Wherner Von Kerman On Grand Tours

The Jedi Master

OK, I plan to do a grand tour soon, so I wrote this. Be sure to read it in a bad German accent. :wink:

Report 01911235196821

On The Feasibility Of A Grand Tour Of The Kerbol System

By Wherner Von Kerman

The position of head of the Jedi Space Program gives me considerable responsibility. Therefore, I assure you this is no joke or science fiction dream. This is a serious assessment, and should be treated as such.

A popular trend among the space programs recently is the concept of the Grand Tour, In which every planet and every moon in the Kerbol system is visited in a single flight, always making use of docking, and sometimes (but not always) refueling. This is an enormous endeavor, costing several billion Kerbits and lasting many years, but if it can be pulled off, the program instantly gains amazing prestige. The scientific value is also immense.

Before this is attempted, however, I believe we should complete the following tasks:

• Return from one of Kerbins moons--This is an absolute must. Even if we use refueling, fuel management will be required.
  • Construction Of A Space Station--To learn docking.
  • Manned Landing On Duna--To learn interplanetary missions.
  • Manned Landing On Moho--To learn how to deal with inclined orbits.

While it is true that some members of the Manley Space Program recommend doing a manned Tylo return to learn how to deal with high gravity bodies, I believe this is best left to the actual tour.

The mothership would be made of three parts:

1. The main core
  2. The artificial gravity chamber
  3. The main thrusters

The main core would consist of a Mk1-2 command pod and a two man lander can. This is also the place where the landers would dock, so a multi-docking port would need to be added.

The artificial gravity chamber is where the crew would spend most of it's time. It would consist of two arms, containing Hitchhiker cans, constantly spinning to simulate Kerbin-like gravity. It would, of course, be locked down during major operations such as burns.

The main thrusters would consist of several jumbo orange tanks attached to nuclear engines. This stage would do all major burns.

As for the landers, there would be three, one for worlds with atmosphere, one for worlds without atmosphere, and one for Tylo and Eve, which are special cases. They all would use a two man lander can.

We are currently searching for a supplier of rotating parts for the artificial gravity chamber. B9 Aerospace has been considered.

The use of the MechJeb autopilot is a tossup. On one hand, it makes many operations easier. On the other hand, it is not infallible. We will have a debate on this topic later, as debates involving MechJeb tend to fall into squabbling and petty name calling.

In conclusion, many things will have to be done, sacrifices will have to be made and hardships will have to be endured, but if it can be done, the Jedi Space Program will never be the same...

--Wherner Von Kerman

Head scientist at the Jedi Space Program

May 24th, 200 AU (After Union)

I will say, it was an entertaining read. Some unfortunate flashbacks to writing lab reports when I was in high school, but that's not your fault. :)

I'll keep this as a reference as to tone for when I'm writing Officialese bits of the PfL fic.

I will say, it was an entertaining read. Some unfortunate flashbacks to writing lab reports when I was in high school, but that's not your fault. :)

I'll keep this as a reference as to tone for when I'm writing Officialese bits of the PfL fic.

Thanks! *feels good* :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.