Operation New Dawn [Mission Log]

Odo

When I released the skycrane it just spazzed the crap out, and like spawned in tentacles and lashed around and then imploded my rover. Try number 2! I dont quicksave so this might be a while :3

Two RTGs stuck on the probe body. :) More than enough for those science instruments, the light and the camera to run at the same time.

I dont see them.. did you clip them through or something? Or am I just missing something really obvious here

I noticed the lack of good pictures on my post quite... disturbing. So here's a couple more of them, if you want to replicate them:

Mk Twain:

(Close-up from behind)

yonr4Vt.jpg

(Scale, compared to an engineer. Both at ground level)

Lrz1RNB.jpg

NOVA:

(Two close shots [it was made using the Ordan industries telescopes])

cpGP8pr.png

jvF5e7T.png

(Scale, compared to an engineer. Both at ground level)

jg112rB.png

The first picture has a Ti-84 calculator on it 0_0

Yeah, I clipped the two RTGs on the probe body, kinda cheaty... I know.

The calculator is from the Protractor mod, if you want to download it. :)

For the delivery systen I had to think outside of the box, because it doesn't have any attachment points on top. I went for an overly complicated and dangerous structure with parachutes and landing gear, so the rover can decouple from it when it's safely on the ground. I had to turn my computer off because it's 12:30 AM now :P

Tomorrow I'll post some screenshots of a "simulated" re-entry, descent and landing on kerbin so you can see how I will do it on Duna when I'm done tweaking the design... But until then, I'm astropapi1, fly safe! :)

Yeah, I clipped the two RTGs on the probe body, kinda cheaty... I know.

The calculator is from the Protractor mod, if you want to download it. :)

For the delivery systen I had to think outside of the box, because it doesn't have any attachment points on top. I went for an overly complicated and dangerous structure with parachutes and landing gear, so the rover can decouple from it when it's safely on the ground. I had to turn my computer off because it's 12:30 AM now :P

Tomorrow I'll post some screenshots of a "simulated" re-entry, descent and landing on kerbin so you can see how I will do it on Duna when I'm done tweaking the design... But until then, I'm astropapi1, fly safe! :)

Cya. Im for some reasonf ailing horribly at getting an encounter with DUna. have been trying for 4 hours.

On the date 6/23/2013 Entity Space Exploration successfully landed an unmanned rover named Journey on Duna. Journey transmitted for 8 minutes, and then fell silent. The following images and messages were transmitted back to KSC before we lost contact with Journey:

357ghlu.jpg

Parachutes deployed...

Heatshield holding...

Anomaly detected...

5alx1i.jpg

Heat shield ejected...

fu9yj8.jpg

Successful landing...

sy19io.jpg

Decoupled Skycrane...

Systems check...

Thermometer functional...

Barometer functional...

Camera functional...

Emergency Solarpanel functional...

Motor functional...

6 wheels functional...

System check complete...

All systems ago...

amsk1f.jpg

Investigating anomaly...

2m6aekk.jpg

2s92lp3.jpg

Approaching Anomaly...

3168b2r.jpg

2metxxx.jpg

2rc6gkx.jpg

Movement Dete- *static* emergn-*static*-powe- *static*

2u4kcp5.jpg

Shutti-*static* dow-*static*

After the 4th distorted transmission we lost all contact.

Mission outcome: Unknown

Mission conclusion: We are not alone.

Isn't it a bit early to conclude that we're not alone? :P

Why would it be too early? We lost a rover after it went too close to a statue or monument of sorts built on a planet that no Kerbal has ever been to. It had to have been made by other intelligent life!

Hey, if you want, I can send you the Mk Twain rover design. :)

You'll need:

-B9: Just for some little lights on the side of the rover.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/25241-0-20-2-B9-Aerospace-Pack-R3-2-New-pods-IVAs-engines-fuselages-structures

-The Lazor Cam: Pretty obvious, heh? :)

-Protractor: Just for looks, it adds the Ti-84 on it's back.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/21544-20-Protractor-Rendez-Plugin-v2-4-1-5-22-13?highlight=Protractor+rendezvous

I can also upload the NOVA 2 telescope, it only needs the small telescope lens from the Ordan Industries Telescope Pack:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/24639-0-20-0-162-Ordan-Industries-Telescope!-Last-Updated-May-27-2013

Hey, if you want, I can send you the Mk Twain rover design. :)

You'll need:

-B9: Just for some little lights on the side of the rover.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/25241-0-20-2-B9-Aerospace-Pack-R3-2-New-pods-IVAs-engines-fuselages-structures

-The Lazor Cam: Pretty obvious, heh? :)

-Protractor: Just for looks, it adds the Ti-84 on it's back.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/21544-20-Protractor-Rendez-Plugin-v2-4-1-5-22-13?highlight=Protractor+rendezvous

I can also upload the NOVA 2 telescope, it only needs the small telescope lens from the Ordan Industries Telescope Pack:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/24639-0-20-0-162-Ordan-Industries-Telescope!-Last-Updated-May-27-2013

Nah you dont have to :) I really like them but I dislike using other peoples crafts, cause then I cant have pride in them :(

Nah you dont have to :) I really like them but I dislike using other peoples crafts, cause then I cant have pride in them :(

K. :) I'll post some shots of my (quite primitive) landing system for the Mk Twain rovers once I get to my main gaming rig, I'm on my phone now.

K. :) I'll post some shots of my (quite primitive) landing system for the Mk Twain rovers once I get to my main gaming rig, I'm on my phone now.

Haha Im on my phone too :D

Aww man, my face of Duna is underground.

Or did they fix that in the new version?

Scramble the rovers!

You have to have your graphics on the highest setting to see the face. same goes for the northpole ufo :( also I wasn't trying to land near the face, I didn't even know where it was, as I've never explored duna till now. so I just got incredibly lucky haha. I was pretty much shouting "NO WAY" When I saw it under me.

Turns out the reason Journey went offline was because KSC forgot to pay the power bill. We're back online exploring the surface of Duna!

34e5hlt.jpg

The Dawn Mk II satellite orbiting Duna has gotten a picture of the face from orbit:

2hwfvhk.jpg

Our scientists have come to the conclusion its just a lighting effect caused by shadows.. ;)

k0olyp.jpg

A lovely view of Ike here on a Duna Mountain.

2dgm539.jpg

The first night on Duna has fallen, and Journey has gone star gazing.

Edited by Odo

Them power bills, always screwing important government rovers on Mars...

:P

I know. Who needs em.

I think my next mission is going to be sending a probe plane to Duna :D A glider with a nuclear engine. It'll cover much more ground much faster then Journey. And then after that, maybe, a MANNED MISSION :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.