Empty Seats Needed

- In short: I need empty seats on my ship so I can recover an isolated Kerbal

- In Long: DOODMAN NEEDS HELP! Doodman landed Wade mk2 on Eeloo,no problems, other then nearly the entire planet is an ice ball. Yes I know I should have seen it coming and I should have sent a probe first... yeah I sent Doodman out there more or less blind... But the mk2 had improved power, traction, and control. He covered over 50km before the tires gave out, the Wade mk2 can run on 3 wheels and still drive, but not 1... 1 is two less wheels then three and two to few. Using the thrusters on the back of Wade is much to risky. I can build a craft to retrieve him but I have a problem, all of the crew modules come fully loaded with Kerbals... How do I empty them out, without throwing Kerbals out the airlock on the launch pad.

Please Help Doodman... he's taking isolation well... and he's even set up our new flag. Still smiling... for science...

Save_Dude.jpg

Simplest possible solution:

EVA extra crew out before launch. It's crude, but works in a pinch.

Cleanest existing solution:

Install the freshly updated Kerbal Crew Manifest mod -- http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/18-1-kerbal-crew-manifest/ which lets you do that without the risk of the crewmember falling to his death from a rocket, and more besides.

How do I make repairs in EVA? I've never seen this option, do I walk up to the wheel and right click it? (crew manifest will also be useful for building stations, and swapping out crews)

How do I make repairs in EVA? I've never seen this option, do I walk up to the wheel and right click it? (crew manifest will also be useful for building stations, and swapping out crews)

Yes, you get a Kerbal near a wheel and then right click on it and there will be an option to fix the wheel.

Most excellent! I have no idea why I never tried that... You win this round Ockham's Razor!

Edit: Oh yes and thank you everyone for your assistance, sorry forgot to say that, I can get... excited...

Edited by Chrono

As one more data point, only the first command module (the one you start with) has crew in it; any others will be empty. So if you attach a second module to your rocket (or start with something unmanned like the stayputnik) then you will have room for rescued Kerbals. You can also add the hitchhiker module which has room for 4.

As one more data point, only the first command module (the one you start with) has crew in it; any others will be empty. So if you attach a second module to your rocket (or start with something unmanned like the stayputnik) then you will have room for rescued Kerbals. You can also add the hitchhiker module which has room for 4.

I think this changed. I have a craft that was started with probe body, if i slap a manned crew module on top then jeb is in it when i start!

Yup. As of .20, the first module that can hold crew - will. But you can still have extra pods that will start out empty. Or if you already have a rocket you like, just strap an external chair on it. Though, re-entry with these is a bit tricky. I've lost one kerbal to a parachute opening.

Yes the hitch hiker module will start empty, it will also start with 0/0 and be "full." I learned that when I tried to get Doodman into the "habitation" module under him. Poor guy had to sit in the command module.

The mission is back on track by the way, thanks to everyone's help.

Eeloo_Roven.jpg

first, if you right click on the wheels you can repair them and keep driving with your wonderfully designed vehicle. Second, if you add another pod after the original one(or a hitch-hiker storage unit they will be empty of all kerbals

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.