[0.20] Deadly Reentry 2.3 - reentry heat, plus thermal and g-force damage to parts

ialdabaoth

I was wondering if someone could tell me where I'm going wrong on this install... I opened up the .zip file and copied all of the contents to the "Kerbal Space Program\GameData\" folder. Inside the .zip folder was a folder labeled _MACOSX, a folder labeled DeadlyReentry, and a ModuleManager.dll. All three of these were copied over. When starting the game it hangs up on the following file _MACOSX/DeadlyReentry/Parts/deadlyReentry_6.25Heatshield/.model

I have re-downloaded it from the download link on the first thread in case it was corrupt during the download process and I still have the same issue. Any help would be appreciated. Also, I want to verify that there were no other downloads required and that ModuleManager is incorporated in the DeadlyReentry mod?

Edited by Malsheck

I was wondering if someone could tell me where I'm going wrong on this install... I opened up the .zip file and copied all of the contents to the "Kerbal Space Program\GameData\" folder. Inside the .zip folder was a folder labeled _MACOSX, a folder labeled DeadlyReentry, and a ModuleManager.dll. All three of these were copied over. When starting the game it hangs up on the following file _MACOSX/DeadlyReentry/Parts/deadlyReentry_6.25Heatshield/.model

I have re-downloaded it from the download link on the first thread in case it was corrupt during the download process and I still have the same issue. Any help would be appreciated. Also, I want to verify that there were no other downloads required and that ModuleManager is incorporated in the DeadlyReentry mod?

Do you own a mac? If you don't, try leaving the MACOSX file out of the mix. That's just my guess.

Do you own a mac? If you don't, try leaving the MACOSX file out of the mix. That's just my guess.

Nope, I'm running Windows... I guess it's assumed that I would know to delete this file. Guess I know now. Many thanks.

What's the beef with requiring mod manager? Mod manager lets you tweak stock (or any mod's!) configs without touching the original config files. If your problem is you want to stick to the legacy directory structure, then I'll say this for ialdabaoth: KMACYOYO :P Why? because mod manager is actually a temporary fix until the stock database code is working properly and is done in such a way that when the stock database code is working properly, all you do is not install mod manager, everything else stays the same (in theory, anyway: ialdabaoth and Mu worked together to get mod manager right).

If you're sticking to the legacy directory structure because of addon management tools, then you'll need to fix your tools. I've heard that the legacy system will go away. I wouldn't be surprised if it's gone by 0.21. With the rate every modder and his dog is updating their mods for the new system, that would not be unreasonable.

On a more friendly note: I have done up some MM configs for H.O.M.E. and the Spherical tank collection, including the new kethane tanks (I have not yet done up a config for kethane itself, though).

H.O.M.E.

Spherical tanks (base)

Spherical tanks (kethane)

In general, just halving the max temps (and heat output for the HOME engines), but I've also set up the HOME heatshield to be ablative (it still doesn't jettison properly).

Edited by taniwha

has nothing to do with the legacy directory, in fact im not using it at all. all the mods I have installed right now are using the new method. I just don't like mod manager, I wont have it installed....

was just a suggestion to make this mod more accessible if possible

When i use a Inflatable Heatshield on any size, or configuration of reentry module, it flips upside down, the inflatable shield just causes way too much drag, with RT on Kill Rot on, i still flips over.

Even with some crazy Canards added too keep it stable, as soon i hit the 34k height mark, where the shield needs too do its work, my whole craft flips over.

With the 2.5 HS, when i decouple the "fairing" between the HS and the Engine dissapears.

The default heatshield of the 1.25m pod works great in combination of the mod, just the shieldparts seem too be acting weird..

Those are the 2 issues i encountered thusfar..

Not to rule out that it has bad values, since such things do happen, but the inflatable shield probably causes exactly the drag it should, which has to be accounted for in the overall craft design.

less terrible than mod manager breakin all my stuff imo...

strange i have alot of the same mods as you and only know of one incompatability with mm and thats the exsurgentengineering dll that comes bundled with b9 to run the sabre's

Well, you can do it yourself if you so need it. In DeadlyReentry.cfg is described what changes need to make and what to add in what part, module manager is just do it instead of you.

Edited by zzz

Did some testing:

Reentry is mostly uneventful even without heat shield, probably because i don't use FAR.

If FAR is required for this mod to work as advertized, should that requirement not be listen in the OP?

Otherwise the test results might be rather useless.

Edited by rkman

I've been seeing too little burn-up of unshielded spent stages and the like as well.

Things surviving a gentle de-orbit from LKO (Pe around 30 km, Ap 75 km) is expected, but I'm seeing most things survive more active de-orbits (Pe under 1 km) almost every time. I think most of the problem is that I have lots of small bits and a 2m probe core on the leading edge, and they cool too quickly when not in direct "plasma" exposure; slight tumbling in uncontrolled stages switches the heating between the radial RCS fuel tanks and the 2m probe core, and they cool far too easily during that period when they're not the main thing being heated. This might also just be the large probe core needing lower tolerances.

less terrible than mod manager breakin all my stuff imo...

You still have yet to describe how your stuff is broken, which stuff is broken, or in fact do anything but bitch. I am offering to help you, but I need information, not complaints.

Testing new version!

Upcoming features:

- different config profile for FAR and non-FAR

- spaceplane reentry tiles are no longer ablative; capsule reentry tiles are still ablative (except the inflatable ones).

- B9 pack support.

- Inspect and repair damage on EVA.

Testing new version!

Upcoming features:

- spaceplane reentry tiles are no longer ablative; capsule reentry tiles are still ablative (except the inflatable ones).

- B9 pack support.

Does that mean its released for testing yet, or you are testing it? (It still says release candidate 4.)

Great mod by the way!

You still have yet to describe how your stuff is broken, which stuff is broken, or in fact do anything but bitch. I am offering to help you, but I need information, not complaints.

I did give details at some point...honestly don't recall what thread....I was told not to use other mods....not really help in my book so I was just gonna forget about it

don't worry about it anymore, I'm not, but I do thank you for trying to help again

Testing new version!

Upcoming features:

- B9 pack support.

Just out of curiosity, why have you removed the ablative tiles from the spaceplanes?

Just out of curiosity, why have you removed the ablative tiles from the spaceplanes?

Because spaceplanes such as the space shuttle don't use ablative tiles. Spaceplanes in the next version *will* use heat tiles, they just won't be ablative (i.e., they won't get "used up" as you go through the atmosphere).

The Mk1 pod will still use ablative tiles, and the HOME shields are still ablative, but spaceplanes use high-temperature ceramics and carbon-carbon tiles so that they don't have to replace the tiles after every launch.