[0.20.0] Dagnus Class Rockets

I'm here to present the first of Dagnus class rockets, the Dagnus-I!

Dagnus-I1_zpsd32ea360.png

Dagnus-I2_zpsf1367926.png

Download Link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24250760/KSP%20Ships/Dagnus-I.craft

This particular design might be rather basic, but it is nice way to experiment with ways to bring different things into space. That is why this version does not contain any command pod (thanks to 0.20). I actually have a version with a capsule, though I will post it by request. Due to the nature of this design, feel free to actually customize it for any particular need. Hopefully, I unleash the Dagnus-II model that is more powerful than this one.

And yes, this is my first publicly released command-podless design rocket (though not my first built such rocket).

Not sure about the exact weight capacity as I forgot to do checks. It is able to reach 75km with the mid-stage intact. As a matter of fact, it can do munar injection with medium-sized probes to partial munar injection on medium-heavy capsules.

This model is not able to hold landers yet, but the next model should be able to. If you want me to, I can also distribute a version with a working capsule (as stated capable of partial munar injection before going into the actual capsule stage). As stated earlier also, I haven't done any checks on the weight overall.

If anything, I can check it out on one of the next flights.

Not sure about the exact weight capacity as I forgot to do checks. It is able to reach 75km with the mid-stage intact. As a matter of fact, it can do munar injection with medium-sized probes to partial munar injection on medium-heavy capsules.

This model is not able to hold landers yet, but the next model should be able to. If you want me to, I can also distribute a version with a working capsule (as stated capable of partial munar injection before going into the actual capsule stage). As stated earlier also, I haven't done any checks on the weight overall.

If anything, I can check it out on one of the next flights.

Would love to know the actual numbers of the weight capacity for the thing ;)

Officially performed a test. It's approximate max launching capacity (for the rocket itself and not including any kind of capsules) is about 30t-35t. It was unable to achieve 75km with 44t-45t.

It should be able to perform better with the next model.

I am now introducing the 2nd model, the Dagnus-II!

Dagnus-II_zps366eee25.png

Download: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24250760/KSP%20Ships/Dagnus-II.craft

My recent testing with this model has confirmed to be able to hold 38t-40t range (nearly passed the 75km mark at 45.33t). It is now able to achieve munar injection when using a capsule-based spacecraft (I might post that configuration later if y'all want me to ). Currently, it might need a bit more fuel before it can start holding landers. Other than that, it definitely works well.

Making another new post to let y'all know that the Dagnus-III model is now available!

Dagnus-III_zpse56aac01.png

Download: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24250760/KSP%20Ships/Dagnus-III.craft

Performed a test on this model and managed to confirm being able to successfully lift 44.55t on one test! Not only that, but a capsule-based configuration can preserve the 3rd stage (before entering the capsule stage) even to the Mun! Now, I know I have done that in the past actually.

I currently do not know the max launching capacity for this one yet, but it might be somewhere close to the 50t range. There might be a forth model in the future, though that is currently under planning. In the meantime, enjoy this model. ;D

One easy way to see its theoretical max capacity is to install either Mechjeb or Engineer.

- Pull up the Delta-v listing by stages.

- Add mass to the payload (doesn't matter what, fuel tanks are easiest) until all "carrying stages" total ~4700 dV.

- Pull off those carrying stages and look at the mass number of your payload.

If you're feeling feisty, you can test it then, but at least we'll have some idea.

One easy way to see its theoretical max capacity is to install either Mechjeb or Engineer.

- Pull up the Delta-v listing by stages.

- Add mass to the payload (doesn't matter what, fuel tanks are easiest) until all "carrying stages" total ~4700 dV.

- Pull off those carrying stages and look at the mass number of your payload.

If you're feeling feisty, you can test it then, but at least we'll have some idea.

Been months since I used Mechjeb (last version I used it on was 0.17). However, I do find that mod to be great for obtaining information (which was mainly what I used it for in the past anyway).

Edit: Just tried out the Engineer mod/plugin and got to say it works great for finding the Delta-V. Haven't calculated the maximum capacity yet.

Edited by Bandock
Tested Engineer

Testing isn't "feeling feisty" - it's as basic as putting an engine on the booster, because payload builders want to be able to grab a rocket of 'x' performance and go. That's the reason I kept Temstar's Zenith series loaded and ready to go in Subassembly Loader in .19, and will again soon. All validated and with a handy chart of parts count and lift capacities. You already have to fly the booster to check your flight sequence and strutting, why not put a proof mass on top and validate the lifitng capacity while you're at it?

Testing isn't "feeling feisty" - it's as basic as putting an engine on the booster, because payload builders want to be able to grab a rocket of 'x' performance and go. That's the reason I kept Temstar's Zenith series loaded and ready to go in Subassembly Loader in .19, and will again soon. All validated and with a handy chart of parts count and lift capacities. You already have to fly the booster to check your flight sequence and strutting, why not put a proof mass on top and validate the lifitng capacity while you're at it?

It was very friendly sarcasm, as far as I'm concerned the "mass to orbit" number is probably the only useful metric for now while everything is sandbox. Efficiency is just bragging rights. Low part count is helpful insofar as the final stage can be kept ~120 parts or less, as dropping stages rapidly lowers the part count.

I'd like to build a master catalogue of lifters with a whole range of 20-320 tons. There's currently a gap between the Zenith and Mammoth series (180-240 tons), and a small gap before the Zenith series.

Dagnus I is nice, reminds me of Rus-M and from a picture of some sattelite launcher in the 1st book I got about space, when I was like 6-7...gonna download it just because :)

EDIT:a good idea would be for you to get Kerbal Engineer Redux, and place as much load as you can so you got 4,5km/s delta v

Edited by dimovski

Thanks dimovski. :D

And yes, I got Kerbal Engineer Redux earlier and found it to be a very useful mod. Due to great usage, I'm going to use that one on any design I work on (to see how much delta-V they can produce with payloads and all).

Also, you might want to remove upper stages from the boosters, and place a clustered core instead of a mainsail, that should give it a bit more performance with less weight I think...also, I think optimal lift-off TWR is 1.5 or higher (1.5- youre essentially coasting somewhere slightly lower then terminal velocity, this is good for crafts which have their core burning throughout the whole time, as there is less delta-V waste on throttling down)

Thankfully, Kerbal Engineer Redux will help with building a better design since before, I had to depend on testing to even see how it would turn out. I could do the math myself, but too lazy to do it. :P

Very good suggestion dimovsk about raising the TWR. I have been experimenting with TWR recently anyhow.

Edit: Just checked the TWR for the first stage of Dagnus-III (Base), it is above 1.5 TWR. However, I am still planning to improve it.

Edited by Bandock

Well, you see, from my own expirience, it is /preferable/ that the TWR is between 1.5-1.7 for the 1st stage, burnout somewhere 15km, 2nd stage TWR 1.3 burnout...whenever :P...and 3rd stage between 0.5 and 1, anything higher then 1.5 at liftoff means you couldve slapped a bit more fuel on > thus increasing capacity, also from what Ive seen, as soon as it becomes "easy" for the engines to ascend, MechJeb makes them gimbal a lot even for the tiniest steering error, same is below 1.5...ofcourse that might be my imagination, because the Proton has a lift off thrust of 1.5 :P and the Proton is my favourite rocket

Yeah, I had to strap more fuel for the Dagnus-III (for the first stage, since the original version of the Dagnus-III had more fuel for the 2nd stage that was less effective due to lower TWR). Which reminds me, the Dagnus-IV should be available soon. Right now testing it (which so far has kept the 3rd stage near fully intact even all the way to the Mun).

And yes, the Dagnus-IV will have 9 engines for the first stage. After the Dagnus-IV though, I might need to make major tweaks.

Here is the promised Dagnus-IV Model!

Dagnus-IV_zpsbac029a4.png

Download Link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24250760/KSP%20Ships/Dagnus-IV.craft

One unfortunate thing though is I might need to use some form of subassembly loader since if you place the Tuna Can Lander first, that one takes precedence over any other pod. This is why it would be handy to have a way to specify a primary/root assembly as for a request.

Feel free to read it here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/31981-Simple-Multi-Assembly-Implementation (I originally requested for Thread Merger/Deletion since there is still a thread out there talking about subassemblies)

At least on the bright side, this is a very formidable design (not the most powerful design on here, but more powerful than the other Dagnus models).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.