[WIP v0.1] Wet Workshops - Live inside your fuel tanksâ„¢

NovaSilisko

I think that the major problem with a "wet workshop", at least as far as NASA is concerned, isn't so much with the technological challenges, but the internal/external/political forces.

Nope. It's the technical, technological, and operational challenges and the high costs they bring with them.

The heaviest parts. Also the insulation cabling, and structure are included here. It's the just the furniture and appliances that need to be transported up separately. They do not weigh nearly as much as the actual structure of the house.

That's true of your house. It's not true of a space station, not one with any useful capacity and worth the cost however.

the "technical challenges" could be overcome with a bit of actual effort, and not just minor studies every few years. At least as far as converting stages that hydro-lox are concerned. Hypergolic and hydrocarbon -using stages I understand as actually being beyond possible to convert due to specific issues with those fuels.

As with Der Kosmos above... your theory fails to take into account anything even remotely resembling engineering reality. Anything installed in the tank before hand needs to be able to survive whatever the tank is filled with (cryogenics, kerosene, or worse yet some of the hypergolics). They need to be engineered so that none of it comes loose and interferes with the flow of the contents of the tank (and since it's immersed in liquid, the loads are higher than if it were simply in air). They need to be designed so that they don't trap (and subsequently outgas) any of the tanks contents (a serious problem with H2, kerosene, or worse yet some of the hypergolics, a potential fire hazard in the case of LOX). They need to not interfere with any of the slosh modes inside the tank in such a way as to cause destructive vibrations... etc... etc...

That's what the bladders are for!! (see post #142, it kinda relates to my second post)

In using these, I've never launched the workshop contents seperately, not only does it tend to glitch out, it just never made sense. I see no reason to perform a second launch when I can essentially pack all the supply contents into the top section of the stage and perform a marginally heavier launch. I wouldn't try to have any internal rooms or structure pre-installed while fuel is in the tank, I would however have simple tab A into slot B internal fittings preassembled and stacked pancake style in the top.

Depending on how much fuel space is sacrificed for equipment, you could easily pack in computers and other assets as well, all in the top portion of the tank. No need for complicated internal structure beyond having one internal wall section reinforced and bolted in to carry the load of the other equipment on top of it.

Once in orbit, the internal fuel bladders and fuel lines would need to be removed and packed into some module for deorbiting (perhaps even a lower sub-stage, using the engine of the lifting stage) and some sealing would need to be performed, but you'd be left with a mostly empty cylinder, from there it'd be fairly straightforward to move the internal walls down, one at a time from the top to their intended positions. If the connections for ventilation were already installed in the wall sections it would be just a simple to run accordion-style ducting from section to section..

I feel like I may need to produce some sort of picture.. it's really easy for me to picture in my head. Googling lift-slab construction and looking at that might help, only instead of pouring a slab and then lifting it up and bolting it in for each floor, you'd be lowering preconstructed sections down from the top and bolting them in place..

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
is it just me or has this mod attracted a cult following even though it is unfinished

Is it just me or has this GAME attracted a cult following even though it is unfinished :P

Is it just me or has this GAME attracted a cult following even though it is unfinished :P

yes i agree but first of all i advise against this necro considering this is most definitely dead...

now back to making ECLSS configs....