SciFi Mods - Legacy mk1 Pod

StarVision

What ship do you want most? (vote for your top 3)  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What ship do you want most? (vote for your top 3)

• Original Enterprise Shuttle + Shuttlebay
    • Enterprise D redo
    • Stargazer bridge redo
    • Other Enterprises (Refit, A, B, C, E)
    • Defiant
    • Voyager
    • Borg Cube
    • Red Dwarf and/or Starbug
    • Retro Stuff (UFO)
    • Starbases?

Question: Is the USS Voyager Warp Capable? (or another way, If I happen to have KSP Interstellar installed will Voayger make use of the Warp Drive?)

not at the moment afaik...

but you can copy the warp drive's module code in the cfg file to get it to work..

best is to reference the config of the USS-1701 - there it should work..

in my understanding, it is planned to have KSPI warp when it's finished..

Edited by philotical

not at the mment afaik...

but you can copy the warp drive's module code in the cfg file to get it to work..

best is to reference the config of the USS-1701 - there it should work..

in my understanding, it is planned to have KSPI warp when it's finished..

Thanks, I will have to take a look when I'm ready to use it.

Voyager v0.3 is up. This should fix some lag-related problems. It also adds a much newer version of the bridge, tactical systems, tractor beams, and some basic shuttles for testing.

Download

Have fun and remember to submit bug reports!

The transporter system is experimental and a bit buggy, and I know you can see through the ship when clicking on Voyager's viewscreen, but report everything else!

Excellent will check it out, well finally got my gear going and I started to mod again, thx to u guys that inspired me to start up again, will only do stuff here and there for fun. but can`t wait to try this new update and will let u guys know.

here some impressions from current dev version

allready a little ahead of the released one above..

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Considering the possibility, that I can add custom science to the tricorder, who want's to write science reports/texts for it?

volunteers?

I'm not good at this kind of stuff.. - if I do it, they will be boring and generic..

In case anyone is intrested, I've started with a Impulse Drive Wiki

https://github.com/philotical/StarTrekImpulseDrive/wiki

it attempts to explain all the features..

Since english isn't my native and I'm a sloppy speed-writer, you are all welcome to go and correct my typos..

:-P

did I mention that the transporter is finished and works like a charm - well, it's a kerbal charm ofcourse..

all 4 modes have ben tested..

I only had 2 kind of transporter accidents..

1. Kerbal gone - since Kerbals have not invented the "transporter Buffer" there is nothing that can be done in these cases..

chance of occurance 10%

final result: fatal - or maybe trapped in subspace - no one knows for sure..

2. Kerbal douplicated - reminds me of Thommas W. Riker - well - what shall I say - if the kerbal appears on both ends, than you have one more..

The second one seems a bit comatoes usually - no right click menu and stuff but you know kerbals they recover soon.

chance of occurance: 1%

Final result: Now you have William T. Kerman AND Thommas W. Kerman..

I'm glad that even my transporter accidents follow the canon hahaha

I know v0.3 transporter is just experimental and wasn't finished at all - but still..

Some of you might have realized it by now - Voyager v0.3 can't beam kerbals because it has no hatch..

That issue got fixed this afternoon and the fix, I guess, will also soon be released..

The transporter checks now for hatches, if none is present one will be created on the fly..

Additionally I found out how to add crewcompartments to a ship by script - so all impulse vessels will now have a realistic amount of empty crew quartiers for passengers..

Tricorder LCARS-LinkUp got finished and polished..

Transporter has a new mode "Beam Kerbal To Space" for orbital EVA

The Subsystem GUI got polished and made a little easier to read - padding margin, scroll bars etc..

haha good 1 phil, should be nice to teleport kerbal and can u teleport other stuff?

starvision, how much is the voyager`s vertices?

k, first test I was ssooo smooth, fix up the leak, nice, but after fooling around it started to lag a bit, not as bad as last time, I started up engine and moved the speed to 3/4 and it fix the lag , weird, also the speed setting window on the left[on the impulse drive] didn`t want to close and when I took off the speed I fell like a rocket lol, was funy.

my god Starvision what u do to the shuttle, they are amazing to drive, will prob use the cfg on my ships, just amazing, I might put the voyager smaller, as I think it drives better, more control, not sure if smaller more control??. but not by much as I want to fit a spaceship in the cargo bay, this is looking really good.

that impulse drive makes it I can make a battleship and make it go the way I want it to go.

starvision any tut. for animating a door, having a hard time to animate that door??

2nd test impulse drive is lagging for some reason when I click on shut down impulse drive on the impulse screen , then I right click it to activate it again and I get lag up to 70-80 m high going up, it stops lagging. I can live with it, haven`t gone into space to test it yet.

Edited by mjy

This might be a bad request, but could you make RPM support for the plugin? That would be awesome.

It was suggested allready some pages back..

it is on the list of stuff we have to check out..

neither starvision nor me have experiance with it..

but we booth said back than it's worth a try..

it's just not the next thing on the list if you know what I mean :-)

haha good 1 phil, should be nice to teleport kerbal and can u teleport other stuff?

k, first test I was ssooo smooth, fix up the leak, nice, but after fooling around it started to lag a bit, not as bad as last time, I started up engine and moved the speed to 3/4 and it fix the lag , weird, also the speed setting window on the left[on the impulse drive] didn`t want to close and when I took off the speed I fell like a rocket lol, was funy.

my god Starvision what u do to the shuttle, they are amazing to drive, will prob use the cfg on my ships, just amazing, I might put the voyager smaller, as I think it drives better, more control, not sure if smaller more control??. but not by much as I want to fit a spaceship in the cargo bay, this is looking really good.

that impulse drive makes it I can make a battleship and make it go the way I want it to go.

starvision any tut. for animating a door, having a hard time to animate that door??

2nd test impulse drive is lagging for some reason when I click on shut down impulse drive on the impulse screen , then I right click it to activate it again and I get lag up to 70-80 m high going up, it stops lagging. I can live with it, haven`t gone into space to test it yet.

no - teleport only for kerbals right now..

where would you like to beam what?

currently it beams kerbals into the ship - but KSP does not offer space for other stuff..

You will be able to tranfer resources - but not with transporter though..

Make suggestions - if I can do it, I might consider it..

What to beam where is the question..

I would wait with making voyager smaller - she will get a strong RCS system - so the slow reaction is due to missing systems..

The size is perfect as it is..

animation tuts..

I got a link for you:

Blender Animation Tutorials

Keep working on the battle ship - I'm looking forward to it :-)

Lag:

I can fix leak, I can not fix lag..

sorry..

lag is either a bad code, wich it isn't (*) or it's from too much physics, too much graphics, too much KSP and too much Unity at the same time..

I know your PC specs are good - but still - I can't fix lag..

The plugin has a lot of calculations to do - so that will stay.. - but that is not the issue here

* Because - you say altitude and speed are fixing the lag?

That can't be related to the code - if that is the case, than the lag is not caused by my plugin in the first place..

Think about it - if you gain altitude or speed, my plugin is working - if you stay hovering above KSC, my plugin does nothing..

So if lag goes way, if you start using the plugin, the plugin can't be the cause..

As I said once - around KSC, if I only turn the camera, it calculates a different model angle with 7 reflection of lights and shadows and antialiasing of the KSC buildings and I have a short lag spike..

this is KSP/Unity related - not Impulse..

you may of course correct me if I'm wrong.. - but in my understanding this does not happen equally if you are over the desert continent or badlands..

only at KSC, Island runway, alternative KSC etc..

I say it's those models.. - test it, you will see it's the location..

However:

You said after a while it got laggy again - let me guess - you activated the transporter panel a lot..

The planet scanner leaks big time in v0.3!

Only if you have transporter console open and set to ShipToEVA it will leak - much worse as it did last time..

it's that camera screen.. and it's only in v0.3 - my dev version has this leak fixed as well - well 90% - still needs work..

but the memory is loading full and after 2 or 3 minutes of planet scanner - bye bye KSP..

So that IS caused by my plugin but it's only in the experimental version..

Don't use the transporter if you intend to fly for a long time is the solution I can offer..

But good news..

StarVision and I agreed that the plugin will be updated when I have something new - so you will get new links to download the version on a reguarly base..

Then simply overwrite the Impulse folder and you are done.

Does that sound good?

So you will have a (almost) non leaking, working transporter before the weekend is over

Also included will be the tricorder and crew compartments..

>speed setting window on the left

This will stay open until you release the option "Hold Speed" - you can't close it with the close button.

you fell from the sky?

hmm - strange - can you tell me how to recreate that?

v0.3 does this after transporter was working - but with Hold Speed I never had that..

as for lag , not sure, setting are low, everything works good with all 10000 mods I got on, I test it w/o mods also, I open and closed the impulse a few times, but for me its not much, I should check the limit of ram, it might be the cause. as I figured I had enough? as for falling like a rock, man I fell really fast, like 15 k to the ground in like seconds,

I had the speed window open where u can set it, but it didn`t want to close again, prob me not knowing how to use it, then I put the speed to 0, really didn`t like it , lol, wasn`t lagging there :). but I`m just using a mesh I made, no engine,etc as the impulse works good, nothing much I had , but I didn`t play a lot with it, just activate and deactivate the impulse drive. will let u know if I find anything else.

as for voyager size I think it will stay as it is.it can be the size u want, easy cfg fix.

ty phil for the tut, will look it up

Um question. is the voyager going to be life size. like the largest enterprise one?

Edit: yes, sure..

I stand corrected - see below..

I added lot's of pages to the wiki today..

it's worth a look if you don't know allready all..

Beta 4 - Transporter is in final testing Phase..

hey star vision - I love that docking port - you are soo fast with texturing..

Edited by philotical

around 4k tris, and from what I remember one of the stock engine is around 1.5k.
Um question. is the voyager going to be life size. like the largest enterprise one?

Probably. I may scale it down a bit to fit Kerbal sizes.

Here's the radial docking port part I was working on:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

nice teleport, the pluging is getting very interesting. it will be very nice to load ship in the cargo bay and resourses box, etc, + u get to beam kerbals directly to ship, makes it even nicer.

ty starvision, was wondering for the polycount. I haven`t tried to dock the voyager with anything in space yet, rl, but I got time this weekend to fool around with stuff

question is, can we add a docking port to voyager? or is there a place to fit 1? as I might make a few things for voyager or enterprise along the way

Nice work as always StarVision, I know just where to put that new docking port. There is a new mod on the forum that adds a 1200m Stanford Torus Wheel, and equally large modules for it. Will there be a built in docking port for the next release? Link for the Stanford Torus: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/84106-0-23-5-Stanford-Torus-0-1

nice teleport, the pluging is getting very interesting. it will be very nice to load ship in the cargo bay and resourses box, etc, + u get to beam kerbals directly to ship, makes it even nicer.

ty starvision, was wondering for the polycount. I haven`t tried to dock the voyager with anything in space yet, rl, but I got time this weekend to fool around with stuff

question is, can we add a docking port to voyager? or is there a place to fit 1? as I might make a few things for voyager or enterprise along the way

Nice work as always StarVision, I know just where to put that new docking port. There is a new mod on the forum that adds a 1200m Stanford Torus Wheel, and equally large modules for it. Will there be a built in docking port for the next release? Link for the Stanford Torus: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/84106-0-23-5-Stanford-Torus-0-1

Currently You are required to put the docking ports on yourself, so they can also be used with other mods. There is no plan for a built-in port, as you can only have one per part.

Because I'm going on Holiday for the next week, starting tomorrow, I've updated Voyager. The lights are much crisper (except for one distorted bit, I'll fix it eventually). I've also included the docking port and the Borg Cube I made a while ago. The way the download works is a bit different too. You'll have to download both the model and the plugin separately. This avoids any problems with having an outdated plugin in the model download. Also make sure to report any bugs as soon as you find them, because I'll be gone tomorrow and will be incapable of fixing them.

the download link

has

https://dl.dropboxuserco ntent.com/u/27031094/Alphas/Vouager%20-%20v0.4.zip (doesn't work)

instead of

https://dl.dropboxuserco ntent.com/u/27031094/Alphas/Voyager%20-%20v0.4.zip (works)

thank's - just wanted to report the same finding..

starvision is allready offline - but I told him in a PM..

hopefully he'll correct it before he leaves..

the download link

has

https://dl.dropboxuserco ntent.com/u/27031094/Alphas/Vouager%20-%20v0.4.zip (doesn't work)

instead of

https://dl.dropboxuserco ntent.com/u/27031094/Alphas/Voyager%20-%20v0.4.zip (works)

thank's - just wanted to report the same finding..

starvision is allready offline - but I told him in a PM..

hopefully he'll correct it before he leaves..

It's fixed. I'm not really sure why that happened. I remember seeing that but I guess I never fixed it.

Anyways, I'll take my shore leave now. Back in a week.

k, another test with the .3,impulse drives good , then when I click it off it starts to lag, I check my ram is at 2900, it crash the game at 3500, as it starts to lag at the point.

I`m sure its a pain to hear me. but its what I got, do u want me to pm u with the stuff or write it here, testing it because I`m testing a bunch of meshes I made

its begain to lag when I open close the activate from the impulse screen and not right click the ship, but I have to right click the ship to start it , as u need to deactivate the impulse to save the game.

next test I made was made a box and added my enterprise shuttle in it, just a freeware[testing unity], making a bunch of stuff for testing, don`t want to make a big ship w/o knowing how to make a few things first[unity mostly], so my box was all crazy driving it with the shuttle lose in it lol, no kerbal died making the test :), so added a docking port

on the shuttle and the box and it did wonders. the thing we need is a anchor on the ship, as it floats up from the start[cfg?] anyway I can use infernal robotics for the anchor

but this is a breakthrough for me with that impulse, as it was similar as the air bags, but much much better, as u got better control. and I can finally make a battleship, it will be

deadelus from stargate, got it started, but I am testing the impulse and some new meshes

will use it no matter what, a bit of lag for me won`t stop me from using it, not sure why I got lag from it, will just be carful to turn off the impulse. will try it with a new load up game to see. lots of fun with it. reason I`m doing the deadelus.

k, another test with the .3,impulse drives good , then when I click it off it starts to lag, I check my ram is at 2900, it crash the game at 3500, as it starts to lag at the point.

I`m sure its a pain to hear me. but its what I got, do u want me to pm u with the stuff or write it here, testing it because I`m testing a bunch of meshes I made

Yes here please, post them here - but if you test with other models, I can't test those models so your report is just a waste of your time..

How shall I know if your model is 300Mb or not - honestly - I got enough work as it is - so I don't even care..

So please only report stuff you have with one of the shuttles - Also Voyager is not very helpfull at the moment, since it is MUCH larger in file size , uses tons of audio and is changing constantly..

The shuttles are the best test objects if you want to help me..

thanks..

its begain to lag when I open close the activatefrom the impulse screen and not right click the ship, but I have to right click the ship to start it , as u need to deactivate the impulse to save the game.

I don't understand - your english isn't better than mine if you know what I mean - you clicked a button that you cannot click (there is no "activate" on the impulse screen) but lag, you only have if you don't click that button?

Additionally - if you close my plugin, lag starts? - Can you give me a reason why this is related to my plugin in your opinion?

I can't follow - please elaborate and have merci with me - I can't read your mind - try to be as precise as possible or maybe google translate can help us..

What is your nativ language, if I may ask?

I speak several languages - maybe we find a better solution than english..

However - I never deactivate Impulse to save..

- there is a make slow to save function - admittedly not as stable as it should..

See here in Wiki: https://github.com/philotical/StarTrekImpulseDrive/wiki/Function-Panel#make-slow-to-save

- second, what I allways do - I just pull my ship to the ground (click on down) until it stopps moving - then I can change scene and the game will save..

Try it - it works very well..

In orbit, mostly it does not work - so, if you ment there, I know and you are right - but on the ground this is a good alternative that saves one right click..

Still - I didn't understand the rest of your report - sorry..

next test I made was made a box and added my enterprise shuttle in it, just a freeware[testing unity], making a bunch of stuff for testing, don`t want to make a big ship w/o knowing how to make a few things first[unity mostly], so my box was all crazy driving it with the shuttle lose in it lol, no kerbal died making the test :), so added a docking port

on the shuttle and the box and it did wonders. the thing we need is a anchor on the ship, as it floats up from the start[cfg?] anyway I can use infernal robotics for the anchor

no, not CFG - just "Full Halt" - also no anchor needed - just "Full Halt"

I'm not sure whyt it does this sometimes - the shuttle never do, voyager almost all the time - I guess it's the way KSP places objects on the runway..

mostly they are a bit to low (inside the runway) and when the physics starts, they get pushed out of the ground - since voyager is (with impulse) weight less like in "no gravity", this from KSP induced movement will not stop until you hit full halt.

So, if I'm right and this is the cause, this will not be fixed, since I can't change KSPs behavioure there..

But that is why I implemented the full halt in the first place - the thought of using an anchor was kind of non-realistic for the peoject - full halt does the same without mideval sailing ship touch :-)

but this is a breakthrough for me with that impulse, as it was similar as the air bags, but much much better, as u got better control. and I can finally make a battleship, it will be

deadelus from stargate, got it started, but I am testing the impulse and some new meshes

will use it no matter what, a bit of lag for me won`t stop me from using it, not sure why I got lag from it, will just be carful to turn off the impulse. will try it with a new load up game to see. lots of fun with it. reason I`m doing the deadelus.

I'm glad you like it :-D - I hope this plugin will inspire a hole fleet of new star ships.. - everyone may use the impulse module code in the CFGs!

BUT, ther is one caviat:

The SciFi mod from StarVision must be named as a dependency - you may not add the plugin directly to your download..

Sorry, I gave StarVision the exclusive publishing right - so this is final.

Although he has ofcourse the right to decides otherwise - but I would personally never sugest a crazy thing like that to him - so don't count on it.

If your ship shal work with impulse, everyone will have to download StarVisions pack to make it work.

I guess you can live with that - right?

Lag: I appologize if my plugin really does cause lag!

As soon as I can replicate your issues, I will fix them - so far, I don't even know what exactly happens on your end..

you have lag if my plugin is not working and I shall fix this in my code - how if my code is not working at that moment..

It's not that I don't want to believe - what you say is to be honest actually bull*****!

Most likely this is a language issue - two non-english speaker try to commnicate on english - I hope you see the irony.

As soon as you explain me how to replicate the lag you have, with a starvision shuttle if possible, I will do my best to fix it - I promise..

until than - hmm - not much I can do.. - all you said does not produce lag here.. - I tried it all..

This is the one unchangable rule of the universe..

"If I can't replicate it, I can't fix it" - we all have to obey that rule if we call a repair man for what ever reason.. :-D

You said you have 2.9GB in ram and it crashes..

This must be caused by a leak - the only leak in the plugin is currently the planet scanner - it's a huge leak! - it will produce those 2.9Gb within one minute or less - so if you get lag after using the transporter mode "ShipToGround" - than this is caused by the planet scanner - there is NO - I repeat NO other leak in the plugin and this is confirmed by several independent peoples - me included of course.

The first leak you've reported, I didn't spot right away - sorry for that - that won't happen again I hope - if leak, you will hear it - but there is no other leak..

So if you could confirm, that planet scanner was used everytime, the problem is solved..

Remember - I've asked you allready in last post a few days back about the planet scanner..

This question is important to debug - please respond.

Thanks..

Edited by philotical
added wiki link

I didn`t use any other stuff except the impulse drive, I tried the other stuff after. as for the pluging, its done and can be downloaded, fine with me, I don`t need to have it in my mods.

I`m French so yes harder to get stuff written down correctly. as for the I mean its at 2.9 gig it runs good, it crahes at 3.5 gig all the time or really lags bad that I can`t play, game right now is at 2.9 gig with impulse running, will try it the way u mention.i`m I alone to test this, as no one else reply`s for the mod? it would be important to know if we got the same thing on other computer.

I didn`t use any other stuff except the impulse drive, I tried the other stuff after. as for the pluging, its done and can be downloaded, fine with me, I don`t need to have it in my mods.

I`m French so yes harder to get stuff written down correctly. as for the I mean its at 2.9 gig it runs good, it crahes at 3.5 gig all the time or really lags bad that I can`t play, game right now is at 2.9 gig with impulse running, will try it the way u mention.i`m I alone to test this, as no one else reply`s for the mod? it would be important to know if we got the same thing on other computer.

Ok thank's for the clarification..

Your installation runs on 2.9 normally?

ok - you must have a bunch of mods lol

I'm Swiss, but my french isn't better than my english I'm afraid..

but you can PM me complicated stuff in french - I can read it quite well - much better than I write it..

Is that a solution?

Why PM? - I think the forum does not like other languages than english in the public posts..

As it seems, you are the only one that takes the time to report anything at all..

I really do appreciate it, although so far we couldn't fix much issues together - I have your PC and mine to test..

So it's really hard to track down those lag issues..

Do you have only one KSP install or several?

I have a heavely modded game and one without any mods except Voyager.

So I can clearly say, the plugin alone does not cause a lot of lag here.

the heavely modded game has lag in any case - no matter what mod I activate..

However - even my mod-free game never shows a green time-indicator at KSC (allways yellow) - but in space it does turn green - it seems my GFx card is at it's limit with no mods at all..

my messure is: at KSC - if my time indicator goes red - lag! If it's yellow - normal! if it green OUTSTANDING MIRACLE - never happened since version .23 came out.

in .22 I never had yellow unless I habe 250 parts loaded..

now it's yellow with one lander-can on the pad.

So you see my reluctance to blame my code for lag that is inheritently present anyways..

LOL - it's KSP - let's hope for a stable 64bit version..

if you can track down more specific a lag soure, let me know - until than - happy testing and good luck with the ship's you've started..

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.