First dream about KSP brings an interesting idea.

Odo

so last night I awoke in the morning, from a dream, about Kerbal Space Program! I'll give you guys the plot, and at the end, theres an interesting idea that could be replicated in KSP.

So basically there I was, running my space program, when the kerbal government told us that we were causing too many explosions, and that we were going to blow a hole in Kerbans ozone layer or something, so we had to leave before the government killed us (yes they were trying to kill us because of this) So we made a massive rocket, and flew to Duna, where there, we activated the final stage, where the rocket opened up and about 20 capsules/buildings flew out with parachutes on them, which then all safely drifted down to Duna, creating our own lil colony down there. It was like a self making tent.

Could this be replicated in the real game? The design would be something like, you start entering the atmosphere in one of the final stages, and when you go to the next stage, you separate with a bunch of decouplers, and it activates many parachutes as well, all on the separated stages. There would also be the uncrewed pods on the buildings and such so it acted as a probe. The buildings wouldnt be much, a hitch hikers can, with some solarpanels, each with a bit of uniqueness, Also some actual pods as homes. You get the idea, is this possible?

I'm not sure it would work well as you almost always need some retrorockets firing to land on Duna even with parachutes. I think the engines throttle to zero when they are not actively being controlled. So when you separate all of your landers they theoretically would all turn their engines off and would crash, AFAIK. If you do it on Eve, it would work no problem though.

Yes, but it might take me a while. Keep an eye out, maybe someone would cheat to do this. But I'll do it all stock.

Yes, this is possible.

*Note to the guy above me* What if it was a strong capsule? Or it had some struts under it to keep it from exploding? It doesn't have to be a soft landing.

Yes, but it might take me a while. Keep an eye out, maybe someone would cheat to do this. But I'll do it all stock.

Yes, this is possible.

*Note to the guy above me* What if it was a strong capsule? Or it had some struts under it to keep it from exploding? It doesn't have to be a soft landing.

Lithobraking is an option, but there is a lot of random chance in that. :)

Yes, this is possible.

So you'll attempt it?

I'm sure if you strapped enough parachutes on they'd be fine...

If not, you could always have some sort of detonatable shock absorbers on the bottoms of the stuff your landing.

Kind of like:

Parachutes,

Example building,

Decouplers,

Structural beams acting like a pillow.

Land them, then detonate the remaining crap under them.

I remember my dream about KSP... It was about a world that looked exactly like Eeloo, except that this happened before Eeloo was added to the game.:confused:

You are the oracle of KSP.

Ok so for my first test, here's some interesting stuffs.

I can in too steep, so all the parachutes ripped off. :sealed: Unfortunately I did not quicksave.

8qPpgTb.jpg

All except for Jebediah Kerman, that badass survived and here is him with his parachute deployed.

2Ullmyw.png

LvoSK3K.png

Despite all of your people's whining (and some of my own) I decided to go ahead and test it without the cushion or larger parachutes or larger capsules.

UFlD6BF.png

He came down at a rough landing of about 13 m/s but he survived none the less. So now we know that we can do it with small capsules, one parachute, without a landing cushion.

In order to do this, i think you'd need to make the mothership plane-ish, with wing surfaces.

things fly REALLY well in Duna's atmosphere, so you could trickle along slowly, dropping pods as you go.

Balance might be an issue..

In order to do this, i think you'd need to make the mothership plane-ish, with wing surfaces.

things fly REALLY well in Duna's atmosphere, so you could trickle along slowly, dropping pods as you go.

Balance might be an issue..

Like a B502 dropping bombs everywhere?

I'm sorry I didn't put two parachutes on, as I finished the mission THEN read your comments.

Anyways, no use crying over it: here is (what I imagined to be) your dreamscape.

The orbit map before reentry.

eJvZUez.jpg

The capsules descending on their parachutes in a neat orderly form.

eGfNmvV.jpg

...and their toppling over after a rough landing.

E8wfdyp.jpg

I decided that it didn't look nice and proper, so after a little bit of elbow grease from Bob...

QFydWrK.jpg

...things are looking good.

KbUPJIy.jpg

mwa7GZ6.jpg

zlb4WeD.jpg

I hope you liked this little thing I put together in about an hour, it sure was fun.

Also, while we are on the concept of dreams, a little bit of irony comes into play, because I just started getting interested in lucid dreaming. http://www.dreamviews.com/dream-signs-recall/132328-dream-recall-compendium.html

I registered here and got my first lucid dream only yesterday night. There's a lot to that topic so I'll just end my post...

Here.

Will do. I'm exploring on the Mun in a new rover design of mine :) Idk what I hope to findbut its relaxing cruising along the Mun at 10 m/s (21 mph)

i'm sorry i didn't put two parachutes on, as i finished the mission then read your comments.

Anyways, no use crying over it: Here is (what i imagined to be) your dreamscape.

The orbit map before reentry.

ejvzuez.jpg

the capsules descending on their parachutes in a neat orderly form.

egfnmvv.jpg

...and their toppling over after a rough landing.

e8wfdyp.jpg

i decided that it didn't look nice and proper, so after a little bit of elbow grease from bob...

qfydwrk.jpg

...things are looking good.

kbupjiy.jpg

mwa7gz6.jpg

zlb4wed.jpg

i hope you liked this little thing i put together in about an hour, it sure was fun.

Also, while we are on the concept of dreams, a little bit of irony comes into play, because i just started getting interested in lucid dreaming. http://www.dreamviews.com/dream-signs-recall/132328-dream-recall-compendium.html

i registered here and got my first lucid dream only yesterday night. There's a lot to that topic so i'll just end my post...

Here.

Victory! Wooohoo :D

Mind linking the craft file of the rocket you used? I wanna see this bad boy

Well, I don't know how to link the craft file, but its basically an asparagus effect launcher, that will get it up to high kerbin orbit. Then a nuclear transfer stage (a couple of nuclear engines and a little bit of fuel), then a small tank with a mainsail for deorbiting. Then some struts with small separators and capsules on them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.