Just found this, KSP's debut

Aladran

I came from Orbiter-Forum, so I was one of the first to find out about KSP. I never knew it was going to grow into something so popular.

Also, it's interesting to see the origin of the term "Kerbal".

Edited by Pipcard

i prefer games that don't try too hard to be reallistic.

a) Orbiter is not really a game--it's a tool/app for simulating spaceflight and to a certain extent, atmospheric spaceflight

B) It's not trying to be realistic--Newtonian physics and celestial mechanics exists in the real world, and to make something mimic that, all you need is to is to choose which parameters you want to represent in a 3D representation of the real world. In the case of Orbiter, a lot of things aren't "realistic", such as the lack of damage and collision (except on planetary surfaces) and not taking into account relativistic effects (which it should really be simulating, if it's "trying" to be as real as possible). The author of Orbiter simply didn't want to model those parameters.

My first paid version of the game was 0.18 (I downloaded the 0.13 demo) so I see this as a proud citizen of an established, yet still growing, country visiting a museum to see the artifacts of his forebears. :D

ha, maybe when this game is complete, there could be a lil ingame 'museum' in the main menu or something, nothing too flash (unless u wanted it to be) but just a scrollable with things like moach's post, or various screenshots or the various versions, with short descriptions... im sure theres a fair part of the community who played the old versions that could help with the latter part

KSP_LOG001.jpg

I really do hope that if they add interstellar flight, the first star added will be called Allumminnia. That would be cool.

Also, the Kerbal XII should be added as a stock plane. Of course, the explosion... issue would have to be fixed. Maybe.

I have a question.

If this thread is so old, why do the hyperlinks in the text lead to such new images, with EVA and the runway and everything? Was the post updated? Confused

If you look at the last edit time, Harvester went back and updated the first post in late 2012. That's why.

Ah, I see you found the source. That post was the very first public announcement about KSP. Everything else sprouted from that (there was a post on Unity forums and on GameDev as well, but those didn't catch on).

Heh, quite a blast from the past, certainly. And at a most auspicious time too, we're a few days away from the 2nd anniversary of that post. :)

Cheers

But there were pictures of Kerbal EVAs and large scale rocket parts. How could that be the very first public announcment?

pilots are braver and have a high nausea tolerance, but they're stupid; scientists are smart, but cowards and get sick really easily; engineers... not sure yet... maybe they're somewhere in between, or something else.

Remind you of anyone?

I did suspect Jeb, Bob, and Bill seemed like they'd do those different roles. So that was interesting to hear.

But there were pictures of Kerbal EVAs and large scale rocket parts. How could that be the very first public announcment?

All of HarvesteR's screenshots and other aspects had been updated regularly, as KSP grew. At least I myself was surprised when I checked the thread every now and then, while I was working on some Orbiter-related projects, then I realized that the images kept getting updated once and a while. In fact, it was the later images, around 0.18, that let me decide to actually get the demo, and then later, purchase the game--I have to admit I wasn't too impressed when I saw the very first post--it was the later posts that convinced me to try it out, and I again have to admit, I'm now hooked. In fact, I'm so into KSP now, that I don't have time to finish an update to a Moonbase I was enhancing for the Orbiter Community LOL :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.