Buran arms and oscillation

LawnDartLeo

Moderator, please move this thread as appropriate. I have searched but am unable to find a specific thread related to the matter...

... Anyhow.

Space arms, specifically the one on the Buran shuttle. I cannot utilize them at all for fear of ripping my shuttle to pieces. Any time I move anything remotely out of the cargo bay, oscillation starts up and builds to the point of destruction. It makes no difference how small the attached part is, once I start lifting it clear of the bay, all hell breaks loose. I am using the slow movement toggle.

What am I doing wrong? This issue makes an otherwise very cool addon completely useless.

:(

I have the same issue... No SAS activated. I found a little workaround. When things start oscillating... time warp for a fraction of second and a lot of quick save. For now i only tried Buran, soon I will try with canadarm to see if it's the same thing.

The arms are just super buggy. Physics like that in KSP never seemed to work correctly. Although BobCat and Romfarer have mentioned that when you do use the arms make sure that CAPSLOCK is on, and pre plan your movements with the arm going for as long as you can, instead of abruptly stopping and starting again. :)

SAS on and off on the shuttle. Certainly NOT on on some little truss assembly.

I have caps lock on for slow movement, I have tried the keep it moving approach but as soon as the item being transferred moves any appreciable distance away from the CG of the shuttle it all goes pear shaped.

I'm thinking its lots of docking rings and mules to assemble it all in space.

I've used them on my shuttle and had no issues. My shuttle has a reaction wheel and mechjeb and I usually set it to track prograde. There is some momentum changing along the arm with payloads, but this is to be expected. Using the fine movements tends to eliminate the rebound effect.

Biggest thing though, is that the craft with the arm needs to have sufficient mass to serve as a solid base for the arm. I could see how lighter crafts would have issued due to changing CoM while the arm/payload are in use.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.