Duna Permanent Outpost Mission Architecture Challenge

Fraps is fine, but it takes up a TON of space. I didnt see much lag, but it took FOREVER to convert the videos down to a reasonable size.

Also, come to find out AFTER i got really frustrated and deleted my save, that it was in fact the laptop's power saver settings that got stuck in power saver mode and throttled my CPU down, causing the immense lag. DOH! Alas, I dont feel like going through and rebuilding everything from scratch, but I may post a new series to youtube soon.

I use FRAPS for video capture. The files are big, but high quality. There's really no magic. It couldn't be easier to use.

Sony has a free video editor - Movie Studio 11. It's kinda complicated but there are lots of good video tutorials on the YouTubes. I went ahead and got the pay for version and so far, I'm wondering why.

Finally! It is here! My TEST vehicle is complete!

Ladys and gentlemen, the Duna Transfer Vehicle - 1!

9779680863_c30136b458_b.jpg

In theory, this magnificent piece of hardware caries 2050 units of supply - enough for 512 and a half days with 4 Kerbals onboard.

This Vehicle was assembled piece-by-piece in orbit using my wonderful MPB-MK1 (Multi-Purpose Launcher MK-1), seen here:

9779587085_0bdf43d8e2_b.jpg

This amazing rocket can send a 16 ton payload into orbit, and both side-straped boosters are fully re-usable after each launch, granting this rocket the 50%> Bonus.

Of corse, having caused so much trouble for me, here is the One Bastard that held me for so long: DAVE, the Duna Ascent VEhicle.

9779670953_b2c2cc271d_b.jpg

And this composes this simple presentation post. Mission will truly start when my Brain cools down after the R&D and life allows it to happen.

Fraps is fine, but it takes up a TON of space. I didnt see much lag, but it took FOREVER to convert the videos down to a reasonable size.
I use FRAPS for video capture. The files are big, but high quality. There's really no magic. It couldn't be easier to use.

Bandicam is much better than fraps in all possible ways. Mainly because it has much more option like recording directly at h264 while being still as light and efficient. I have been using it for more than an year now and i am still surprised of how large is the portion of the game community that still haven´t heard of it, they must really suck at advertising.

So much fun.. I'm doing it again!

My first attempt at this challenge used a lifter with a relatively large nomical payload of 54T. This time, I'm using a much smaller lifter with a nominal capacity of 24T. The lifter can recover the four SRB's and the Saturn 1-B first stage, earning the 50% reduction in lifter re-fit time, resulting in a 36 day turnaround between launches. Instead of launching several monolithic craft to Duna, the landing part of the mission is being launched and docked together in a space-train in LKO.

Boosted Saturn 1B 24T Payload Test

ELZQFUO.png

Once at Duna, the lander will be assembled and set down on the surface. Before the landing team arrives, a Duna space station will be sent to scout landing sites and perform orbital research. An unassembled Duna lander/base requires five launches and with a launch cycle of 6/7 launches between transfer windows, this gives enough launches to keep a sustained presence on Duna through either continued supplies to the existing base or additional bases.

Phase B with Heat Shield

RFBANUL.png

Much of what will be used in this second run at this challege is derived from the Beyond Apollo: AAP challenge. The lifter is a direct upgrade of the Saturn S1B by adding four strap on solid rocket boosters and one additional liquid fuel engine to the S1-B first stage. The second stage remains the same SIV-B style used during the AAP challenge.

Tri-Hub Duna Lander Ready for Launch

w3L66nY.png

The space station/return vehicle heading to Duna on the first transfer window is the "Phase B" space station proposed by McDonnell Douglas. A single pilot will head to Duna in the Phase B and enter into a nearly polar orbit. While awaiting the landing team, it will drop a robotic rover to Duna's surface, deploy a satellite in Duna orbit and use an Apollo Telescope Mount to perform detailed surveys of Duna's surface. Once the landing team has completed their mission, it will rendezvous with the station already in orbit. The crew will transfer from the lander to the Phase B station, which will then return to Kerbin where it will be met by an AAP style Big Gemini to bring the crew back to Kerbin's surface.

Launch Schedule First 514 Days

• Day 10: Phase B Station
  • 46: Propulsion Stage for Phase B
  • ---> Duna: Phase B
  • 82: Triple Hub Duna Lander Module
  • 118: 1/3 crew modules for Duna Lander and surface supplies
  • 154: 2/3 and 3/3 crew modules for Duna Lander
  • 190: Emergency Return Craft
  • 226: Propulsion Stage for Lander
  • 262: Supplies for Kerbin-Duna transit
  • ---> Duna: Tri-Hub Lander 1
  • 298: Phase B/Surface Supplies
  • 334: Triple Hub Duna Lander Module
  • 370: 1/3 crew modules for Duna Lander and surface supplies
  • 406: 2/3 and 3/3 crew modules for Duna Lander
  • 442: Propulsion Stage for Lander
  • 478: Supplies for Kerbin-Duna transit
  • 514: Saturn S-IVB Tanker to LKO (for refueling and restocking the Phase B craft)
  • ---> Duna: Tri-Hub Lander 2

Primary Mission Hardware Catalog

Javascript is disabled. View full album

JE7bZT5l.png

The lander arrived safely on Duna, although aerocapture was quite alarming as I went down a valley on the south pole and the nearby mountains appeared to be higher altitude than I was during the aerocapture!

Crew arrived on Day 347 and it is currently day 477 in the game. The six crew have accumulated 780 Kerbal-days on Duna so far. Since the lander has some docking port crossfeed problems which will make return to Kerbin orbit very difficult with the base/lander, plans to send a second, similarly flawed lander have been cancelled.

Instead, the five launches which would have focussed on sending a new lander will be used to expand the mission parameters to include a dedicated Ike landing mission, a second emergency return vehicle, and up to four more surface team members. At the conclusion of their stay on Duna, either one of the emergency return vehicles or the capsule from the Ike mission will remain docked to the Phase B Kerbin-return ship already in Duna orbit and will double as the crew quarters for the additional team members for the trip home.

Duna Base aerocapture, orbital assembly and landing

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Death Engineering

Destination Duna complete!

posted.

Summary:

Schedule.jpg

Until Day 0500: 7 Launches, 175 tons NIMLKO, Early Mission Value = 0, Efficiency = 0.00

Until Day 1000: 15 Launches, 375 tons NIMLKO, Sustained Mission Value = 664, Efficiency = 1.77

Mission Execution 3, Crew Mobility 2, Base Mobility 0, Crew Safety 1, Mission Robustness 1(?), Achievements Score = 7

Mods: MechJeb, KAS, Improved Maneuver Nodes, Kerbal Alarm Clock, Sub-assembly Manager

Details in my Mission Report.

Thank you, Sturmstiger for posting such an awesome challenge.

I know I did poorly, but I had a blast flying the missions and making the videos.

Like DeathEngineering, I may do this challenge again. But next time, I'll actually plan the mission before I begin execution. Those launch windows come and go before you realize it.

Edited by ThreeMartiniLaunch

• 3 weeks later...

My latest acquisition, the Sylph Fodder. This supply craft is intended to hitch a ride to Duna, using the forward docking port, so it lands with plenty of fuel to be redeployed. It is possible to fly the ship direct to duna using an optimum transfer and direct to Duna launch profile, this however leaves no fuel for ground operations and is not intended for standard deployment (saved some time for testing though)

In hanger

vc3y.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

On Duna

fn84.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

More picture available in my mission report thread

Yeah I've had a look at a couple of your other mission reports - looking good takes a lot of time to get that stuff down. I'm getting a little bit frustrated with the design of a few of my later craft in my architecture mission and so progress has ground to a halt around day 630 of execution. I'm trying to go with frontier outposts serviced by small fast rovers but I'm finding their design although awesome looking is not nearly as capable as the land train. I might go with a replacement bus service so to speak (replace the frontier outposts with land trains) so I can get this mission tucked away and upgrade to .22. Not sure if it will affect my score.

Not sure where sturmstiger is to be honest, I remember him saying a few times RL is calling so maybe like me he hasn't had time to check in in a while.

As long as he's OK. I've had times when I've pretty much done nothing on KSP.... though not lately :) Been thoroughly addicted for a while now. Doubt I'll be doing anything on this (did plan on a special entry for this, but it's been on hold for a long time) as I'm pretty busy on the Colonisation AAR mission I'm running/writing. Right now it's just early in the tech tree and just reached the Mun. I plan on taking it up to advanced tech and colonizing the moons of Jool. We'll see how that goes.

Hi everyone!!

I was considering to try this challenge, but during planning i had a doubt regarding the rules. I've noticed that OP had been away for a while, so i'm asking this to you people.

If I have a refueling station already in Kerbin orbit, am I allowed to dock my craft there and refuel before setting off to Duna?

borisperrons

If I have a refueling station already in Kerbin orbit, am I allowed to dock my craft there and refuel before setting off to Duna?

I'll give that a shot.

Short answer; No.

Long answer; Yes, you can use it If;

All craft dock themselves or are docked by ferries that are lifted within your plans restrictions.

All received refills of fuel/mono propellant etc used in the plan are lifted in the plan, ie not already on the station.

The station does not preform meaningful propulsive maneuvers while mission assets are docked.

Station is not pushed to Duna or otherwise used for hab space beyond LKO.

Mission concepts

DUMAS Program is designed to bring a fully mobile base on Duna surface, with room for 8 Kerbals, equipped with four 2-seats open cockpit rovers, for short to medium range exploration. Shuttling between surface and LDO will be assured by two wheeled reusable landers, that are to be docked at an orbiting refueling tanker.

Mission hardware will be transferred by two identical nuclear transfer stages, while the crews are to be shuttled by two nuclear engined crew vehicles, to ensure the continue crewing of the surface base. These four crafts would be refueled in LKO by a dedicated refueling station.

Supplies are sent in stacked supply packages, each one capable of autonomous atmospheric re-entry at Duna.

The extended mission will feature an Ike exploration package and a 3-seats long range Duna rover, to allow for multiple days excursions. A plan to send an atmospheric vehicle is still being considered, due to the difficulties of building a Duna capable flying craft.

Mission hardware

Ouranos IH-R lifter

30 tons to LKO lifter.

Composed of three crossfeeding Ouranos Common Cores and and an Aither upper stage. Two of the OCC are reusable, making more of 50% of the vehicle reusable.

Nuclear Universal Transfer Stage

Delivering capability to LDO of 30 tons. Powered by 2 NERVAs, and equipped with an heat shield for aerobraking.

Interplanetary Crew Transfer Vehicle

Interplanetary shuttle with room for 4 kerbals in a long duration mission, with contingency supplies. Primary propelled by a single NERVA, secondary propulsion assured by two chemical rockets, also equipped with an heat shield for aerobraking. Every ICTV mission will also bring fuel for the reusable landers, eliminating the need for a dedicated refueling system.

Duna Crawler Base

Twelve wheeled mobile base, with room for 8 kerbals.

Habitable dUna tankeR-Refueler (HURR)

Duna orbiting refueling station. It will also be used as docking station for the ICTVs, the landers, the Emergency Return Vehicle and the Ike Exploration Package, and as auxiliary comms relay between surface and Kerbin.

DUna landeR-Rover (DURR)

Reusable landers for Duna surface transfer. They are wheeled to keep up with the mobile base. After returning to orbit, they are refueled at HURR, and readied for another crew transfer cycle.

Emergency Return Vehicle

The ERV is the multi-purpose contingency system for the DUMAS Program. In case of ICTV failure, it can bring back the crew to Kerbin, although in a bit cramped way. In case of DURR failure, it will land and rescue the stranded crew.

Self Propelled Satellite System

3 or 4 satellites to be put in Duna geostationary orbit to ensure continue comms with the surface base.

Duna Surface Resupply Packages

4 supply packages stacked together, each one capable of autonomous re-entry and landing at Duna

Kerbin Refueling Station

Automatic refueling station for ICTVs and NUTSs.

Extended mission hardware

Ike Exploration Package

Two kerbals Ike lander, plus the transfer vehicle and a possible surface exploration vehicle.

Duna Long Range Exploration Rover

Six wheeled, 3 kerbals rover with pressurized cockpit, to allow long range multiple days exploration raids.

Duna Atmospheric Exploration Vehicle

Proposed winged craft for polar explorations and air reconnaissance.

(Note: apart from Ouranos IH-R and NUTS, all the craft are still in different design stages)

Launches timetable

Initial timetable for launches and Duna transfers.

10- NUTS #1

39- [transfer window D->K]

55- SPSS

55- [transfer window K->D] SPSS

100- Duna Crawler Base 1

145- Duna Crawler Base 2

190- Interplanetary Crew Transfer Vehicle #1

235- NUTS #2 + Emergency Return Vehicle

267- [transfer window D->K]

280- HURR + DURR

283- [transfer window K->D] NUTS #1 + DCB / NUTS #2 + HURR + DURR / ICTV #1 + ERS

325- Kerbin Refueling Station 1

370- Interplanetary Crew Transfer Vehicle #2

415- Duna Surface Resupply Packages

460- Ike Exploration Package

495- [transfer window D->K] NUTS #1 / NUTS #2

505- Duna Long Range Exploration Rover + Duna Atmospheric Exploration Vehicle

511- [transfer window K->D] ICTV #2 / IEP

550- Kerbin Refueling Station 2

723- [transfer window D->K] ICTV #1

739- [transfer window K->D] NUTS #2 + DLRER + DAEV / NUTS #1 + DSRP

775- Kerbin Refueling Station 3

951- [transfer window D->K] NUTS #2

967- [transfer window K->D] ICTV #1

(Note 1: after day 500, a Duna refueling mission is ready to launch at every transfer window if needs for it should arise)

(Note 2: Kerbin-to-LKO, LDO-to-Duna, LDO-to-Ike transfers not shown)

(Note 3: this may be subject to changes.)

Soon to arrive, the complete designs.

Edited by borisperrons

Everyone here ever played some SC2? If you ever play it, you know that Terran have a big advantage because their base can fly to move itself

So here is my mods to be used: FAR, Mechjeb, Lazor systems, Kerbal Alarm Clock. TAC life support, Deadly Reentry Continued, Modular Fuel Systems Continued, Kethane and KAS

Every base will be designed around this vehicle: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/46474-Delivery-drivers-wanted, but its NERVA will be changed into normal rockets, which is fine because this vehicle design won't play nice with MFSC, jet doesn't use H2 but NERVA do

The base assembly (which is not more than connecting the Oxen into habitat) will be in Kerbin orbit, so the plan is to fly 4 Oxen at once (if possible, haven't done any feasibility test) with empty tanks, then fly the main habitat,kethane miner, power generation module,life support container and refuel tank, then bring that into Duna using interplanetary tug (plasma engine and nuclear reactor if KSPI allowed, NERVA if KSPI isn't allowed)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.