How to build non-asparagus heavy lifter

Somehow my first rockets were the most successful and reliable - or maybe my payload just moved to extravaganza ...

Additionally my rockets alone can to get so heavy, that they seem to hover for half a second after "lift off" and burn through the fuel without getting high enough to attain orbit.

I prefer staged rockets as it is mindnumbing enough to sort out separators and serpratrons and engines ... when there are only enough of them.

The game does not always sort them well into the staging column.

But I actually thought about assembling my space station in one piece on the ground and building a broad flat lifter around it ...

NASA would sell their soul for KSP's plumbers.

Not sure they'd go quite that far :-)

Truth of the matter is that asparagus staging wouldn't be as effective in real life as in KSP, and not because of aerodynamics. KSP planets are smaller and closer together than those in this universe so that we don't have to spend as much time achieving orbit or landing. However, in order to have the smaller distances not make everything easy-mode, the TWR of the engines are much lower than real engines, and the dry mass of fuel tanks are higher than similar real fuel tanks. Since asparagus staging is all about emptying and discarding fuel tanks and the engines that lifted those fuel tanks as fast as possible, the win wouldn't be as large with realistic fuel tanks and engines.

Really, asparagus staging is the natural reaction to less efficient fuel tanks and engines, combined with the magic fuel lines. Assuming that all the technical issues could be worked out (just what all the technical issues are is an entirely separate topic), asparagus staging might see usage in our reality, but it wouldn't be as world changing as it is in KSP.

Also, it's too early to say that asparagus staging will never be used in reality. The cross-feeding that the Falcon Heavy will be using was first envisioned in 1947, and I think the Falcon Heavy is the first common rocket that will actually use it. Likewise, asparagus staging wasn't invented here, but it's going to be just an idea on paper until the issues get worked out for us, unlike our kerbals.

You could always use the lifter that Bobcat put together for the H.O.M.E mod. Jool V Heavy launcher is its name and you can find it on the Spaceport. It certainly has the capacity to lift those home units.

• 6 months later...

Try KW rocketry mod. Adds 3 meter parts to game, as well as some new high-power engines. My first KW rocketry rocket flew far beyond Jool.

@arq: People don't like asparagus staging for one simple reason: it looks REALLY obsolete and monstrous. Also may cause some serious lag on laptops.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.