Help with video card.

M83

I figure this is the right place to drop this. So tonight I decided to download this free movie through FrostWire called 'The Cosmonaut'. The file is about 4GB, and for some reason when I try to play it through Windows Media Player, I get 2 error messages - 1 telling me that I don't have enough memory, and the other saying there's a problem with my video card. My laptop has a AMD Radeon HD 6310 graphics card.

Anyone know what the issue might be?

It'll probably be obvious once I see it, but what's VLC?

Edit: I also updated the driver.

the VideoLan media player. It plays all kinds of videos that Windows Media Player won't touch. It's also Free (with a capital F).

Edit:

Something else I've thought of.. you're saying the file is 4GB? You sure the file extension isn't .iso or something? If so, it's a disk image and I doubt any media player will play it straight away. You'd need to burn a file like that to disk, or use a program like MagicISO to make your computer think it's a disk drive. If it IS a disk image of a DVD, then once MagicISO mounts it, VLC (or Media Player) should be able to play it as if you're playing a DVD inserted into the fake drive that MagicISO sets up.

Of course if it's just a honking great movie file, then VLC should cope with it as-is.

Edited by technicalfool

It's an .mp4 file, which I learned has some spotty support with Media Player. I've decided to just convert it to a .wmv and call it a night, many thanks for your assistance.

It's an .mp4 file, which I learned has some spotty support with Media Player. I've decided to just convert it to a .wmv and call it a night, many thanks for your assistance.

Ah, no worries.

Still, I really would recommend getting VLC anyway. It's like a video swiss army knife, and means you don't need to recompress video and lose quality while transcoding it to something the rather "special" Windows Media Player will understand.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.