[Stock] Blockade Runner/ Corellian Corvette!

"You are part of the Rebel Alliance and a traitor! Take her away!"

385B86CF4507E053321DCF9A6FC8DF7A0DC3FE15

This took two launches and made use of the new Senior Clamp-o-tron in order to put them together sans wobble. The entire vessel weighs just shy of 500 tons, fully fueled and has about 600 parts. I was trying to go easy on the part count in anticipation of landing craft/ escape pods that I'll inevitably end up docking onto it.

The underside has even more docking ports. There are a total of 9 medium, 8 small and 2 large docking locations on the craft. It should make for a very fun and flexible interplanetary mothership.

1514B47D7A04EDD5B50D453D51BCA7B96EE7BDD5

The thruster block on the rear was by far the most difficult to get into orbit. It weighs 400t by itself fully fueled and since this ship isn't meant to ever enter a planet's atmosphere each of its 11 engine clusters sports 5 LV-N Atomic Motors each. I'm relatively new to KSP so with luck that'll be enough to get to Eeloo and back. :D

30FF5CCEFC16905EED0E759E98FC5AE4E9165CC9

I'm happy to upload the .craft files if anyone's interested. You'll have to pilot the two into orbit and dock them yourself, though! Enjoy.

Edit: Here they are! Promise not to laugh; only been at this for a month. :D

https://www.dropbox.com/s/umr8a3ka6ucur0k/Corellian%20Corvette%20Thruster%20M43.craft

https://www.dropbox.com/s/20cohhu8xu6bfvm/Corellian%20Corvette%20Upper%20Latest.craft

Edit: Here's the fully stock upper stage without the engineer module:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b485qio2csjv52m/Corellian%20Corvette%20Upper%20Stock.craft

Edit: aaaaaaaand here's the fully stock thruster block. I'm forgetful sometimes. Just like Jebediah. :blush:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8cki0ocx731eufn/Corellian%20Corvette%20Thruster%20Stoc.craft

Edited by Daisy Blossom
added fully stock thruster stage link too

Thats a nice looking replica, definitely one of the better ones I've seen.

"You are part of the Rebel Alliance and a traitor! Take her away!"

The thruster block on the rear was by far the most difficult to get into orbit. It weighs 400t by itself fully fueled and since this ship isn't meant to ever enter a planet's atmosphere each of its 11 engine clusters sports 5 LV-N Atomic Motors each. I'm relatively new to KSP so with luck that'll be enough to get to Eeloo and back. :D

Just a tip, while a lot of engines is good for the aesthetics, if you activate them all, you're just gonna chew up all your fuel. Getting to the outer planets isn't a matter of having enough engines, its having enough fuel for your engines. The amount of fuel you have on there might be enough to get you to Eeloo and back, but i'd say it would be more likely to get you there if you only used, say, one engine cluster.

Hope this helps :)

I think that if you cut down on the number of engines (maybe even go with 11 to match the actual ship, although even that is a lot) that you will find the ship will be lighter, have more range, and be a bit easier on the part count. Still a great-looking ship!

Yup, it looks gorgeous, but less engines would make the rear less cluttered (and more faithful). Less T/W will also get you more delta-v. +1 to the KSPX 2.5 Nerva suggestion.

Rune. Or even less engine weight. T/W is for launchers and landers.

How did you get that into Orbit *__________*

It took some serious time to get the 400t thruster block up there. Especially since I'm a bit of a purist and don't use mechjeb. I had to pull out my orbital science textbook and resort to scary math. :blush:

I'll toss the file link in the OP in a few minutes here...

Yup, it looks gorgeous, but less engines would make the rear less cluttered (and more faithful). Less T/W will also get you more delta-v. +1 to the KSPX 2.5 Nerva suggestion.

Rune. Or even less engine weight. T/W is for launchers and landers.

Yea, I'm aware of zee mathz but felt as though a C90 that had to burn for more than a minute to get anywhere wasn't a faithful C90 :D

I do like the 2.5M NERVA suggestion. Was trying to stay stock, though, although now that I've uploaded I realize there's an Engineer/ part slapped on the upper stage. Woops. I'll re-upload without that part so people without the mod can use. Hopefully the devs add both in the future.

If anyone's interested, by my rough calculations the total available DV when fully fueled is ~9.7 km/s and the TWR goes from 0.67 full to 2.32 empty. I still need to bring a tanker into orbit and gas her all the way up to pull numbers off engineer. The beautiful part is the crazy number of docking ports make drop tanks a very viable option for long hauls!

*snip*

*snip*

Somehow I think 55 NERVA's will get you wherever you want to go quite quickly indeed.

i cant load the lower thruster section because it needs the Engineer 7500 part? :S could you remove and repost like you have the upper stage? cos i really wanna try this out :) thanks

Whooooops. Yep, I had an engineer mod on the big RCS fuel tank that was to be jettisoned just before docking (and after using it to refill all of the smaller RCS tanks, of course). This is what happens when you're a whore for NUMBERS AND MATHS AND THINGS. :blush:

I'll put it up in a few minutes!

Whooooops. Yep, I had an engineer mod on the big RCS fuel tank that was to be jettisoned just before docking (and after using it to refill all of the smaller RCS tanks, of course). This is what happens when you're a whore for NUMBERS AND MATHS AND THINGS. :blush:

I'll put it up in a few minutes!

thanks man i'll be sure to give it a go :) good work btw :D

Thats a nice looking replica, definitely one of the better ones I've seen.

Just a tip, while a lot of engines is good for the aesthetics, if you activate them all, you're just gonna chew up all your fuel. Getting to the outer planets isn't a matter of having enough engines, its having enough fuel for your engines. The amount of fuel you have on there might be enough to get you to Eeloo and back, but i'd say it would be more likely to get you there if you only used, say, one engine cluster.

Hope this helps :)

Came to say this. You will find that you get no extra range from more engines, the opposite in fact. A single NERVA on a craft in orbit is the most efficient use of the crafts fuel (except ion but lets not go there) but may not have enough thrust for doing the required burns in the time available.

Great looking ship though.

Came to say this. You will find that you get no extra range from more engines, the opposite in fact. A single NERVA on a craft in orbit is the most efficient use of the crafts fuel (except ion but lets not go there) but may not have enough thrust for doing the required burns in the time available.

Great looking ship though.

Thanks for the lesson. As stated earlier in the thread, though, I'm well aware of the math. Not to be a complete tw@t but I happen to have a degree in aerospace engineering with a minor in astrophysics. This was very clearly an homage to Mr. Lucas and not an exercise in optimal spacecraft design.

I do enjoy the prospect of a more aesthetically appealing 2.5m NERVA (not to mention the reduced part count). My desire to remain stock save the engineer mod stayed my hand, though. Perhaps I'll change my mind; KSPx does look rather well done!

having some trouble getting the upper stage into orbit, any pointers?

What troubles, exactly, are you having? I will admit I'm no KSP master so the launch vehicles could have been better designed and are not the easiest to fly. I disable gimbles on the outer asparagus stages to prevent rotation and do a lot of manual spin and attitude correction. I throttle down to around 75% after the second set of boosters is dropped because the structural integrity is also lower with the loss of those stages and their support structure. Remember to start that gravity turn around 10km!

You should have extra fuel. Mine ended up in about 200km orbit after circularizing. (Which will be reduced so I can dock with my fuel depot and ride the Oberth Effect to the outer planets). :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.