External Command Seats & Rovers

Pixel of Life

I noticed a problem with the command seat and thought I'd let the community know as well:

You can not drive a rover with the EAS-1 alone! The steering works with the seat, but you MUST have a command module or a probe core on it if you want to be able to move the rover.

I found this out the hard way - by flying a rover to Mun and noticing I could only turn the wheels but not move the rover. Tried the same rover with an EAS-1 AND a probe core and it worked.

You don't need a command module or probe core for rovers if you've got the seat. The seat just doesn't provide torque.

These one man rovers only have a small battery, 2 solar panels, some wheels and cubic struts with the seat and work flawlessly.

iB2KG8B.png

Are you sure it wasn't just because you had no batteries? You need someplace to get put the power, and someplace for the motors to get it from. (haven't made a rover myself yet – you might be right)

No, it doesn't seem to be caused by the lack of batteries. Have a look at these: (Ignore the incorrectly mounted seat)

The 2 rovers are identical except for the command modules.

This works:

2HLLuLZ.jpg

This does not:

1pVweTT.jpg

The probe core can hold a small amount of electric charge which is why the first one works and the second one doesn't. The second one will work if you add a battery.

Hm. Well, that's kind of stupid. I've always made my rovers without batteries. I guess I'll have to start using them now, then.

There should, however, be a notification about this in the description of the seat. I'm quite sure I'm not the only one used to running rovers without batteries.

Your seat faces to the sky. You ever see a car having upward-faced seats?

Thank you, Captain Obvious. Allow me to quote myself:

Ignore the incorrectly mounted seat

I know it should not be like that, but it was just a quick test. I just couldn't be bothered to fix it. Besides, command modules work upside down or sideways, so why would this not?

e: Anyways, problem solved. Note to self: Always put batteries on rovers!

most wheels use more power than the RTG provides, adding at least a little batt to smooth things out is a good idea. That's why I haven't run into this yet. Well that and I like having an unmanned option so probe is usually on there anyway

Hm. Well, that's kind of stupid. I've always made my rovers without batteries. I guess I'll have to start using them now, then.

There should, however, be a notification about this in the description of the seat. I'm quite sure I'm not the only one used to running rovers without batteries.

It's not stupid -- real rovers have a lot of batteries.

You don't need a command module or probe core for rovers if you've got the seat. The seat just doesn't provide torque.

These one man rovers only have a small battery, 2 solar panels, some wheels and cubic struts with the seat and work flawlessly.

Such wonderful tiny vehicles!

Can you, please, share .craft file with us? Or post clear pics of them?

Edited by KasperVld

I've never uploaded a craft before, I'm flattered you like it though :3

Just a warning, its not stock: the personal rover uses the battery from the KSPX pack and the ISA gps unit (so the kerbals know where they are going), but I could make a stock one if desired.

I couldn't find a place to attach them here so I just uploaded them here:

http://maackey.us/ksp/craft/Perver.craft (from my subassembly folder)

http://maackey.us/ksp/craft/Perver-test.craft (the actual craft I used to make/test it)

If it does flip over, its light enough for the kerbals to right it themselves. If you've remapped the rover keys to IJKL I also suggest re-mapping the kerbal headlight to U or something else to prevent the game from toggling their headlights every time you turn right. Otherwise it works wonderfully with WASD because there is no command pod torque :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.