0.20.2 Munshine V - Another Bloody Apollo Style Spacecraft (but light!)

WAYFARE

Aerospace, Engineering & Kitchen Appliances

“Our SCEs don't even have an AUX setting.â€Â

This craft is outdated - find the KSP 0.21 version here!

As seen on YouTube! Featured in Malkuth1974's

and HOCgaming's

Based on video reviews and user feedback, "how to" sections have been added to this thread in RTFM red :wink:

Downloads:

Munshine V: Standard Apollo-style Mun mission craft. 194 parts, 394 tons.

Munshine V - E: Enhanced version carrying a rover. 215 parts, 399 tons.

Munshine V Deluxe: Includes rover, scientific instrumentation and decorative junk antennae. 249 parts, 401 tons.

All three versions in one handy zip file.

Introduction

Many moons ago (Get it? Moons? Haha!) Wayfare AE&KA released the Munshine XI-B. This award-winning* craft carried Kerbonauts to the far reaches of the solar system and received

that stunned viewers and Wayfare engineers alike. Today, the Munshine returns – reimagined, as they say – with a new designation and a new purpose. Carrying that proudest of Roman numerals, V, this Munshine actually goes to the Mun. Apollo-style. Does the world need another bloody Apollo clone in KSP? At under 200 parts, our engineers said yes!

* Kerbal Space Program Widows Association “Recruiter of the Year†2012

The Craft

At a launchpad mass of 394 tons and a part count of 194, the Munshine V is a surprisingly light implementation of the Apollo mission profile. It comes with a few amenities like launchpad illumination and a probe core on the Munar Module (MM). The Complimentary Snacks Module (CSM) carries three Kerbonauts, two of whom should be able to overpower the third and go land on the Mun themselves.

Download the Munshine V here, or read on for a full mission profile.

Action Groups

0: Engage launchpad illumination. It doesn't switch off. Sunglasses found in the “spare fuses†compartment (actual spare fuses replaced by paperclips).

9: Lock engine gimbal on outside engines. You'll probably need to hit it twice because it's wonky.

1: Toggle solar panels

2: Toggle CSM docking light

3: Toggle MM floodlights

4: Toggle MM landing lights

Some illegal home-brewed booze may be found in the “emergency oxygen supply – do not open†compartment.

Pictures!

xvoBOuf.jpg

Sitting on the launchpad, Munshine V comes in at 194 parts and a hair under 400 tons of mass. Night launch? No problem!

DzElae9.png

We decided to go for daylight anyway. Liftoff! Five Mainsails go a long way. Gravity turn to 10 degrees recommended at 5,000 meters.

How To Launch

1. Disable outside engine gimbal (action group 9)

2. Engage ASAS, throttle to 100%

3. Stage for liftoff

4. Turn to 5-10 degrees at 5,000 meters

5. Turn to 20 degrees at 200 meters per second

6. Turn to 30 degrees at 400 meters per second

7. Drop first stage, turn to to 45 degrees (should be around 500 meters per second)

8 Turn to 60-70 degrees at 700 meters per second

9. Go horizontal at 1000 meters per second, burn until Apoapsis hits 80-100km

mWwzGHN.jpg

Dropping the first stage leaves the Munsine V with 114 parts at 160 tons. Five Skippers take over. Transition to 45 degrees after dropping the first stage, around 15,000 meters.

m9bm0YD.png

Circularizing with the third stage at 120,000 meters, now at 95 parts and 53 tons. Munshine V has enough battery capacity to sustain a few orbits before your Trans-Munar Injection (TMI) burn.

KGs0wpq.png

The TMI burn is conducted to provide a collision course. Hairy? You bet! But this ensures the third stage and any other debris will crash safely into the Mun rather than become a navigation hazard later on (safety of Mun residents not guaranteed).

OieJV8H.png

The CSM undocks from the MM and third stage, turns 180 degrees (tip: use pitch rather than yaw for this maneuver, it will like up the crew hatches better) and docks back on. The CSM then pulls the MM free of the third stage and discards its own engine shroud.

How To TD&E

1. Ensure ASAS is on, undock MM from CSM decoupler

2. Move CSM forward slightly under RCS translation, open docking shield

3. Pitch CSM 180 degrees so it's pointing at the MM docking clamp

4. RCS translate the CSM forward again and dock to MM

5. Decouple third stage, RCS translate the joined CSM/MM craft backwards a little

6. Turn joined craft to desired correction burn orientation and decouple CSM engine shroud

3S8rUsL.png

Following a correction burn (because we don't want the whole mission to crash into the Mun just yet), the joined CSM and MM coast towards the Mun with solar panels extended.

1faQzS6.jpg

Capture burn over the Mun. Sure got a nice view there!

xtkckL4.png

After transferring two crewmen to the MM, it undocks from the CSM and drifts away before making its descent burn.

nNpRmP1.png

The MM burns down to a nice, softish landing.

How To Land on the Mun

1. Detach crewed MM from CSM

2. Burn MM slightly retrograde to move it away from CSM

3. About 45 degrees ahead of desired landing site, burn to de-orbit

4. From roughly 10 kilometers up, burn retrograde at full throttle

5. Keep burning according to the rule of thumb that 1km altitude = 10m/s velocity (so at 4km altitude, you want to be going 40m/s)

6. Land safely and don't get killed

p2bvvPD.png

Flag planting time!

TP78iO0.png

Blasting the MM ascent stage off the Mun.

nXaezve.png

Rendezvous and docking is hard – but it sure is pretty.

P9mIdUJ.jpg

Once the MM crew is back on board the CSM (that's kind of important), the MM is undocked and uses its remaining fuel and/or RCS to de-orbit. The CSM then burns back to Kerbin, aiming for a nice re-entry.

XqksoVD.jpg

So long, complimentary snacks – you've been yummy.

RnjfR5W.png

Being on fire is perfectly normal. That's space travel for ya.

9dgRDcV.png

Welcome home, space heroes!

Munshine V - E Edition

Here it is folks - the Munshine V - E!

"E" stands for "Expedition". Or "Extra". Or "Enhanced". Or whatever.

Have you ever walked into a room full of engineers and told them you love their design, you just want to make it more complicated? Fortunately, Wayfare has a solid chain of command and we didn't have to beat our engineers with it for too long until they agreed to add a rover to the Munshine V. They also added a couple of extra RCS fuel tanks to the other side of the landing stage. They don't like it when you call them ballast. They especially don't like it when you call them [bLEEP].

The "E" edition runs the Munshine V up to 399,69 tons and 215 parts on the launchpad. That's 21 additional parts and less than half a ton of extra mass. It affects the original flight profile about as much as you sneezing during the TMI burn.

I825OFA.png

Deploying the buggy is easy - just right-click the docking port and decouple the node.

BiIl8cz.png

Rarely have Kerbals been so excited about a few wheels bolted to a metal plate!

mdZ7Ynz.png

"Let's go over there!"

"What's over there?"

"Genesis rocks? Ancient arches? Scantily-clad purple-skinned Munbabes? Who cares? Vrooom!"

Wayfare recommends you enable brakes before decoupling the rover. To save power, disable the motors on the rear wheels when operating the rover. When rover is low on power, park rover in the sun for a few hours to recharge. Do not flip rover. Do not roll rover. Do not attempt to orbit rover. Rover parts may be harmful if swallowed. Use at your own risk.

Munshine V Deluxe

Meet the newest member of the Munshine V family: the Munshine V Deluxe! Our engineers warned us this would happen after the "E" edition. "They'll just want more!" they said, "It's a slippery slope!" they said. They were right.

Still, even with a whole bunch of bells and whistles attached, the Munshine Deluxe remains a lightweight at 249 parts and 400.72 tons. So if your computer laughs at such a part count, consider picking up the Deluxe. You deserve it!

Compared to the Munshine V standard, the Deluxe adds the following:

2BfwAXp.jpg

Escape-A-Blast Launch Escape System. A handsome little thing that will lift the command pod right off the rocket and hopefully towards someplace safer in the event of cataclysmic failure. Should be discarded before circularization to prevent it from living on as a kinetic space missile in low Kerbin orbit.

dBNtKhq.png

Sweet! Satellite TV on the Mun! Lander antennae deploy in action group 6.

FJYVtjU.png

A rover from the "E" model is slung under the left-hand side of the lander stage. Deploy by right-clicking the docking port and decoupling the node. Rover has been enhanced with an antenna which needs to be deployed manually (to prevent it from poking holes in the fuel tanks and killing everyone).

OyOIkTI.png

In case you're interested in "science", a full instrumentation panel has been mounted low on the right-hand side of the lander. It comes with its own illumination hooked up to the lander floodlights action group (3).

XVBW3iN.jpg

Not to be outdone, the Complimentary Snacks Module (CSM) has also been fitted with antennae (action group 5). Its solar panels have been upgraded to slicker versions.

Edited by Wayfare

Full disclosure: the Munshine V was inspired by Jm419's Earth V, a splendid design which encouraged me to move away from asparagus staging. I've found the Munshine launcher to be much lighter (in terms of part count, not mass) and more stable than my previous designs. Thanks Jm419!

Thanks guys!

csiler2: I agonized over the lander for a long time, trying out many different configurations. With KSPs limited selection in low-volume fuel tanks I found it quite hard to design a true two-stage lander that would be both light on parts and good on looks. Kinda proud of how it turned out :)

Mulbin: That's high praise coming from you :) While our design philosophies differ a bit in terms of part count (that's an understatement), your Munbug series sure is pretty!

I love the look and feel of this craft, but I seem to be missing some pieces from the Stock Download- possibly corrupted by another mod, etc-

is there any way to fix it short of re-downloading/installing?

missingtexturefueltanks.png

J-tk, while I did use Subassembly Saver/Loader during the build, I tested this version in a perfectly clean 0.20.2 install of the game and had no issues. Restarting your game might help, make sure you don't touch anything while KSP is loading parts during startup. Is anyone else experiencing this?

WoodyD, it is dropboxed :) If you're using Chrome, the browser has a nasty habit of opening .craft files as text. You can either copy/paste the text into a .craft file, or you can right-click the download link and choose "save as".

Everyone: I'm working on an "expedition edition" that will include a deployable ultralight rover (seats two, 10 parts, less than half a ton in weight) and science package. Stay tuned!

Thanks, not just your mod unfortunately :( Have a couple of others that are blacked out with engines running, and a few black parts in the ship part building panel, so think im gonna re-download and swap over the squad files from gamedata and see/hope that

fixes it!

Full disclosure: the Munshine V was inspired by Jm419's Earth V, a splendid design which encouraged me to move away from asparagus staging. I've found the Munshine launcher to be much lighter (in terms of part count, not mass) and more stable than my previous designs. Thanks Jm419!

AWESOME. I'm honored that you'd choose my design for inspiration. I'm really glad it's gotten such a great community response; it's a fun launcher, to be sure.

I can definitely see the optimizations you've made, though. I think 149 parts are used for the launch vehicle on the Earth V, while the remaining 101 are for the payload. (But it's so much fun to launch those gigantic rockets!) Trimming out some of the extra mass in the payload (the giant freakin RCS tank, for example, which I just included for aesthetics) definitely shows up lower down in the vehicle itself, which results in a ship that cuts out fifty parts and a hundred and sixty tons. Very nicely done.

The whole asparagus staging thing really makes a difference for the realism, don't you think? It's profoundly pleasing to just... drop everything below you on the way up. I've never actually built a true asparagus launcher - my early attempts were more like onion launchers - but the real world application of in-line staging really makes for a nice looking rocket.

I'll have to play with this. What do you think of the Skippers on the middle stages? I assume you read the debate about the Poodles vs. Skippers in my thread - do you like them? My concern is that I think they'd be too heavy, too fuel-inefficient, or just too powerful.

Also - holy cow, you do aggressive gravity turns.

Again, nicely done on this; I particularly like the lander and the launchpad lights. It's always fun to see someone else work on a design path you've worked with in the past. Let me know how you solve the rover placement issue; I'd be interested in seeing your solution in regards to mine. Great work all around!

Thanks for building this- found out my legacy Nova Punch pack was the culprit :( A shame too, love their Gemini Craft, but I saw their working on updating the pack for 20+

In the meantime, keep adding this awesome Stock Craft Please!!!!

Thanks for building this- found out my legacy Nova Punch pack was the culprit :( A shame too, love their Gemini Craft, but I saw their working on updating the pack for 20+

In the meantime, keep adding this awesome Stock Craft Please!!!!

The Mercury & Gemini components were broken out into their own pack and updated for .20 quite a while ago. Search the Spaceport for "FASA".

Jm419 - I'm glad you like it! Cutting the launchpad lights and their RTGs would save another 20 parts (yikes!) but there's just something awesome about seeing the rocket and the whole pad bathed in light during a night launch.

Realism wasn't actually that great a concern to me - what I really appreciate about inline staging is the simplicity and stability. Asparagus staging inherently adds a lot of parts (decouplers, struts, fuel lines) and tends to induce roll during staging. Inline rockets fly straight and true. I just never thought that a fairly light inline rocket could do the sort of lifting an asparagus rocket can. Turns out the Munshine V - with the third stage and up replaced by a small Poodle-powered orbital stage - will push at least 40 tons of payload into LKO and possibly more. So I not only got a really nice Apollo-style Mun rocket, but I've also found my new lifter of choice :)

The Skippers work wonderfully in the second stage. I'd be worried about the low thrust of Poodles, though I guess a less aggressive gravity turn would help. Poodles really shine in thin atmosphere/vacuum. My turn sequence tends to be 5 degrees at 200m/s (just to clear the KSC), 20 degrees at 300m/s, 45 degrees at 500m/s, horizontal at 1200m/s.

Funny you should ask about the rover. I just spent two hours working on increasingly absurd counterweight payloads until I realized I could just put a couple of spherical RCS tanks on the other side of the lander and be done with it :sticktongue:

Let me know how you like the Munshine! I have yet to fly your Earth V (just picked it apart for engineering ideas) but I'll be sure to return the favor.

j-tk, good to hear you got your problems fixed! I've had a lot of fun with the Nova Punch pack and am happy to see it being kept alive. Now go fly the Munshine in all its textured glory ;)

Here it is folks - the Munshine V - E!

"E" stands for "Expedition". Or "Extra". Or "Enhanced". Or whatever.

Have you ever walked into a room full of engineers and told them you love their design, you just want to make it more complicated? Fortunately, Wayfare has a solid chain of command and we didn't have to beat our engineers with it for too long until they agreed to add a rover to the Munshine V. They also added a couple of extra RCS fuel tanks to the other side of the landing stage. They don't like it when you call them ballast. They especially don't like it when you call them [bLEEP].

The "E" edition runs the Munshine V up to 399,69 tons and 215 parts on the launchpad. That's 21 additional parts and less than half a ton of extra mass. It affects the original flight profile about as much as you sneezing during the TMI burn.

I825OFA.png

Deploying the buggy is easy - just right-click the docking port and decouple the node.

BiIl8cz.png

Rarely have Kerbals been so excited about a few wheels bolted to a metal plate!

mdZ7Ynz.png

"Let's go over there!"

"What's over there?"

"Genesis rocks? Ancient arches? Scantily-clad purple-skinned Munbabes? Who cares? Vrooom!"

Wayfare recommends you enable brakes before decoupling the rover. To save power, disable the motors on the rear wheels when operating the rover. When rover is low on power, park rover in the sun for a few hours to recharge. Do not flip rover. Do not roll rover. Do not attempt to orbit rover. Rover parts may be harmful if swallowed. Use at your own risk.

Edited by Wayfare

Ah, you counterweighted it? I was considering that - and it's more Apollo-accurate anyway - but what I ended up doing was putting it on top of the Lunar Module. I'll post pictures of that in my own thread.

However, I did fly the Munshine V to the Mun and back, and I figured you might like to see.

xsX7vVn.png

Here's how much fuel I had after the TMI burn.

KQyFUuN.png

Crew transfer.

JmBtyiU.png

yZzuCSd.png

I like the angled descent ladder quite a bit.

dGh3GOt.png

x5CJbr0.png

PRobzjG.png

iadTYqI.png

There was so much fuel in the descent stage, I felt bad about leaving half a tank on the Mun, so I took it with me. I emptied it during my rendezvous; you can see how close I got to the CSM.

HCagi2a.png

Redocked and fuel transfer.

OaZqvpY.png

Here's how much fuel I had left after my return burn.

SieR3G0.png

VQdp0rb.png

I kept the CSM for reentry, because I like the flames. :)

CiB3sJb.png

I essentially flew an Earth V-profile mission - that is, I flew it like I would one of my own ships. As such, I'll compare the flight to the Earth V as I noticed similarities and differences.

--The ascent was similar, remarkably so, though the Munshine gets into orbit in about half the time. The stages drop at about the same height, though it's possible to get into orbit on the Earth V without burning the third stage. This one may be capable of that as well, but I had to burn the third stage for circularization in my flight.

--The TMI burn was very close on the fuel. You can see I had about three hundred liters less in the Munshine's tank than the Earth V. Again, this is because the Earth V has an overabundance of fuel.

--The TD&E maneuver was a bit funny because I wasn't quite sure how you set up your decouplers. Still, I figured it out; my method used one more part, but ditches the engine shroud automatically.

--At the point where I transferred over to the Mun's SOI, I had an issue which cost me 800 m/s of delta v. The periapsis was listed as 18,000 meters when I was in Kerbin's SOI, but once I hit the Mun's, it dropped so far into the surface I had to accelerate to 1100 m/s to get it out of the regolith, and of course, I had to slow down by a similar amount to land. Not your fault, obviously, but I was a bit short on fuel for the rest of the flight.

--The LV-909 is a bit underpowered on the MM; I had to do a full-on suicide burn to prevent crashing. That's my own fault; I came in at 500 m/s, 5,000 m up, and on my own lander, which is powered by a Poodle, I would've been fine. I neglected to account for the smaller engine in my descent, and in my ascent (I nearly crashed back down). Recall that I used the descent engine for the ascent as well.

Other than that, the flight was pretty uneventful. I kept as much fuel as possible for the flight home; I wasn't sure how much I'd need because of the SOI debacle. It's a good, solidly built ship. If I might make a few recommendations:

1. I would take about half the fuel off the MM descent stage. You don't really need so much; you can see it lifted me back into an orbit, and I could even rendezvous with the descent tank.

2. I'd probably give the MM descent stage some more thrust.

I liked the probe in the ascent stage of the lander, so you can ditch it using the RCS, or whatever. My ascent stage is a dummy, which I should probably rectify.

What were the solar panels for? Aesthetics? I know they charged the probe, but why were they on the CSM as well?

No escape tower? For shame. :)

Nicely done here. It's a good ship - you should be very proud.

Edited by Jm419

Cheers Jm419! I just flew a complete mission with your Earth V and I'll have a write-up in your thread shortly.

--The ascent was similar, remarkably so, though the Munshine gets into orbit in about half the time. The stages drop at about the same height, though it's possible to get into orbit on the Earth V without burning the third stage. This one may be capable of that as well, but I had to burn the third stage for circularization in my flight.

I don't think the second stage can make orbit - maybe just, if you fly a perfect ascent and shoot for the lowest possible orbit. But I purposefully design lifters to leave no debris in LKO, which is why circularization is done with the third stage.

--The TMI burn was very close on the fuel. You can see I had about three hundred liters less in the Munshine's tank than the Earth V. Again, this is because the Earth V has an overabundance of fuel.

Yup, the third stage is pretty tight as a result of the second stage being non-orbital.

--The TD&E maneuver was a bit funny because I wasn't quite sure how you set up your decouplers. Still, I figured it out; my method used one more part, but ditches the engine shroud automatically.

I derped pretty big on the TD&E on your craft, though I did sort it out. Pilot error :) The connection between the CSM and the MM is one of the more interesting engineering challenges in these designs, as you don't want to have any debris between your CSM and MM when you're trying to dock them back together. Using a dual decoupler was a clever solution. In fact, your design showed me that the Munshine CSM can keep its engine shroud attached during the TD&E, which cuts out the need to flip the third stage. Yours could do the same if you get rid of the stack separator.

--The LV-909 is a bit underpowered on the MM; I had to do a full-on suicide burn to prevent crashing. That's my own fault; I came in at 500 m/s, 5,000 m up, and on my own lander, which is powered by a Poodle, I would've been fine. I neglected to account for the smaller engine in my descent, and in my ascent (I nearly crashed back down). Recall that I used the descent engine for the ascent as well.

Depends on what you're used to I guess :D I find the Poodle too heavy for a light lander like this. I may try swapping the single LV-909 for a set of four on the outside tanks to make it a bit more forgiving.

1. I would take about half the fuel off the MM descent stage. You don't really need so much; you can see it lifted me back into an orbit, and I could even rendezvous with the descent tank.

I'd love to do that, but I can't figure out a way to do it without compromising pretty severely on part count and/or aesthetics. The current arrangement of fuel tanks has a functional role too, as it leaves gaps where additional payload can be tucked into while giving the landing legs a nice stable spread. I tend to use part of the excess fuel for stuff like non-equatorial landings, high altitude killing of horizontal velocity, and other such things.

I liked the probe in the ascent stage of the lander, so you can ditch it using the RCS, or whatever. My ascent stage is a dummy, which I should probably rectify.

Yeah, that's another part of my as-little-debris-as-possible policy. Although the CSM has enough fuel to put the MM on a suborbital trajectory, undock it and then re-esablish orbit for itself.

What were the solar panels for? Aesthetics? I know they charged the probe, but why were they on the CSM as well?

They're functional on the lander, just for looks on the CSM.

No escape tower? For shame.

We go down with the ship :D

Nicely done here. It's a good ship - you should be very proud.

Thanks!

Edited by Wayfare

Meet the newest member of the Munshine V family: the Munshine Deluxe! Our engineers warned us this would happen after the "E" edition. "They'll just want more!" they said, "It's a slippery slope!" they said. They were right.

Still, even with a whole bunch of bells and whistles attached, the Munshine V Deluxe remains a lightweight at 249 parts and 400.72 tons. So if your computer laughs at such a part count, consider picking up the Deluxe. You deserve it!

Compared to the Munshine V standard, the Deluxe adds the following:

2BfwAXp.jpg

Escape-A-Blast Launch Escape System. A handsome little thing that will lift the command pod right off the rocket and hopefully towards someplace safer in the event of cataclysmic failure. Should be discarded before circularization to prevent it from living on as a kinetic space missile in low Kerbin orbit.

dBNtKhq.png

Sweet! Satellite TV on the Mun! Lander antennae deploy in action group 6.

FJYVtjU.png

A rover from the "E" model is slung under the left-hand side of the lander stage. Deploy by right-clicking the docking port and decoupling the node. Rover has been enhanced with an antenna which needs to be deployed manually (to prevent it from poking holes in the fuel tanks and killing everyone).

OyOIkTI.png

In case you're interested in "science", a full instrumentation panel has been mounted low on the right-hand side of the lander. It comes with its own illumination hooked up to the lander floodlights action group (3).

XVBW3iN.jpg

Not to be outdone, the Complimentary Snacks Module (CSM) has also been fitted with antennae (action group 5). Its solar panels have been upgraded to slicker versions.

Edited by Wayfare

I don't think the second stage can make orbit - maybe just, if you fly a perfect ascent and shoot for the lowest possible orbit. But I purposefully design lifters to leave no debris in LKO, which is why circularization is done with the third stage.

Yeah, I initially intended for the Earth V to be a "clean" launcher - and you can make it that way if you fly safe. Yours just enforces the idea a bit more strongly, which works.

I derped pretty big on the TD&E on your craft, though I did sort it out. Pilot error :) The connection between the CSM and the MM is one of the more interesting engineering challenges in these designs, as you don't want to have any debris between your CSM and MM when you're trying to dock them back together. Using a dual decoupler was a clever solution. In fact, your design showed me that the Munshine CSM can keep its engine shroud attached during the TD&E, which cuts out the need to flip the third stage. Yours could do the same if you get rid of the stack separator.

You know, when the Earth V was designed, I didn't think to just undock the decoupler to avoid having a stack separator. I may have to revisit my design to input your suggestion.

Depends on what you're used to I guess :D I find the Poodle too heavy for a light lander like this. I may try swapping the single LV-909 for a set of four on the outside tanks to make it a bit more forgiving.

At the same time, I like your lighting setup. The LV-909s might be a way to increase your thrust if you put in four of them, but the lights will have to be moved around.

I'd love to do that, but I can't figure out a way to do it without compromising pretty severely on part count and/or aesthetics. The current arrangement of fuel tanks has a functional role too, as it leaves gaps where additional payload can be tucked into while giving the landing legs a nice stable spread. I tend to use part of the excess fuel for stuff like non-equatorial landings, high altitude killing of horizontal velocity, and other such things.

No, I totally understand where you're coming from, both on the aesthetics and the functionality. My Mercury VI lander was designed similarly, save with either four or five LV-909s on the descent stage (depending on if you lit the center engine).

Yeah, that's another part of my as-little-debris-as-possible policy. Although the CSM has enough fuel to put the MM on a suborbital trajectory, undock it and then re-esablish orbit for itself.

The probe on an ascent stage has always been an elegant design characteristic. For some reason, I just left it out on mine. I've kept it in the past, but if I go in and do a redesign, I should really just change a few things around.

We go down with the ship :D

I gather the Kerbals aren't informed of this.

Thanks!

It's always fun to fly rockets in the same family as one you've designed. I had fun - your ship is certainly more edge-of-the-seat than mine, which is a good thing for sure.

That's so cool :cool: Did you drive the 2.5km to there? How did you like the buggy?

Actually didn't take the rover, that was precision jetpack flying lol, sadly, one Kerbal never made it back lol. The rover is going up later

today to drive thru some arches!

Great design, especially with the latest updates!

Actually didn't take the rover, that was precision jetpack flying lol, sadly, one Kerbal never made it back lol. The rover is going up later

today to drive thru some arches!

I killed Bill once by smashing him into a lander after a long EVA flight. "Hey guys, I'm ba...!" *SPLAT*

Enjoy the rover! It's not the fastest, but it's really stable and - under sunlight - can go on for a long time.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.