[Abandoned] LightSwitch Interface

Razchek

Thank you HoY. I have a few more innovative mods to get up and running so I won't stop anytime soon. :P

The downfall to me having a lot of nice little projects is progression is slow. As long as the community is patient they will continue to get some awesome mods from me though. :wink:

My main aim with the plugins I write are for expansion, extra functionality and a more immersive user experience.

Occasionally though, I'll just throw a mod out there for someone who asks for it. :D

--

On topic:

I will be releasing an update for this plugin in the next few days. Keep an eye out! :cool:

Also keep watching the KerbTown mod if you're so inclined. I'd really like to get that out sooner rather than later.

I'm having a bit of a problem. It displays Enviornment perfectly, but for all of the resources it simply says: "Temporary"

Can anyone help?

MenuItems
{
Label
{
Text = Vessel Status
Color = 0,0,0
}
Label
{
Text
{
Binding = Resource
Name = ElectricCharge
}
Prefix = Electricity:_
Suffix = _units
Color = 0,0,0.6
}
Label
{
Text
{
Binding = Resource
Name = LiquidFuel
}
Prefix = Fuel:_
Suffix = _units
Color = 0,5,0.7
}
Label
{
Text
{
Binding = Environment
Type = LatAndLong
}
Color32 = 255,70,0
}
Label
{
Text
{
Binding = Environment
Type = Acceleration
}
Color32 = 255,70,0
}
}

I'm having a bit of a problem. It displays Enviornment perfectly, but for all of the resources it simply says: "Temporary"

Can anyone help?

MenuItems
{
Label
{
Text = Vessel Status
Color = 0,0,0
}
Label
{
Text
{
Binding = Resource
Name = ElectricCharge
}
Prefix = Electricity:_
Suffix = _units
Color = 0,0,0.6
}
Label
{
Text
{
Binding = Resource
Name = LiquidFuel
}
Prefix = Fuel:_
Suffix = _units
Color = 0,5,0.7
}
Label
{
Text
{
Binding = Environment
Type = LatAndLong
}
Color32 = 255,70,0
}
Label
{
Text
{
Binding = Environment
Type = Acceleration
}
Color32 = 255,70,0
}
}

I think it might have something to do with your color values for ElectricCharge and LiquidFuel. I think that if you use "color =" values you need to use numbers between 0 and 1, and If you use "color32 =" values you use integers between 0 and 255. I would just try using color32 values similar to the ones you are using in the Environment labels and see if that works.

Also, if you have none of the resource in question on board it will show up as Temporary too.

~snip~

I have a question for people using this mod.

Should I add a flag for the interface to follow the camera, so that it is always facing 'you'?

That would be great. At times it can be hard to move the camera to a position to see the interface properly, especially if you have placed the LSGUI part very far from the CoM.

~snip~

On topic:

I will be releasing an update for this plugin in the next few days. Keep an eye out! :cool:

Also keep watching the KerbTown mod if you're so inclined. I'd really like to get that out sooner rather than later.

I check your threads every day. You are doing unbelievably cool things with your mods. I am especially keen for the changes you showed for this (LightSwitch Interface).

Sorry about the delay fellows.

Fear not, I haven't ditched this project - I am currently working on something that will hopefully push this mod straight through to the first true beta for pre-release testing.

If you have questions, please keep posting - otherwise hold tight until the release. <3

Updates will continue on my other projects as necessary.

I will hopefully release my gravity sphere mod in the next couple of weeks. Essentially artificial gravity when in the "Sphere of Influence".

However.. I'm having trouble calculating relative force to the center of gravity (which is dynamic depending on the active KerbalEVA vessel position and the current celestial SOI and gee's felt).

Math was never a hard studied topic for me. :confused:

Edited by Razchek
Fixed my punctuation. :3

Certainly. :)

What are you stuck on?

Q. Video file format?

A. Easiest approach for me is to use VLC to convert the video.

1. Open VLC.
2. Press CTRL+R.
3. Click "Add..." and add your video file.
4. Click "Convert / Save".
5. Click "Browse" and select the destination for your file (use the extension ".ogg").
6. Change the Profile to "Video - Theora + Vorbis (OGG)".
7. (Optional) Click the tools icon next to the combo box to change settings (e.g. video bitrate). Then click Save.
8. Click "Start" and that's your converted video.

Or was it more so how to write the config for it?

MenuItems
{
Label
{
Text = Movie Player
Color = 0,0,0
}
Button
{
Text = Play ze Movie
Type = Movie
Target = c:\MyMovie.ogg
}
}

I have to admit, this looks really awesome. It seems that for the average end user, this isn't super handy ATM, but for a DIYer who wants to make crazy things, this suits them perfectly.

I happen to fall into that second group.

As with most utility type mods like this, I always think they would be better "partless" like the Crew Manifest and Tac Fuel Balancer, so that you do not have to add an extra part onto the ship and you can access the mod via a button somewhere on the flight screen.

As with most utility type mods like this, I always think they would be better "partless" like the Crew Manifest and Tac Fuel Balancer, so that you do not have to add an extra part onto the ship and you can access the mod via a button somewhere on the flight screen.

I think you're missing the whole point of this particular mod lol.

Could you add possibility to show other informations (maybe make possible to select them in CFG?) Like Apoapsis/Periapsis, horizontal/vertical speed, inclination and eccentrity of orbit etc. ?

Anyway great mod.

About

LightSwitch Interface is a 3D in-scene graphical user interface for controlling animations, events and other actions.

The idea is to have a 'part' on the side of your vessel that will project a 3D interface into the empty space near by.

On this projected screen a menu consisting of objects (at this stage, text menu buttons and labels only) that can read information or control parts within your vessel construction.

The controls on the projected interface allow you to do a variety of things; worth mentioning would be play movies from your local system*, toggle animations on any part, invoke methods and more!

Current Features

• Multiple menu items (currently two types: text label & text button)
  • Animation control on any part connected to the vessel
  • The ability to interact with any KSPEvent or KSPAction contained within the vessel the part is attached to.
  • Collision triggered events (e.g. area-triggers) (play a movie when you get to a stranded vessel? ;)
  • Play any video on your local system (internet streaming is available (video format is OGG Vorbis for local/web as per unity's restriction - more on this later)
  • Resource indicators.
  • Location indicators (latitude, longitude).
  • All four environment science indicators are available to use (without having the part attached thanks to advanced technology built into the projector).

I thought the point was to access all the animation controls for the whole ship from one menu... is that not what it does?

This mod provides a 3D interface on your vessels. Not a 2D interface on your screen.

What you put on that interface is up to you.

Could you add possibility to show other informations (maybe make possible to select them in CFG?) Like Apoapsis/Periapsis, horizontal/vertical speed, inclination and eccentrity of orbit etc. ?

Anyway great mod.

That's a good suggestion. I will add that to the todo list. :D

Edited by Razchek

This mod provides a 3D interface on your vessels. Not a 2D interface on your screen.

What you put on that interface is up to you.

I went and watched the other trailers. I get it now. The possibilities for this are pretty amazing, particularly the area triggered video.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.