Show Me Your CRAZY Landers

I'm really quite interested in lander construction because ones that look like they should work perfectly end up crashing and burning while ones that look like they couldn't get off the ground, let alone land in one piece, end up flying perfectly.

Do you choose fat stubby ones with multiple engines or narrow tall ones with single engines. Maybe choose radial engines angled away from the body even. Nukes seem the weapon of choice for long duration, efficient ones.

I just know that it's one of my favourite pastimes in KSP. Like this one I was messing with using SmartASS and Translatron to control it precisely.

Qia6qW1.png

It's something I'm looking into as a moon hopper for transport (will eventually use KAS to move cargo).

Sometimes i do like pointing 3 engines outwards, sometimes i use poodle, but like myself i go into threads like this to see some photos so there is my lander/rover combo used poodle for maneuverability, and one poodle on the rover, rover lander was off center so i had to land them both in one go.

u8zKYz3.jpg

also what is the benefit of outward pointing engines?

I've only just clicked that you have cat tracks on that lander. Thinking of going for a Thunderbird Mole look eh? :cool:

I guess it does. I'm using NovaSilisko's new Wet workshop mod for the fuel tank so I can turn the fuel into a transport bus after landing.

screenshot10.png

This is my test run of an all-purpose giant cubic lander. I'm trying to send it to Eve on a giant bedstead platform. My mission: a cube on a round trip for every planet!

If one gets stuck on the ground I'll just rename it as a colony.

• 2 weeks later...

With patience and extreme mouse control I have made a more cubic Cube Lander. Fully plated walls and it doesn't peel apart on the launchpad. However, flying a cube has a few minor control issues. For example:

screenshot42.png

And here's a another craaaazy lander. By crazy I mean stupidly top heavy and overloaded. It began as a huge stack of lights and batteries, but soon I realized its true form. BEHOLD THE FUNKY BOY!

screenshot41.png

It's a true UFO. Undeniably Funky, Ohhhhh! (I will find a mod with more colorful lights in the meantime)

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe not craay-zee, but unconventional hanging module types.

lander1.jpg

crasher1.jpg

lander3.jpg

lander2.jpg

Most builds of this type have fully independent emergency seperation abilities, shown above.

It's fully possible to safe land the full-up lander, and seperate the module to land in parallel :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.