[Showcase] Non Asparagus Launch Vehicles

So here's an issue with the Saturn IX: It's so tall that can't modify any of the lower features, because they go clear through the floor. I would like to fix the engines, since the Mainsails overheat, but I can't actually reach them. :(

So here's an issue with the Saturn IX: It's so tall that can't modify any of the lower features, because they go clear through the floor. I would like to fix the engines, since the Mainsails overheat, but I can't actually reach them. :(

Huh... Screenshots? I'd love to help you out if I could see your problem! (:

The Mun Racer! I designed it to get to the mun asap, no matter where the mun is from your location. It's kinda tall due to it being able to launch straight up to mun, orbit, land, take off, and fly back to earth.

screenshot14.png

Me and my brother raced-

I played the role of America, while he was the Russians. Let's just say his rocket preformed parallel to the N-1.

The fuel tanks are asparagus-y, but technically it doesn't qualify.

Judges?

Woo! I'd love to try to fly that thing. Is it all stock? Can we have the file? :D Only trouble is it'd probably choke my computer.

My M.O. in KSP is to try to do things in the goofiest way I can manage. For example, I love to have the "re-entry" heat on the leading edges of my ships as they are heading up to orbit.

E-fish-in-sea? Wuzzat?

Uh, yeah. Lemmie find a freebie file share site. I'll post it.

It is all stock. But I warn you: From liftoff to out-of-fuel takes me about 1 hour 15 minutes real time. Just due to low FPS.

#EDIT: Let me know if this works.

An Exercise In Absurdity Mk2

For example, I love to have the "re-entry" heat on the leading edges of my ships as they are heading up to orbit.

screenshot31_zps919558f2.png

Well, I got good news for you.

#EDIT: OOOOOH I think I finally figured out the fix for the Mk3! Going to work on that right flippin' now! :D

Edited by Whackjob

screenshot53_zpsce22fc4f.png

Here's the progress on the engine cluster for the Mk3. When completed, there will be 8 such clusters on the Mk3. 21 engines per cluster, for a grand total of 168 engines. I've got the first bolted to the top of the wheel while I finalize the parts. Then I'll bolt the assembly in place.

It's taken an absurd amount of struts so far. More will be necessary once the thruster clusters are in place. The Mk2 was crazy, but this thing will be pants-on-head nuts.

Well... I took the rocket cluster setup for the Mk3 for a test. No spare tanks at all yet. I just wanted to run the motors through their paces and see what I can expect.

screenshot58_zps93efe4da.png

I did not expect this. If I had control surfaces and thrusters... well, I think I accidentally made a giant SSTO.

O_o

#EDIT: Adding docking clamps, RCS thrusters, and control surfaces. I want to put this bad boy in orbit! Drop tanks can wait!

Edited by Whackjob

Well... I took the rocket cluster setup for the Mk3 for a test. No spare tanks at all yet. I just wanted to run the motors through their paces and see what I can expect.

I did not expect this. If I had control surfaces and thrusters... well, I think I accidentally made a giant SSTO.

O_o

#EDIT: Adding docking clamps, RCS thrusters, and control surfaces. I want to put this bad boy in orbit! Drop tanks can wait!

What FPS did that run at?

@Whackjob, Holy crap that's insane...

Heh. That's what I'm going for.

What FPS did that run at?

Two or three. Much faster than the Mk2.

Added docking ports, batteries, solar panels, RCS thrusters, vaned wings. Going for orbit. I do notice one oddity... I don't think my fuel meter is reporting right. It looks like it'll run out far sooner than it does. Are these engines hugely efficient past a certain altitude or something?

Heh. That's what I'm going for.

-snip-

Added docking ports, batteries, solar panels, RCS thrusters, vaned wings. Going for orbit. I do notice one oddity... I don't think my fuel meter is reporting right. It looks like it'll run out far sooner than it does. Are these engines hugely efficient past a certain altitude or something?

nope, last i checked, areo spikes have the same surface isp as they do vacume isp, which is why they are so good. they are really efficient for in-atmo rockets, and fairly efficient for space engines.

nope, last i checked, areo spikes have the same surface isp as they do vacume isp, which is why they are so good. they are really efficient for in-atmo rockets, and fairly efficient for space engines.

Well technically the ISP at sea level is less efficient in a vacuum by 2 [units, or whatever ISP is measured in].

Here's my Semi-Reusable Rocket that's capable of launching most payloads into orbit.

Here it's lifting a "Jumbo 64" Tank up to a Space station:

xcKON1h.png

Upon arrival a pair of tugs move the tank to the Station:

gBDiauQ.png

Reentry:

P1Pt3OM.png

And finally the core stage returns to KSC only 55 minutes after launch:

VwkXdYs.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.