[WIN/MAC/LINUX] KSP Trajectory Optimization Tool v1.6.9 [New MATLAB Version!]

New user to the mod, finally opened the pandoras box of blissful distraction and got it up and running. Im running a stack of mods, but is there any immediately obvious reason that a straight up Duna transfer has me arriving in game several months too late? (although the porkchop and associated values look just like your examples (perhaps somethings chnged default starting positions (kopernicus?))) and why the Kerbin Jool transfer gives me ca 16km/s as its best answer for an optimised transfer? would love to be doing some nice multi flyby gravity assists as soon as i can!

Thanks for a top bit of code guys, hope you can help

New user to the mod, finally opened the pandoras box of blissful distraction and got it up and running. Im running a stack of mods, but is there any immediately obvious reason that a straight up Duna transfer has me arriving in game several months too late? (although the porkchop and associated values look just like your examples (perhaps somethings chnged default starting positions (kopernicus?))) and why the Kerbin Jool transfer gives me ca 16km/s as its best answer for an optimised transfer? would love to be doing some nice multi flyby gravity assists as soon as i can!

Thanks for a top bit of code guys, hope you can help

Hey there! Can you take some pictures? Screen shots help with this sort of thing. In the mean time, try moving the arrival date forward for Jool. Also not sure what you mean by the Duna arrival being late. Can you clarify?

Hey there! Can you take some pictures? Screen shots help with this sort of thing. In the mean time, try moving the arrival date forward for Jool. Also not sure what you mean by the Duna arrival being late. Can you clarify?

i'm having the same error, also with kopernicus installed. I've tried not loading the bodies.ini file and i still get this error.

gZkBtkX.png

Doh! What a rookie mistake. I feel as if this helps Bluefox out too. Now i'd imagine the Kerbin->Laythe tutorial will work... :cool:

No worries. I really need to add this Jool question to the FAQ because I think just about every new user asks it at some point. :-)

Problem.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5szl6zao1a5j2h2/Problem.png?dl=0

theres a screenshot for the duna issue, it does in fact look like somethings put Duna in the wrong starting position. Its not kopernicus, as ive removed that (actually just kopernicus tech, required for kerbol plus mod) so ill look for the cause elsewhere. perhaps theres a way to query the game file for this info on sfs load, and cut universal time out of the computation?. also i can see why youre getting the jool question alot, having fiddled with it it seems that "earliest departure" and "earliest arrival" simply declare the plot area that the algorithim searches for a min dv within, rather than (as the uninformed user such as myself would assume) simply the earliest dates youre happy to work with. Maybe theres a simple way to make this clearer. thanks for the reply!

Thank you for this great tool.

I have one question: what is the meaning of the parameter atmoHgt in the bodies.ini file? I presumed it's pressure, but couldn't get it right in any units when compared to the pressure values for the KSP planets.

Thank you for this great tool.

I have one question: what is the meaning of the parameter atmoHgt in the bodies.ini file? I presumed it's pressure, but couldn't get it right in any units when compared to the pressure values for the KSP planets.

See this post for definition of all parameters

Heya Arrowstar!

Been totally obsessed with TOT since I stumbled into it last week. Fantastic stuff! I always wondered how to get those more complex missions going - this is a huuuuge help.

I actually made it through this whole thread!

It's a bit funny, though - I'm using the Mac version, and started getting confused looking at the changes for post 1.2 but not seeing them. Then I finally realized Mac build's not up to date.

bk2w: Have you had any luck getting a more recent release built? There are several MATLAB licenses at my work, though I don't have direct access to them. I could possibly ask some of the users for some time, though, if it's as simple as compiling something, though I recall you seeing UI issues ...

Anyway - thanks!

1. Is this compatible with the Outer Planets mod?

You need to load up a vessel and then use the File menu of KSPTOT to export a new bodies.ini file that you can the load, after which KSPTOT will recognize all the new planets

2. By save-breaking, do you mean that it won't store any input from earlier releases, or that I would need to re-start my save file?

Simply means that any mission files you created with an earlier version will not load in Mission Architect

Arrowstar have you considered extending the comm analysis with dish & targeting support? Not sure if you already planned to eventually get around to this once the current basic functionality was fully tested or if I need to convince you. But if it's the latter here are my issues:

5zJW3sC.png

Black dot in the center of Kerbin is an inter-planetary comsat in a polar Molniya orbit high above Kerbin, using a 400M km dish to talk to craft at Duna (or beyond). It then uses a small 50,000 km dish to talk to a relay satellite (inner dot), which then uses a 2500 km omni antenna to talk to KSC or, when KSC is not visible it bounces signals off any of 7 other satellites with 2500 km omni antennas (only 3 of my dedicated comsats are shown here - see the whole picture here).

The reason I depict these three satellites is because they also contain 50,000 km dishes to talk to satellites around Mun and Minmus. However since MA treats everything as omni, it will think any of these three satellites can talk directly to my IP ComSat. So the red line is the path the comm route is supposed to take, blue is the path MA will analyze it taking.

Granted, at the speed of light across these distances near Kerbin we're talking a negligible difference in travel time - but it still largely affects 3 of the 4 graphs being output by the comm analysis window.

Another example is that I actually have two IP ComSats in Molniya orbits (so one is always visible) and a craft around Duna and Ike - both are only able to talk to one IP ComSat. So if the craft around Ike can't see its IP ComSat, it should try to route through the craft around Duna to the second one. However MA will just connect it straight to the second IP ComSat it's not supposed to be talking to if it can see it. (or it can actually talk directly to KSC from this distance - which again it's not supposed to do)

Edited by Gaiiden

• 2 weeks later...

Hello !

This tool looks great but I have troubles using it, it's a bit hard...

I did the tutorial for going to Laythe but I still don't know how I can use it for making gravity assist.

Can someone help me ?