R for switching your Jetpacks on/off

WASD for moving Forward/Left/Backwards/Right

Left Shift for moving Up, Left Ctrl for moving down

L for switching on your helmet lights and Space for aligining your Kerbal into the direction in whcih you are looking.

And to help you keep track of your movement vectors, you should always try to use single presses on WASD/Shift/Ctrl (instead of keeping a key pressed) so that you can keep track of,

how fast you move into any of the 3 dimensions (and know which keys you have to press how often, in order to cancel movement in a certain direction)

Another important tip: go slowly. EVA is not a race. Your astronaut isn't running out of air. The easiest way to get into big trouble is to be impatient.

small taps on the controls. let momentum move you.

tap...float float float

tap...float float float

don't be in a hurry. if you start drifting away DONT PANIC and start mashing buttons.

remember keep calm and...

tap...float float float

tap...float float float

I'd recommend just quicksaving, and going on EVA. Practice just making a quick "inspection" of your vessel, and then try to get back into your command pod. Then escalate to floating far away, and trying to come back. If you want, you can get two vessels within a couple hundred meters of eachother, and instead of docking them, practice running an EVA'd kerbal back and forth.

They have a TON of RCS, so you usually have alot of room for error.

Worst case? Quickload and try again:)

Space for aligining your Kerbal into the direction in whcih you are looking.

Ah... I think this is the key I was missing, because the Kerbal rolling was really what was causing me problems. Thanks all!

You know what! I think that should be implemented! Optional umbilical cord for orbiting spacecraft, for the space walks/ flying offs !

Or a Canadarm that can grab the Kerbal and move him.

On Topic: It takes a lot of practice to get EVAs right. Just start slowly and use the momentum of the jetpack rather than burning continuously. Also, hand positioning can help: I use my left hand on the mouse, Shift and Control keys and my right hand on WASD. It might feel a little cramped at first but it puts the keys in really easy reach so that, no matter how "slow" you actually are, you can make those twitch movements like a pro :wink:

This doesn't work consistently... Sometimes I hit space, and he does nothing but keep his feet or head pointed at me. The same goes for the other keys, 'R' activates the rockets - but also sends him spinning because it fires the rockets. WASD sometimes moves him, and sometimes spins and moves him. What gives?

This doesn't work consistently... Sometimes I hit space, and he does nothing but keep his feet or head pointed at me. The same goes for the other keys, 'R' activates the rockets - but also sends him spinning because it fires the rockets. WASD sometimes moves him, and sometimes spins and moves him. What gives? (And why in (words that will get me moderated) do I have to EVA to move between two docked ships with ports that theoretically allow this.)

This doesn't work consistently... Sometimes I hit space, and he does nothing but keep his feet or head pointed at me. The same goes for the other keys, 'R' activates the rockets - but also sends him spinning because it fires the rockets. WASD sometimes moves him, and sometimes spins and moves him. What gives?

With regards to Space not always working as one would expect ... yep, happens ... unfortunately I don´t have any good solution for this, aside from adapting to it (and doing some mental calculations in order to estimate the right thrust settings that enable you with this facing to get where you want)

The spin upon WASD is an Adjustment of your facing ... just as if you would press space (I for my part therefore press space beforehand in order to not be surprised by any spins when I use WASD)

(And why in (words that will get me moderated) do I have to EVA to move between two docked ships with ports that theoretically allow this.)

I assume they didn´t have the time to reprogram their system so that you can, without EVA, assign your Kerbals to the command/living modules within your (coupleeed) ship.

Probably because they are too busy with programming other new features into the game (like reentry heat or resources)

Probably the easiest way I've found to use the minimal fuel and easiest to recover from is to literally drift though space. Make an approximate as to the distance and the speed of which the target door is moving. Then just push forward and wait. Need to turn around? Do it slowly and again, just wait

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.