Presenting Kerblab! - A Stock Skylab Analogue with launch vehicle.

I've always loved the classic design of the original American Skylab station, and I went about attempting to recreate it in KSP with stock parts. After doing some photo research and with judicious application of struts, I believe I have been rather successful in that endeavor. So therefore, I present to you: Kerblab!

cfzp2Dk.jpg

CSgCeyL.jpg

84zkBgM.jpg

31qJ3tH.png

nqXyJXU.png

fX99pHU.png

As stated earlier, it was created with all stock parts. I launched the craft using both MechJeb and manually - manually is a little difficult, as the quad solar array throws off the center of mass a little bit, but you should be able to compensate for it. The launch vehicle provides about 6300 delta V, so you should be able to place this thing anywhere in Kerbin orbit, or in the orbits of the Mun or Minmus if you're precise with your burns. I have attached the part file, sans Mechjeb, for your enjoyment. I always appreciate your comments, and I hope you find some enjoyment with this station. As seen in the above pictures, it has one docking port which means you should be able to replicate the classic Skylab with Apollo CSM look if you wish.

Craft file HERE

Problem: Solved! Behold, the power of a small fuel tank. I've also added the second docking point opposite the telescope/

Pro: Looks good, matches the color scheme better.

Con: Its heavy, therefore reducing the total delta V to around 6000. It's still good enough for almost any Kerbin orbit, and perhaps you can get it into Munar orbit. If you want to get the old stats back, you can load the ship on the pad, then go and edit the persistence file to remove all the fuel from that small tank. I've updated the craft file here.

Pictures below:

QfCiJi3.png

zwXduik.png

3ZhmrMj.png

Ufo52uV.jpg

I'm gonna have to break one of the large solar panel arrays, specifically the one missing on the left side:

3ickE.jpg

Well, alas, if we still had the launch tower, you could crash it into that on launch. Maybe you can attach a small decoupler there and blow it off at an appropriate time on launch. :P

Still has mod parts, the KSPX large SAS module, could you perhaps remove that please? I suspect it's on the rocket, but I don't know because I can't load it :P

Edit: It is on the rocket, the second stage in fact. Could you please remove it?

Edited by Gojira

And, two problems solved. Large SAS and ASAS modules removed. I replaced the small fuel tank with the stock SAS and ASAS modules. That should get the Delta V back to the original 6300 range and finally ensure we have nothing but stock parts. I've updated the craft file again - you can get it here. Two updated pics below.

mY95WOg.png

Ki6arFR.png

Also, to those who may be wondering, Skylab was originally supposed to have solar arrays on either side of the habitation module, but damage occurred during launch. The protective heat shield around the habitat ripped off and took one of the solar arrays with it, hence the emergency repairs that had to be conducted in orbit and the station's lopsided shape in reality.

Hello again everyone. I hope those who have downloaded Kerblab are enjoying it. I thought I'd post a few shots of the station in operation. In these two pictures, you can see both the small CSM and large CSM docked with the station. While docked, the large CSM has two 1x6 solar arrays that supplement the station's own generation abilities. Both CSMs are also made entirely from stock parts.

J3Xg5Ar.jpg

Di43J4G.jpg

bJ371G7.jpg

e6g5w4O.jpg

If anyone is interested in either one of the CSM designs, let me know and I'll post the craft files. I used the recently released RCS balancer plugin mod to balance the RCS thrusters on both designs, so you should be able to easily translate them without any rotation.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.