Kerbal 3D Model?

RocketTurtle

Hey, I recently found out about the company, Shapeways. For those of you who don't know what it is, it is a website that you can upload 3D models to, get them printed in a 3D printer, and then sent to you. I know a while ago someone else did this, but I was wondering if anyone had a (preferably) textured 3D model of a Kerbal. I'm looking for a model of what they look like on EVA, with their white suits and EVA jetpacks, not what they look like in the cockpit, with their orange suits. One other thing is that there need to be 2 models. The Kerbal with his helmet, but without the visor, and one of just the visor alone, this is because the visor needs to be printed with a different material than the Kerbal, and the visor is going to have to be able to snap into the Kerbals helmet.

I know that this is a hard task, but I'm wondering if anyone out there has the time (and skill) to do this... because, well... you don't want to see my 3D modeling...

Well thanks, bye.

P.S. Shapeways link: http://www.shapeways.com/

P.P.S. I did fin these: http://www.shapeways.com/search?q=kerbal

But I was looking for them on EVA, I'm still getting one of those though, they're awesome.:)

I made a kerbal a while back... It was a hand sculpt though, and took ages :P

dsc0069pn.jpg

I considered a 3D print, but they're too expensive for me.

Wow! That's awesome! Totally worth whatever time it took to make! (Unless it was like, 5 years). Anyways, do you have a 3D model of it?

Thanks, bye! :)

Nope, I worked from pictures of the kerbals in EVA. I still need to find something for a proper helmet base, since it still has that top of a wine bottle there :P

Haha, wine bottle cap looks pretty good actually! Maybe if you painted it silver?

Anyways, anyone know where the Kerbal on EVA model is located in the game folders, and if it's possible to open it in Blender?

EDIT: What did you use to make the sculpture. It looks like frosted cake. :o

Edited by RocketTurtle

I don't think that the kerbal model is available anywhere in the game files, however if you go and check somewhere in the Fan Works subforum, someone made a close approximation of the kerbal model and I believe they put the download link somewhere. That was made with Apoxie sculpt, then painted white with acrylic paint. :)

I don't think that the kerbal model is available anywhere in the game files, however if you go and check somewhere in the Fan Works subforum, someone made a close approximation of the kerbal model and I believe they put the download link somewhere. That was made with Apoxie sculpt, then painted white with acrylic paint. :)

Yeah, I downloaded one but for some reason I can't import it into Blender, I tried changing it to a .blend file but no luck, when I click load, it just shows the default cube.

Unless you modeled it yourself a Kerbal 3d model is the intellectual property of the developers.

Yeah, I knew that... I honestly wasn't really thinking when I asked, I guess I could try asking them and tell them my purpose and see what they say.

Word of advice, model the kerbal yourself. Ripping models and distributing them in any form is a sure fire way to get DMCA notices. Tread very carefully if you plan on doing something like this!

On that note, if you do WELL with it, you may get hired as a content creator for the store. Who knows? Squad has given itself a rep for hiring modders for their good work, maybe they'll deviate to folks who have access to things like 3d printing for store content creation.

If i could afford the parts and real estate in my home, I could build a 3d printer farm for such an endeavor.

Edited by Reavermyst

Word of advice, model the kerbal yourself. Ripping models and distributing them in any form is a sure fire way to get DMCA notices. Tread very carefully if you plan on doing something like this!

On that note, if you do WELL with it, you may get hired as a content creator for the store. Who knows? Squad has given itself a rep for hiring modders for their good work, maybe they'll deviate to folks who have access to things like 3d printing for store content creation.

If i could afford the parts and real estate in my home, I could build a 3d printer farm for such an endeavor.

Hah! 3D modeling?!?! ME?!?!?!?!?! Not in loooooong time. I can barely model a CUP, and that's with a video tutorial right in front of me!

And yeah, if I was gonna use the game model, I would get permission first, I know what would have happened.

Also, I don't have a 3D printer: www.shapeways.com

If you didn't see my original post: http://www.shapeways.com/search?q=kerbal

Edit: Hm. Fine, I'll try...

Edited by RocketTurtle

• 1 month later...

I've been considering doing something like this. I did recently make a kerbal model, though it would need tweaked a bit to make it 3d print ready. Mainly though, I don't want to rip off squad. That wasn't the point of making the model. I would love to have an affordable 3d print though.

• 3 weeks later...

I just found this post after talking to a friend about that exact same idea. I don't have a ton a modeling experience but this is definitely worth a shot. I'll let you know if I actually get anywhere with it.

I actually have a 3D model, but it's direct from the game. I too am an extreme n00b with modeling, but I'm trying my darndest to figure out how to use the model as a starting point to modify it and produce some ideas I've had for cool images.

As it is right now, it's just a static mesh, which is nice to look at, but useless for anything else until I learn more about how to do a lot more. >_<

• 2 weeks later...
Would you mind posting your model?

If you're talking to me, the answer is yes I would mind, because

And

I actually have a 3D model, but it's direct from the game.

It is a direct rip from the game to use as a starting point, with the intent to modify it substantially for my own uses. As it exists right now, posting it would qualify as distribution of intellectual property. Squad doesn't make the model readily available to the general public, so I have to assume the intent is to keep it proprietary.

That said, if I ever get to the point where I can turn it into something truly of my own creation, I'll definitely look into the prospect of sharing it out. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.