Planets and ScaledSpace.

Maybe after the first version is released, Kagrathea could get a bunch of testers from 64bit systems to see how bit it really is?

It doesn't matter, the game uses int32s and doubles to store numeric values why it will only count to 4294967296 regardless of your RAM amount or OS version.

Unfortunately, I've had this chat too many times with C7 at facepunch and he always says the game is too complex to be ported to 64 bits right now and that it would take too much time.

There is, however, a way to keep all the localspace celestial bodies but the visible ones unloaded to save RAM but that's something I cannot apply until I get to understand how is the GameObject of a planet composed

And by the way, my method of loading the planets does not require any scenario and you can even spawn them on dynamically during render on demand (I do these tests by instancing another planet, usually Minmus).

I have also been able to create a dynamic minmus asteroid field during render between Kerbin and Duna and it works just fine, without overloading the RAM with crap.

Edited by shadowsutekh

Just curious, are you waiting for krag to release her code so you can resume your work?
No, I work on my project when I make any kind of intelectual progress on the process of figuring out the correct structure.

I know Minmus is made of the following 49 components:

I just need to know how do they interact between each other, how to correctly spawn the PQS sphere and how to add the planet itself to the LocalSpace.

For ScaledSpace, I guess I just need to add the GameObject to layer 10 and then use scaledSpaceObject.AddScaledSpaceTransform(myplanet.transform);

So as Sirkut said, you are waiting for Krag to release the Code so you can "RESUME YOUR WORK" in other words, you have the shts because someone has done something you are not yet capable of Achieving, and your throwing a tanty. Another option would be to try and be patient for when Krag feels he/she is ready to release the Mod along with the Source.

When I was looking into generating planets I read that minmus may be procedurally generated.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/27245-QUESTION-Are-the-stars-randomly-generated/page2

I do know that some of the planets don't have meshes which made me thinks its generated within the code. That's about when I gave up.

It si procedurally generated in the sense that it does not have 4583457239057823453 sections that are united in real time with textures, bump maps, models, etc for each section.

The "procedural" generation is PQSMod_VertexPlanet and PQSLandControl.

And now that you make me say this, I've just had an idea to test tomorrow.

So as Sirkut said, you are waiting for Krag to release the Code so you can "RESUME YOUR WORK" in other words, you have the shts because someone has done something you are not yet capable of Achieving, and your throwing a tanty. Another option would be to try and be patient for when Krag feels he/she is ready to release the Mod along with the Source.

I am not waiting for him to release anything, I highly doubt he will release anything ever.

What annoys me is that he refuses to help other people to understand a game mechanic that was not explored before and that HE DID NOT DISCOVER HIMSELF, someone ELSE told him how to assemble them and he is basically just c&p the code AK gave him and changing the PQSMODs and component fields to create different kind of planets.

Edited by shadowsutekh
Politics

I only answer if someone mentions me but the fanboys of Kagrathea like you cannot leave me alone

I'm sorry but I am no "fanboy". Kagrathea is showing some awesome work and trying to inform us of her progress, and all you're doing here is basically releasing your anger to everyone who's amazed by her work. Make yourself a development thread and go show your own work there. I'll repeat myself, but if you aren't bringing anything constructive, you are not needed here.

Okay kids, here's the deal, if some of you can't play nice, find somewhere else to play. There's no need to post in this thread to just harass the OP or other members.

This activity will stop now or I can start issuing infractions.

Got it? Good.

Cheers!

Capt'n Skunky

KSP Community Manager

Hello Kerbals! An interesting question has just passed across my desk. Oh yes, quite interesting. We are computing the cost of various options and we have encountered a quandary. Should we charge for the option or for the absence of the option? Let me explain... No. Let me sum up...

Do you want to know where your new planets/stars are before you discover them yourself? You see we can display them in your delightfully primitive map from the very start. Or only after they have been "discovered" (entered SOI if you want to be pedantic (whatever that means)). Ideally we would charge you for whatever option you would prefer. But I can see we have made a cockup of it. So your choice Kerbals. No charge. Orbits from start or not. Discuss.

Edited by Kragrathea

Can it be mixed? As in some of the new planets/moons will be displayed on map from start (like current ones do), and some are only 'mapped' as it were upon entering SoI. I kinda like the idea of 'undiscovered' planets, really adds a new layer to exploration. But having a few new ones mapped right off would be good I think. Honestly I am going to want to see a couple planets right away when this is released, not hunt them all down. Though hunting for the majority of whats added sounds very fun indeed.

Maybe if some of the planets are hidden in map though you should include a 'deep space map' .png file with picture of fully mapped new planets and hints to get intercepts.

Edited by KhaosCorp

yes from me too.. though the question presents itself: is it possible to make it an option in the scenario, so that if people want to have it displayed or hidden is a choice they can make?

Depends on what you're adding. If you're adding stars (which I think I saw somewhere on this thread... maybe... o.O) then let us know the orbits for those from the start and withhold the planets around those stars. If it's only planets around Kerbol, then let us know those orbits.

Feel free to quote stuff on me, I'd rather not have to run through 10 pages of a thread looking for a few words/posts when there's people who know where it is already! :confused:

Let me explain... No. Let me sum up...

This opens up a whole can of worms.

manure nodes

I do not think that word means what you think it means.

We Kerbals are famed astronomers. It is very unlikely that we would have not already detected and mapped any planets and stars near our system. It would be exceedingly strange to happen across world that we hithertoforesoand did not know existed. I would desire to have always known the location of any additional planets in any universes available to us, pocket or otherwise.

One wonders what is up your sleeve with this offer of generosity. After all, we know never to go up against a Kragrathean when Dres is on the line.

This opens up a whole can of worms.

I do not think that word means what you think it means.

We Kerbals are famed astronomers. It is very unlikely that we would have not already detected and mapped any planets and stars near our system. It would be exceedingly strange to happen across world that we hithertoforesoand did not know existed. I would desire to have always known the location of any additional planets in any universes available to us, pocket or otherwise.

One wonders what is up your sleeve with this offer of generosity. After all, we know never to go up against a Kragrathean when Dres is on the line.

Lol, true, make him (more) angry and he might even remove the sun altogether.

And Mr. Shifty. Apparently we have jaded you. Alas. You were so delightfully innocent when we agreed to allow you to negotiate. Well in this case you are embarrassed for not trusting us. You shall have either option (map orbits or no) free of charge. And whats more I have persuaded the finance department (the sods) to throw in the two timewarp levels for free! Free I tell you. I think you will realize now how silly a kerbal you were to doubt our good will and sincerity.

Greetings Devo! Radio waves from your 80's have recently arrived and we are most pleased with your "Whip it". Very good indeed! May we have a blessing to name a moon in your honor?

YES!!!!

All of this what you said.....do that!

Greetings Devo! Radio waves from your 80's have recently arrived and we are most pleased with your "Whip it". Very good indeed! May we have a blessing to name a moon in your honor?

Ah yes! We have hit upon the perfect tribute to the great Devo. Our planetary engineers have latched on to (pit bull aint in it) that hat you wear in your most excellent video. We shall make an erection of that hat upon the planes of Ares. So high that it towers above the atmosphere (assuming we can pull that off of course). Fingers crossed.

Of course! As long as you whip it, whip it good :D