[WIN/MAC/LINUX] KSP Trajectory Optimization Tool v1.6.9 [New MATLAB Version!]

5 minutes ago, salajander said:

Those instructions need a bit of tweaking to be non-Mac specific - the download URL is for the Mac builds, and installing cabextract should be done with your Linux distro's package manager (apt, yum, etc.).

But otherwise it should work just fine. I haven't had any issues with it on OS X (apart from being unable to get the parallel processing to launch).

If you can suggest a more neutral wording, I'm all for it. Go ahead and post the new instructions here. :-) 

1 hour ago, Arrowstar said:

If you can suggest a more neutral wording, I'm all for it. Go ahead and post the new instructions here. :-) 

1. Install WINE (I installed the latest staging build from https://www.winehq.org/download/)
  2. Install cabextract and ensure it's in your PATH
    1. On OS X, use homebrew or macports; e.g., 'brew install cabextract'
    2. On Linux, use your distro's package manager (apt, yum, etc.)
  3. Install winetricks: https://wiki.winehq.org/Winetricks
  4. Install the native VC++ runtime: 'winetricks vcrun2012'
  5. Install the (Windows!) MCR: 'wine MCR_R2014b_win64_installer.exe'
  6. Launch KSPTOT! : 'wine KSPTrajectoryOptimizationTool.exe'

Alright guys, here's the deal on KSPTOTConnect:

I spent some time this evening working with it on the new v1.1.2 version of KSP.  I've gotten it to compile and run.  It works great on the x86 (32 bit version) of KSP.

It does not work on the x64 version of KSP.

I honestly don't know why.  The same code simply doesn't want to execute the same way in a certain place on the x64 build, and unfortunately that place is in some part of the code that I got some networking/threading help on, so I don't know it as well.  All I know is that it's broken in KSP x64 and that's what's causing KSP TOT to not be able to connect to KSPTOTConnect to pull orbit data and the like.

Here's what I have so far for KSPTOTConnect (both plugin DLL and source).  If anyone wants to play with the new plugin, that'll be it as of tonight.  And if anyone wants to take a look at the source code and see what's going on, the issue exists anywhere LFQueue is called.  I could certainly use the help.

If anyone tests the new plugin out, please report back here with feedback.  Thanks, and sorry for the delay with all this, not sure how I'm going to fix this one... :/

On 4/8/2016 at 9:57 AM, Arrowstar said:

1) I can include that in the import utility for the RMS, thanks for the suggestion.

2) Thanks for letting me know about the maneuver import in MFMS.  I'll look into fixing that.

3) Regarding synodic periods and the porkchop plot: So yes, I agree this has always been a point of confusion, particularly for Jool and Eeloo.  Unfortunately the only real way to prevent it entirely is to make the user specify the start and end dates manually, which is something I really want to avoid because just adds more things the user needs to figure out.  Now, as far as automation goes, something I could do, for example, is detect when the problem is occurring, suggest a new syodic period setting to the user, and then automatically re-run the plot if they accept the new setting.  How would that sound?

Update: These are now all fixed/completed for the KSPTOT v1.5.1 release.

EDIT: Also fixed a bug in the way KSPTOT computed the line of nodes for hyberbolic orbits.  Woo. :)

Edited by Arrowstar

8 minutes ago, dlrk said:

Arrowstar,

I apologize if this is a blindingly obvious or blatantly ignorant suggestion, but could KSPTOT use kRPC to communicate with 64 bit KSP?

Maybe, but for simplicity I would much rather stick to one commications protocol, as I'm sure you can understand. :-) 

Absolutely, I meant if the 64 bit issue isn't resolved. Is it a possibility in that situation? Personally, I'm not really concerned if the mission control functions are fully implemented I'd be happy with just retrieving orbits and uploading maneveur nodes

Edited by dlrk

So, I'm back after a year of waiting for x64 only to find that my favorite mission planning tool is having trouble with the upgrade. I wish I had enough current programming knowledge to help fix the issue, but sadly I'm lacking in that department. In the meantime though, can the external software be used at all without the link? Or does it prevent the importing of planetary orbits and thus make it useless?

57 minutes ago, SpacedInvader said:

So, I'm back after a year of waiting for x64 only to find that my favorite mission planning tool is having trouble with the upgrade. I wish I had enough current programming knowledge to help fix the issue, but sadly I'm lacking in that department. In the meantime though, can the external software be used at all without the link? Or does it prevent the importing of planetary orbits and thus make it useless?

You can use the standalone, *.exe portion without any problems.  At the moment, the work-around for the x64 version not working is to use the 32-bit version of KSP.  That all still works, I tested it out last night.  Other than that, you'll just have to give me some time to figure things out.  I'm not sure what's going on. :(

3 minutes ago, Arrowstar said:

You can use the standalone, *.exe portion without any problems.  At the moment, the work-around for the x64 version not working is to use the 32-bit version of KSP.  That all still works, I tested it out last night.  Other than that, you'll just have to give me some time to figure things out.  I'm not sure what's going on. :(

Sadly, I'm already full to the brim with mods to the point that the 32-bit version crashes on startup (this is the whole reason I spent almost 2 years away from the game since I like my mods). I guess I could theoretically keep two installs just to get planet orbit data into TOT, but I'm not sure how effective that will be beyond allowing for some basic planning, since not having the ability to import ship orbit data back and forth would make using the flight plans pretty difficult. I'm thinking I can just wait for now, as I'm just starting up a new save and probably won't be needing interplanetary planning for at least a little while...

Alright, everyone, here is Pre-release 8 of KSPTOT v1.5.1  It's been about 6 months since the last pre-release.  Sorry about that, life got busy and sometimes you just need to let the creative juices recharge for a bit.

Downlink link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29126891/KSPTOT_v151_prerelease8.zip. Just replace your existing KSPTrajectoryOptimizationTool.exe file with the EXE in the ZIP file.

Use with the KSPTOTConnect plugin I linked to above: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29126891/KSPTOTConnect.zip

Please let me know if you see anything that needs fixing.  @Gaiiden, let me know if that child body rendering size fix I created for Mission Animator is to your liking, please!

3 hours ago, Arrowstar said:

@Gaiiden, let me know if that child body rendering size fix I created for Mission Animator is to your liking, please!

There is one issue - the size of the bodies scale with distance. If you zoom out to see the whole system, Eeloo is this huge sphere and if you move the View Angle out far enough all the markers become large enough to no longer be visible (because the camera is inside them now :P)

Also I don't have any sort of environment setup to sort through a C/C++/C# project but if you have an idea of what file(s) the problem may center around I will take a look at them

Edited by Gaiiden

2 minutes ago, Gaiiden said:

There is one issue - the size of the bodies scale with distance. If you zoom out to see the whole system, Eeloo is this huge sphere and if you move the View Angle out far enough all the markers become large enough to no longer be visible (because the camera is inside them now :P)

Can you post some pictures so I can see what you're talking about? :)

EDIT: Make sure to capture the settings on the left in the screenshots so I can see those, too.

Edited by Arrowstar

7 minutes ago, Arrowstar said:

Can you post some pictures so I can see what you're talking about? :)

Ok using Duna's orbit copied from RVM into MA

m3o4yO4.png

same view but rotated around the Az. Note the size change to Kerbin and Duna (but not Moho, which is oddly dark)

76onopt.png

Adjusting the View Angle

t0pE58B.png

Edited by Gaiiden

9 hours ago, Gaiiden said:

Ok using Duna's orbit copied from RVM into MA

m3o4yO4.png

same view but rotated around the Az. Note the size change to Kerbin and Duna (but not Moho, which is oddly dark)

76onopt.png

Adjusting the View Angle

t0pE58B.png

Okay thanks!  Could I get a copy of the mission plan Mat file?

6 hours ago, Arrowstar said:

Okay thanks!  Could I get a copy of the mission plan Mat file?

I was a bit hasty in my description of my setup, here's a better one: copy Duna's orbit from the Rendezvous Maneuver Sequencer, paste it into the initial state in Mission Architect and then add a Coast to TA 0 with 1 revolution. Done! :)

Edited by Gaiiden

8 hours ago, Gaiiden said:

I was a bit hasty in my description of my setup, here's a better one: copy Duna's orbit from the Rendezvous Maneuver Sequencer, paste it into the initial state in Mission Architect and then add a Coast to TA 0 with 1 revolution. Done! :)

Okay, I have a fix, I'll deploy it tomorrow. :)

Arrowstar,

Not to reiterate, but as a temporary/bandaid sort of fix, would it be possible to add an extension to KSPTOT that lets it grab vessel orbits from KSP64 and send maneuver nodes to KSP64 using kRPC. Just that functionality, without the rest of the KSPTOTCONNECT stuff?  I don't know how complex it would be to do, so let me know if I'm suggesting something stupidly difficult.

Edited by dlrk

8 hours ago, dlrk said:

Arrowstar,

Not to reiterate, but as a temporary/bandaid sort of fix, would it be possible to add an extension to KSPTOT that lets it grab vessel orbits from KSP64 and send maneuver nodes to KSP64 using kRPC. Just that functionality, without the rest of the KSPTOTCONNECT stuff?  I don't know how complex it would be to do, so let me know if I'm suggesting something stupidly difficult.

I actually have a fix to the x64 problem in work thanks to @dan51. I should be able to test tonight and maybe even put out another complete pre-release tonight too. :-) 

Alright, everyone, good news: The next and hopefully final pre-release is here!  Download link: KSP TOT v1.5.1 Pre-release 9

Can I get people to look at two things?  First, please make sure that the included KSPTOTConnect plugin works in KSP 64-bit on your end.  Second, if you could just give the application, particularly Mission Architect a run through and see if anything (like Mission Animator) doesn't appear to be working as intended. 

If you find any bugs, please report them here.  My goal is to get the actual release out by Sunday.

Thanks!

KSPTOT Connect seems to be working fine, only issue I see with Mission Architect is that it won't let me set an altitude of periapsis lower bound constraint unless I also set an upper bound constraint

Edited by dlrk

56 minutes ago, dlrk said:

KSPTOT Connect seems to be working fine, only issue I see with Mission Architect is that it won't let me set an altitude of periapsis lower bound constraint unless I also set an upper bound constraint

Could not reproduce, what error message are you getting?

EDIT: And how do I reproduce the issue?

Edited by Arrowstar