structure tips for a space station start

So I've started making a space station, or at least started trying. My plan was to make it in a grid pattern for stability. The issue I'm finding is that its incredibly wobbly while its orbiting the planet. I'm curious if there are any tips for making a station that seems far more physically stable. I was pretty proud of myself for getting a full large fuel tank up.

6E4085635ED7964EE56537FE1FE1934300892050

As it would happen I accidentally clicked on 'end flight' rather then 'space center' and so I wont be able to test just yet.... seeing as its gone now. But 'ill have to give that a go. At the time, it seems like the wobbling was just the physicals of it only being connected by that one port.

The main rule is don't use ASAS on the station (not that I see one here).

Also, struts, and wide parts. I hear the clampotron senior is more stable than its smaller siblings.

I tend to use the docking strut mod to reinforce docked ships, but I'm not sure if it's working in 0.20

this is my standard outer planet refuelling station design, very stable because of multiple attachment points for docked parts, and has a low part count

mx8JNwWl.png

Fi7m9prl.jpg

multiple attachments are good for stability

and the low part count obviously for docking completed ships for refuelling and keeping frame rate high

the top cap is docked to both the bottom "base plate" by a central shaft and the three outer fuel tanks which are also docked to the base plate

Just leave ASAS off.

It tends to screw up when there is more than 1 command module.

Also, while a grid sounds like a good idea, it's quite difficult to build. My stations tend to be hub with spokes.

Any design you have should be stable providing there is no ASAS and engines are not burning.

This framework is the basis of the two stations I have built so far.

KSP18.jpg

This is one that has had various parts attached to the framework.

KSP19.jpg

Sanity that refuelling rig looks spot on. What sort of lifter did you use to get it up there?

i dont really design anything as a single ship, i design in modules.

and everything rides to orbit on my default lifter, strong, reliable, not prone to spontaneous explosion or performance of interpretive dance

ukm.png

Base Plate Module

jto.png

Top Cap Module

4e0q.png

Fuel Tanks

7du.png

Interplanetary Drive (One Way), they dont have the thrust to return once they stage

iz.png

----------------------

i stuck this together in duna orbit from 3 interplanetary ships

1 ITP Engine carried the top cap + Fuel Tank

1 carried the base plate + Fuel Tank

1 was just a fuel tank with an interplanetary engine stuck on

all three were built from individual modules and assembled in kerbin orbit, then off they go, the ITP engines have enough fuel to deliver a full orange tank to duna (given perfect launch conditions), the ITP engines are 2 stage, 1 stage to break kerbin orbit and 1 nuclear engine for the transfer, downside is they have very long burn times because they are made from only 1 nuclear engine, but they're extremely fuel efficient.

when they got there i undocked the fuel tanks and carried parts from the engines, disposed of interplanetary engines (in Duna's Atmo) and rearranged the remaining parts to form the station, 3 full tanks less than 60 parts, docking ports for every possibility, internal power and RCS supplied, sadly the Kerbal will be alone in the capsule till someone comes to relieve him, maybe ill make an unmanned version at some point.

i suppose i could assemble the whole thing around kerbin and then push it to other planets, but ive never tried

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.