it normal to flatten the directory structure like you did? It works fine and KSP loads the DLL, but I didn't realize it would.

e.g. Previously, I had mine organized like so:

GameData/subassemblyLoader/Plugins/subassemblyLoader.dll
GameData/subassemblyLoader/Plugins/PluginData/icons
GameData/subassemblyLoader/Plugins/PluginData/subassemblies

That's the source file for the plugin, you can ignore it (knew i probably should have put it in a labeled folder).

@Awaras:

I am currently having a poke around to see what's not working properly. The problem doesn't seem to be as 'simple' as the loader.

Edit:

OK, I lied slightly, here's another version of sub-assembly loader that should hopefully make button placement independent of screen resolution.

hi, this one sort of works for me, but there's no visible button, just a ? when you first open the VAB that goes away when you create or open a craft. It's still possible to open the interface, but it would be nice if the icon was fixed.

also, it does not have my old subassemblies available anymore, although they are still in the KSP subassembly folder, did you change the directory location?

So....I used to use Payloader before 0.20 as I find it works better than Subassembly Loader, but, as Payloader is no longer developed, Subassembly Loader it is!

It works ok, however, I am having a large issue with it. When I save my launcher subassembly and then re-load it to attach to another ship, once it is attached, all the previously attached struts and fuel lines WITHIN the launcher assembly (i.e. not the ones that would run to the payload/ship) are still there, but are no longer connected to anything. I have to manually go back through and reattach every single one to whatever it is supposed to be attached to - VERY frustrating when there are a lot of struts or asparagus fuel tanks/engines!

Anybody kindly have any ideas why this is happening, or how to fix it?

Thanks for any help! :)

I think I know why this happens. The game records where you place the first end of the strut with relation to the attached part, but then it records where it attaches -to- as a vector with relation to the command module or center of the ship... therefore if you're attaching a subassembly to something that has sufficiently different geometry than the ship you took it off of, the endpoints of the struts and fuel lines will not connect, or will connect in the wrong places. I don't know if there's a good workaround for this, unfortunately, you may just have to deal with it.

Edited by sal_vager

did you change the directory location?

See my post right above yours. There are no Plugins/PluginData directories. The subassemblies and icons directories are right under GameData/subassemblyLoader/

I think I know why the fuel lines and struts fail to work. This glitch only seems to happen if you try to save a subassembly without any command modules attached to it )like a launcher, per se). If you save it with some form of module/probe on top, all fuel lines / struts are connected as intended!

you must have just got lucky...

I have (and had before 0.20) 4 launch vehicles saved, all of them have probe cores and NONE of them will come out of the subassembly loader with all the fuel lines on....ive tried so many things, don't think theres a way around it...its just not gonna save fuel lines

same here, I just presume that any Fuel lines need to be re-done when I pull out a lifter. but even with that issue, this is saving me SO MUCH work, that I can deal with it.

Is is possible to patch it to move to "?" over. Beacuse in the minimum resolution it's over the action groups icon and it's impossible to use unless you change the resolution.

Edited by joedude69
bad bad bad writhing

@ KhaosCorp and Fyrem:

That's the issue - once saved as subassemblies WITHOUT probe cores or command modules, you can't get them to load with lines/struts anymore. Try loading a ship/payload with the launcher attached, remove the "payload" section until you are down to JUST the launcher, then shove any command modules / probe core on top and THEN save it as a subassembly. When you re-load it NOW, the struts and lines SHOULD still be there....let me know! :)

Can someone figure out how to move the stupid sub-assembly button of of where the Action Groups menu button is? I have inadvertently click the sub-assembly button when trying to click the action group button more times than I would like to count.

Can someone figure out how to move the stupid sub-assembly button of of where the Action Groups menu button is? I have inadvertently click the sub-assembly button when trying to click the action group button more times than I would like to count.

What is wrong with the location where it is now?

06.01.2013-12.38.48.png

If you go back to post 27, there is a mediafire link you can download that puts the button in that location.

Tiz possible to make a config file for this, soon as I learn how to start reading and writing files.

Edited by Pontiac