All Ship Controls Stop Working?

I'm trying to get to Duna for the 1st time but the same thing keeps happening every time I try. A few minutes before I want to do my ejection burn, all the ship's controls suddenly just stop working. WASD, throttle, RCS, SAS all totally dead. Thus, I usually can't get the ship aimed at the ejection burn target and even if I manage that before the controls go dead, I can't run the motor. As a result, I keep missing all my windows.

The strange thing is that this loss of control affects both me and MechJeb. It happens to us both whether I do all the flying, MechJeb does all the flying, or we take turns. For instance, MechJeb might be in the process of aiming for the ejection burn when you can see the RCS suddenly stop working and the ship just keeps turning like it was when this happened and never stops on the target marker.

RCS still has fuel and its light on the navball is still on. Time warp is 1x. No error messages of any kind appear. And the game isn't locked up because everything EXCEPT ship controls still works. I can go to the map and set maneuver nodes for the ship. I can switch to other ships and fly them perfectly fine. It's like Kod doesn't want me to leave Kerbin or something.

As noted, I have MechJeb (2.0.8.0). I also have the latest version of Kerbal Engineer (v0.6.0.3) and am using the dual-purpose part that works both in the VAB and on the ground. The ship contains parts from KWR and ISA MapSat. I have FAR.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help. That does seem indeed to have been the problem. I took off the Kerbal Engineer thinking maybe it was conflicting with MechJeb but that didn't do it, so I added a RTG and now have a complete map of Duna. Yay!

But this is very strange to me. The MapSat I'm using is a standard design which I've successfully put in orbit at Kerbin and Mun before this. It's never run out of power before, so why did it do so this time? And I'm talking not even making a complete orbit of Kerbin prior to ejection because I was right on a window and kept launching, getting in orbit, having them die, and trying again. The ones that went to Minmus and Mun were in orbit the same amount of time and didn't die. So at first I didn't think this could be electric.

Anyway, question answered and thanks again.

On your earlier launches you probably deployed your solar panels before you ran out of juice. Nothing to be ashamed about. It's a classic mistake everybody makes at least once during their Kerbal career.

Don't worry about this OP... We ALL do this and curse the game for the bug that turns out to be our own problems.

I always, ALWAYS put a single flat solar panel on all my craft just for this very purpose. It gives me enough juice to bootstrap my main solar panels open. We live and learn.

• 3 years later...

Ran into this issue using unmanned ship. I had power and fuel.. Took forever for me to find out what was wrong... Turns out,  I went outside communication range. Had to launch probes to use as communication relays..

Edited by Erode1

Note that this conversation is over three years old; the original question is long since answered, the people involved have long since moved on, and in any case, @Erode1 , the problem you ran into (lack of comms) didn't even exist when the thread was posted, since that feature didn't exist in the game then. :wink: 

Locking the thread to prevent further confusion. If anyone wants to discuss a topic like this, you can just spin up a new thread.