[0.90] Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics - 0.19.3

sirkut

Just a heads up. Sometime soon in the next few days I will have a new version that will remove the parts bloat contains in the parts pack by using the amazing TweakScale plugin. So what was once 3 parts for an AdjustableRail for example, it will be just 1 part in the VAB/SPH. I got the plugin working, I just have to tidy up the code and do a little more testing but it works really well!

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/80234-TweakScale-Rescale-Everything!?p=1162553

This will allow just 1 part for each part type with the ability to scale it to the 3 different sizes (or more if you want to add them to a CFG) _AND_ will also change the value of the range of travel for the AdjustableRail for example. ie. small has 0 to 0.5 range of motion, medium has 0 to 1, and large has 0 to 2.

Just a heads up. Sometime soon in the next few days I will have a new version that will remove the parts bloat contains in the parts pack by using the amazing TweakScale plugin. So what was once 3 parts for an AdjustableRail for example, it will be just 1 part in the VAB/SPH. I got the plugin working, I just have to tidy up the code and do a little more testing but it works really well!

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/80234-TweakScale-Rescale-Everything!?p=1162553

This will allow just 1 part for each part type with the ability to scale it to the 3 different sizes (or more if you want to add them to a CFG) _AND_ will also change the value of the range of travel for the AdjustableRail for example. ie. small has 0 to 0.5 range of motion, medium has 0 to 1, and large has 0 to 2.

NICE I can't wait to play with it.

I've mentioned this I believe in the op but having robotic parts attached to docking ports and docking is a bad idea. They parts lose their parents due to docking causing the very same problem you are getting.

Understood, thanks a lot for the heads up. I remember reading the info but did not realize it applied to my construction as well.

I found a way to work around this by putting rails between the rover and its wheels, thus raising/lowering the entire rover instead of just the docking part. A bit wobbly when moving, but it does what I want ;-)

All my existing 70+ flights with hinges are borked after updating. The hinges have flipped to some odd starting angle so I have parts intersectiing geometry now and not going back to the correct zero position. It may also be causing my ships to be greyed out in the VAB but I also installed the update to procedural fairings which could be causing this. I am going to test as soon as I finish this post. Is there a way to fix this or do I have to roll back to the older version. I am to far into career mode to have to rebuild and relaunch over 70 ships!

UPDATE: I rolled back to version 14. There also seems to be an issue with ships in the VAB being greyed out when I updated to 15d. I thought it might have been because of procedural fairings (some of which was) but when I rolled proc fairings back I still had ships greyed out in the VAB which all cleared up when I rolled IR back to .14.

I am to far into this career run to start all over so I am just going to continue with the 0.14 IR and 2.4.4 PF. I'll update on my next full run through unless there is an easy way to update without killing my current game.

Edited by ctbram

All my existing 70+ flights with hinges are borked after updating. The hinges have flipped to some odd starting angle so I have parts intersectiing geometry now and not going back to the correct zero position. It may also be causing my ships to be greyed out in the VAB but I also installed the update to procedural fairings which could be causing this. I am going to test as soon as I finish this post. Is there a way to fix this or do I have to roll back to the older version. I am to far into career mode to have to rebuild and relaunch over 70 ships!

UPDATE: I rolled back to version 14. There also seems to be an issue with ships in the VAB being greyed out when I updated to 15d. I thought it might have been because of procedural fairings (some of which was) but when I rolled proc fairings back I still had ships greyed out in the VAB which all cleared up when I rolled IR back to .14.

I am to far into this career run to start all over so I am just going to continue with the 0.14 IR and 2.4.4 PF. I'll update on my next full run through unless there is an easy way to update without killing my current game.

I'd like to see a log file because it may be something else.

So no docking with robotic parts... dang. I have a massive kethane drill with its only docking port about 10m off the surface.

I built a rover with a nice telescoping arm with docking port, it docks fine but after undocking is completely broken.

Anyway to get around this? I don't think I can reach the port by just lifting the rover.

Is there a way to edit the angle of the hinges, the postition of the rails etc. or so while building you plane in the vab of sph?

Read my first post labeled "Things to remember and future plans" more specifically #2.

- - - Updated - - -

So no docking with robotic parts... dang. I have a massive kethane drill with its only docking port about 10m off the surface.

I built a rover with a nice telescoping arm with docking port, it docks fine but after undocking is completely broken.

Anyway to get around this? I don't think I can reach the port by just lifting the rover.

The only way is to dock but do NOT move any robotic parts while docking. Until it's an issue and I'll get to it when I'm able.

I'd like to see a log file because it may be something else.

Quite possibly could be sirkut I installed an update to procedural fairings and a couple others at the same time. I am in the process of rolling it all back to the start. Then I will grab a screen shot with version 0.14 of a ship I have in orbit. Then install .15d and see if that ship is affected and also if things grey out in the VAB. normally I am more fastidious but I have not had any issues in some time so rolled the dice and did a bunch of updates all at once. Will get it sorted out and post for clarity. Thanks for you work and this is really a great mod. It's in my top five can't live without mods.

UPDATE:

rolled back to 0.14 and everything seemed to be working correctly again.

Then I installed 0.15d and I could see all my ships in the VAB so the greying out thing must have been another mod. Then I loaded one of the ships that the hinges seem to have flipped on in flight and in the vab and on the launch pad they appear to be in the correct position and operate as expected.

However, when I go to a ship (any ship) already in flight the hinges seem to have forgotten their ZERO position. Rather then dinking with imgur I am just going to record a camtasia video to demonstrate what I am seeing. I'll put up the link shortly.

Edited by ctbram

Quite possibly could be sirkut I installed an update to procedural fairings and a couple others at the same time. I am in the process of rolling it all back to the start. Then I will grab a screen shot with version 0.14 of a ship I have in orbit. Then install .15d and see if that ship is affected and also if things grey out in the VAB. normally I am more fastidious but I have not had any issues in some time so rolled the dice and did a bunch of updates all at once. Will get it sorted out and post for clarity. Thanks for you work and this is really a great mod. It's in my top five can't live without mods.

UPDATE:

rolled back to 0.14 and everything seemed to be working correctly again.

Then I installed 0.15d and I could see all my ships in the VAB so the greying out thing must have been another mod. Then I loaded one of the ships that the hinges seem to have flipped on in flight and they appear to be in the correct position and operate as expected.

However, when I go to a ship (any ship) already in flight the hinges seem to have forgotten their ZERO position. Rather then dinking with imgur I am just going to record a camtasia video to demonstrate what I am seeing. I'll put up the link shortly.

Thanks for following up. Statistically the problems from other users generally have to do with another mod rather than IR. For example nothin would change in infernal robotics for it I cause a craft file to be grayed out.

Thanks for following up. Statistically the problems from other users generally have to do with another mod rather than IR. For example nothin would change in infernal robotics for it I cause a craft file to be grayed out.

Here is a link to the behavior I am seeing. I think it can be summed up as all my IN FLIGHT ships have their ZERO positions "0-key" set to the full extended position ">-key". It appears the greying out issue was definitely caused by the procedural fairing update from 2.4.4 to 3.0.2.

However, there does seem to be a hinge flipping or resetting of the ZERO position for all my in flight ships. Here is a link to a video I recorded to show the problem. http://youtu.be/Yeek3ArPjvo

I can also provide a compressed copy of the log file but it's huge.

-Rick

Is it normal that the IR window in flight will never save its position? Everytime I reload the game, it comes back in the middle of the screen. The IR button in the toolbar doesn't do anything either, it would be nice to be able to hide/show the window on demand.

Is it normal that the IR window in flight will never save its position? Everytime I reload the game, it comes back in the middle of the screen. The IR button in the toolbar doesn't do anything either, it would be nice to be able to hide/show the window on demand.

I don't believe I save it's position but the toolbar allows you to show and hide the control window. Be sure you have the latest version. I haven't had anyone tell me that the latest version doesn't function.

My version was downloaded less than 15 days ago so I thought it was up to date, sorry. Now with the new version, the toolbar icon works.

But the update totally broke my space station. :< Going to improvize an emergency replacement of the whole energy supply part before Jeb runs out of coffee and realize the coffee machine doesn't work anymore!

[Edit] Oh, why removing the max/min angles? That was absolutely perfect for me. One could simply ignore it, but if accurate angles were necessary, we could set limits and just activate the robotics till their limits. The removal of this parameter in the VAB feels like a regression for me. :(

[Edit 2] Oh, seems it's now in the tweakables, sorry for reading the first post too quickly.

Edited by Korb Biakustra

Ok, seems the min/max values have been moved from the configuration window to tweakables, why not. But can you confirm it is no longer possible to set negative values? This is a regression in my opinion, it allowed more complex configurations with fixed positions (accurate due to limit caps). For instance, settings limits of rotatrons to -90 and 90 allows three accurate positions (min, zero, max), while 0 and 180 allow the same range, but no accuracy on the wanted angles. Is it definitive? Have I missed something to set negative values ?

In addition, rotatrons' limits seem not to work. I've set some, but they just turn indefinitely.

Edited by Korb Biakustra

Don't know if it is implemented already or planned, but perhaps its a good idee for free movement hinges etc?

You should check out the model rework I've been doing for IR. It includes two free movement hinges. In fact Codepoet created this vehicle with them acting as terrain adaptation.

screenshot0.png

Ok, seems the min/max values have been moved from the configuration window to tweakables, why not. But can you confirm it is no longer possible to set negative values? This is a regression in my opinion, it allowed more complex configurations with fixed positions (accurate due to limit caps). For instance, settings limits of rotatrons to -90 and 90 allows three accurate positions (min, zero, max), while 0 and 180 allow the same range, but no accuracy on the wanted angles. Is it definitive? Have I missed something to set negative values ?

In addition, rotatrons' limits seem not to work. I've set some, but they just turn indefinitely.

You have to think like a circle when doing the rotatrons. The reason some are -90 to 90 is do to how the mesh is manipulated in space where as the closed hinge is manipulated differently. No accurancy of the angles with 0 to 180? I'm not even sure what you mean. You don't set negative values when dealing with 0 to 180 you have to think differently due to how the mesh is located.

_|_ <--- this is the starting point for a tall hinge for example. In order to go in one direction, it's limit is 90 degrees or negative 90 degrees.

= <--- this is the starting point for a closed hinge (the top portion of the equal sign is the moving part, so in order for it to go 90 degrees so it's pointing _| ,if you want it fully open (__) , you must travel 180 degrees.

Now if you are talking about overriding what is the config then yes you won't be able to do that. If you want to go that route, which I won't support, change the values in the CFG files for those parts. Problem solved.

I've sent ZodiusInfuser the 0.16 release candidate. Couple of things are going to have to change in this release.

This update uses TweakScale. This WILL break saves unless you keep both the old parts and the new tweakscaled versions. If you keep both it will now put 4 per part in the Editor. The good news is it's just 1 part per type in the editor. For example only ONE TPS part in the editor instead of nine!

I've sent ZodiusInfuser the 0.16 release candidate. Couple of things are going to have to change in this release.

This update uses TweakScale. This WILL break saves unless you keep both the old parts and the new tweakscaled versions. If you keep both it will now put 4 per part in the Editor. The good news is it's just 1 part per type in the editor. For example only ONE TPS part in the editor instead of nine!

Nice, can't wait! And don't worry about backward comp, just keep em coming :)