Whats this? SPOILER!

Hmm, I remember when I was scouting a place for my Mun Base I was in like a 2 km orbit around the Mun at the exact inclination over there, all I saw was the arch. Then again, I wasn't even looking for it. Ill make sure I do some exploration of the crater as soon as I deliver my rover to the base (Which is located by the arch on the rim of the crater)

Hmm. Two possibilities:

1 - I very frequently see blinking light blips that I mistake for anomalies, but on deeper investigation they turn out to be places where the terrain polygons fit together and I'm looking momentarily at a terrain polygon edge-on which makes it have a few white pixels that appear and then go away - making blinking points of light. I've gotten into the habit now of zooming the camera back, and then rotating the camera a bit every time I see a blinking dot - usually moving the camera to different positions like that will slightly change the angle at which I'm looking at terrain polygons, which makes the blinks go away if it's just a phantom graphics glitch.

2 - Perhaps you *are* looking at an anomaly, but some graphics glitch is making it temporarily visible THROUGH cracks in the ground polygons. So it's not located there on the surface, but rather it's located THROUGH the Mun and on the opposite surface where your line of sight would exit the other side of the Mun.

Hmm. Two possibilities:

1 - I very frequently see blinking light blips that I mistake for anomalies, but on deeper investigation they turn out to be places where the terrain polygons fit together and I'm looking momentarily at a terrain polygon edge-on which makes it have a few white pixels that appear and then go away - making blinking points of light. I've gotten into the habit now of zooming the camera back, and then rotating the camera a bit every time I see a blinking dot - usually moving the camera to different positions like that will slightly change the angle at which I'm looking at terrain polygons, which makes the blinks go away if it's just a phantom graphics glitch.

2 - Perhaps you *are* looking at an anomaly, but some graphics glitch is making it temporarily visible THROUGH cracks in the ground polygons. So it's not located there on the surface, but rather it's located THROUGH the Mun and on the opposite surface where your line of sight would exit the other side of the Mun.

Interesting theory. Definitely possible.

I agree with the "graphical glitch" idea. Given that the Mun is probably the most landed on (or one of the most landed on) bodies in the Kerbol system it's unlikely that any anomalies exist which haven't been found on it. Even if the latest version gave us another the chances of someone not noticing it thus far are pretty slim, especially as it's pretty much on the equator and that's the common orbital path for at least taking off from the surface.

In other words, glitch until proven otherwise. The MapSat data is pretty conclusive :P

Hmm. Two possibilities:

Yep, that's most likely it. I have seen this happen myself with the Mun Archs. If your ship is higher than about 80 km, then the terrain seems to unload, making it transparent.

Edited by RocketPilot573

I sent Jebediah for further investigation and found... nothing.

I will go for the north pole instead.

LAnn5z1.jpg

edit: wait wait wait... where did 3 pages of thread come from?

edit2: anyone remember the old floating-mün-arch thread? It turned out that sometimes the archs from the other side of the mun are visible.

Edited by Ford_Prefect

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.