Millennium Falcon V.2

Hahb

Work in progress. !500 parts. 920 Tons at launch. A real lag monster. The major problem right now is trying to get all the fuel to balance as it's being burned. You can see I used fuel tanks leading to the cockpit. On the other side I have smaller tanks all linked together.

1017425_647504095279303_1280143583_n.jpg

I think most people have tried building the Millenium Falcon at one point, but few get as far as you have. That is a real achievement.

The falcon has both radial symmetry (best for the VAB) and Bilateral symmetry (left/right mirror, best for the SPH), and to top it off, has an extremely asymmetrical element hanging off one side, which makes ballancing everything pretty much impossible without adding a ton of dead weight as counter ballance on one side. So basically it is a PITA.

This Skeleton is as far as I got on mine before trowing in the towel:

ktH0H9I.jpg

I wanted it to be able to hover off the ground translate into forward motion and then airhog into orbit like a space plane. It sorta hovers (terrifyingly), translates (terrifyingly), and when I skin it in placeholder wings and bodypanels will even almost fly. sorta. It is unbelievably hard keeping the center of mass stable in all three axes to achieve that. Oh well. Someone with more patience will always come along to do it. Hint.

How did you get that into orbit? That's must have been near impossible!

I'm still trying to make orbit. I can get to 90,000M before fuel balance becomes an issue.

1010181_648030081893371_1011306485_n.jpg

1044508_648030091893370_2026313579_n.jpg

I don't think the fuel lines work logically. The x-200-16's and x-200-8's fall together. After that balance is off when fuel is burning from the 32's and 16's that run straight out the sides and thrust puts it in to a spin.

941747_648030075226705_2039723155_n.jpg

That looks amazing! Hope you are able to make an orbit with it!

Good Luck!

I made it \0/. Two jumbo tanks with 1/5 to transfer over then dump. Then I'll send a couple ships up to top her off.

945334_648058361890543_1326180766_n.jpg

-----------

http://www./?iie7ngc65gsr7ed

-----------

Millennium Falcon: Hey physics, how's it going.

Physics: Go home Millennium Falcon....You're drunk.

Edited by Hahb
added download link

• 2 months later...

If you''ve done your best with tank and fuel line placements, and still have CoG issues, what about trying TAC Fuel Balancer...??....You can set all tanks to balance evenly as you burn....Or you can set tanks to ONLY transfer in or out, or lock them completely until you're ready to use them....

I solved the fuel balance issue without resorting to the autobalancer. Simply put, a small tank with fuel crossfeed hoses connected to and from every other tank. I'd post a video of my SSTO "Poseidon" megalifter which has this system, but I'm currently engaged in another project that's sucking system resources to the point where even my browser barely wants to work.

• 2 weeks later...

TAC Fuel Balancer for the CoG on take off, can set all tanks to remain balanced, you can also use EditorTools for the building process, it'll let you swap between SPH/VAB building methods.

Neither one adds parts, so it would still be a stock craft.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.