Chicken With The Mun

This challenge is fairly simple:

Lowest orbit around the Mun wins. Contest is split into two sections: lowest apoapsis and lowest periapsis. However, you have to complete a full orbit without lithobraking (and/or lithobreaking!). Hyperbolic trajectories need not apply for lowest apoapsis.

Note that the highest point on the Mun is 3340m.

Stock-only. Exception: Kerbal Engineer Redux is allowed, though MechJeb isn't.

Please post at least 3 screenshots of orbit in-progress, and a screenshot of the map screen showing apoapsis and periapsis.

(If there is interest, I may extend this to other atmosphere-less bodies.)

Leaderboard:

Apoapsis:

1. 2579m X 2698m - NinjaOx
  2. 2656m X 3081m - frash23
  3. 2760m X 3099m - frash23
  4. 2973m X 3124m - Spartwo
  5. 2715m X 413,084m - Skyhawk

Periapsis:

1. 2579m X 2698m - NinjaOx
  2. 2656m X 3081m - frash23
  3. 2715m X 413,084m - Skyhawk
  4. 2760m X 3099m - frash23
  5. 2973m X 3124m - Spartwo

Failures:

Edited by The Lone Wolfling

I am assuming an extremely eccentric orbit is okay? Might give me the edge needed to put the perigee in a crater lol. I know the challenge is lowest apogee but this makes me want to put a perigee in a crater and survive.

I am assuming an extremely eccentric orbit is okay? Might give me the edge needed to put the perigee in a crater lol. I know the challenge is lowest apogee but this makes me want to put a perigee in a crater and survive.

It's OK, but you won't get a great score.

I might add a category for lowest periapsis though.

(Also, apoapsis and periapsis, not apogee and perigee. Apsis is the general term; gee is only for Earth.)

EDIT: I added said category.

Edited by The Lone Wolfling

I'd like to enter the lowest periapsis please. I took an unnamed probe to a 2,736 meter periapse according to the map view.

wN2Y8VN.png

Some the screenshots beg to differ, though, and I don't know why.

MOfMlD5.jpg

W6AywEA.jpg

After this shot, the probe began to rise, as vert. speed is zero.

TWfZvhs.jpg

After I finished the orbit, I tried to lower it, only to create a new crater on the side of a mountain. 1,900 meters was too low.

xzNvmzR.jpg

hnvd6dA.jpg

Still, though, this was after 1 complete orbit, so I'd like to enter either 2,736 meters from map view, or 2,715 meters form the altimeter, whichever you go by. The apoapsis was over 100 km, so it doesn't matter.

Edited by Skyhawk

Kerbal Science Academy looked at the topo map for the Mun and thought an inclined orbit at about 20 degrees had a good chance of getting pretty low. Two volunteers were drafted and sent out to attempt the lowest orbit ever recorded around the Mun. This post preserves the memory of their heroism and sacrifice.

Jdhrpg2.jpg

After a transit around the dark side, broke through to a swift sunrise.

N2d1cMw.jpg

We start to get vertigo near 2.5 km ASL.

awIy211.jpg

True altitude dropped below 300m just as we passed periapsis, and I breathed a sigh of relief, but Valentina and Sean look very worried...

TZqCKCB.jpg

...alas, the Kerbal Mining Co forgot to install the tunnel through the side of Mount Doom.

kNsYKQN.jpg

RIP Valentina and Sean. Your contribution to Kerbal science will not be in vain.... Can I get two more volunteers?!

Posted merely for amusement value, not as an entry.

I was aware of that. Sorry, it probably didn't come across as such. I tend to fail at communicating seriousness or lack there of over text media.

champion to go to the one who can video tape from high five a Kerbal on top of a mountain as you speed over head quickly.

FIFY

I love these types of challenges, tied up with the duna permanent outpost challenge, but giving this one a whirl. Best so far 3km perioapsis.... but I lost my engine on a tiny bit of bumped up land, rest of the path was looking good (actual height off ground ~5m).... guess I need to look for a crater to put my perioapsis in :\

2nd attempt. found an inclination I think will work, already got below 2200m pe, 6000m ap...... I have mechjeb on all command pods via cfg, im not using it to adjust orbits or anything, just using it for orbital info. If I have to remove it for my submission (once I get back to the mun with new rocket) let me know OP.

Edited by TheBobWiley

Well good and bad news, had a stable orbit at 2300m perioapsis, 2500m apoapsis making me the leader.... but I tried to go a tad lower and ended up setting it too low, just barely. I know you want SS at perio and apo, but since its almost 3am I hit the quicksave button instead of quickload after my crash. i can try again tomorrow I suppose :\

8WnOuR7.png

vbLOwHE.jpg

Sweet, I already did this once!

ENTER... DAREDEVIL1

IvZTtBv.jpg

Soaring through the large moon canyon - DAREDEVIL1 doesn't care!

5e7f37I.jpg

Apopsis and periapsis...

SJkGTQX.jpg

ZYUSypf.jpg

So that's... 2698 and 2579.

Who will defeat...

DAREDEVIL1?

3apNTSd.png

Edited by NinjaOx

This reminds me of my first Duna Mission, to save fuel (as if my ship actually needed to with its 9000+ m/s of Delta-v after LKO thanks to Orange tanks and nuke-engines), I used gravity assist from Ike to brake.

I got so close (around 9500 meters above "sea-level") that the mountains nearby were higher up than I was. I left a Kerbal in Ike Orbit and used their Jetpack to stabilize the orbit (albeit with a higher Periapsis around 25000).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.