[0.90] Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics - 0.19.3

sirkut

I can't remember the last time I stayed up late waiting for Santa Clause to deliver the presents.

Wait.

Yes I can!

It's right now :)

--------------------------------

I again point to the principle of 'K.I.S.S.' (the 'keep it simple, stupid' one), as I can (sorta) see code in my head for how you'd achieve that result, but it'd be a negative feedback loop, where it'd be a reactionary system like the SAS systems, and not predictive. I'd say the software method would be easier than trying t do it by eye, since you'd have numbers to use. (this is the rail control system I'm referring to, not the fuel one.) For fuel balancing, there's already a plugin, TAC Fuel Balancer, or something reasonably close to that.

The kerbal way to do this would be add more engines, and have different patterns of on/off(more likely just on) to correspond to different parts of the flight cycle. :D

The solution used in the demo vid is so simple I'm almost embarrassed to reveal it, though the great contributors to that simplicity are the routines and magic provided by SQUAD. Implementing the solution from scratch would provide me a lifetime supply of nightmares.

I certainly considered the Moar engines solution, a kind of staggered array with keyed enables and disables. Possibly effective but not weight efficient.

TAC Fuel Balancer lets you make all kinds of settings to keep fuel where you want it even when burning.

The fuel balancer is great if you have sufficient mass of fuel to balance the load and if you have somewhere to send it. The craft I'm playing with does not necessarily have either and to further muddy the puddle, is not balanced to start with.

Hi,

Just wanted to show a little contraption I made with these great parts :).

it's my attempt at a thrust vectored quad-copter. Each arm has three junior washers grouped so that it's easy to translate in any direction. For example you can press one button and have it start accelerating move forward :) For these shots I used MechJeb to provide altitude control.

Ha! Love it!

In our universe these quads work by varying the thrust of the motors. I guess for us it is the most simple solution. It's a shame you can't very the thrust of individual groups of engines in KSP. Except. You can. At least I can, I'm not aware of any existing mod which allows this?

Devo gave me the go ahead on his parts so I'll be wrapping everything up in a zip and upload the new parts pack. The Piston is being worked on and won't make it to the first pack. There will be a #2 parts pack that will expand even more!

Devo gave me the go ahead on his parts so I'll be wrapping everything up in a zip and upload the new parts pack. The Piston is being worked on and won't make it to the first pack. There will be a #2 parts pack that will expand even more!

The new version plugin of the is part of the above 'everything', right? Also, I'm not the only one tempted to start designing a folding base, am I?

The new version plugin of the is part of the above 'everything', right? Also, I'm not the only one tempted to start designing a folding base, am I?

Since I can't upload just yet here's what the #1 parts pack will include:

1. New Infernal Robotics plugin: Sound & GUI Speed control support

2. Closed Hinge (full, half and quarter sized versions)

3. Open Hinge (full, half and quarter sized versions) | the Damned Robotics door hinge equivalent

4. Powered Hinge (full, half and quarter sized versions) | the Damned Robotics Powered Hinge equivalent

5. Industrial Hinge

6. Docking Washers (for standard, senior and junior docking ports)

7. Docking Washer Free Moving

8. Adjustable Rail

9. Large Rotatron (smaller version needs an update from Devo as I don't have the original blender file so that will come out later)

10. VTOL Rotatron

Parts Pack Update #1a to be released tomorrow (maybe tonight!) will have:

1. Rotatron (full, half, and quarter sized versions) | the Damned Robotics rotatron equivalent

2. Piston (full, half, quarter sized versions) | the Damned Robotics Cylinder equivalent

Since I can't upload just yet here's what the #1 parts pack will include:

1. New Infernal Robotics plugin: Sound & GUI Speed control support

2. Closed Hinge (full, half and quarter sized versions)

3. Open Hinge (full, half and quarter sized versions) | the Damned Robotics door hinge equivalent

4. Powered Hinge (full, half and quarter sized versions) | the Damned Robotics Powered Hinge equivalent

5. Industrial Hinge

6. Docking Washers (for standard, senior and junior docking ports)

7. Docking Washer Free Moving

8. Adjustable Rail

9. Large Rotatron (smaller version needs an update from Devo as I don't have the original blender file so that will come out later)

10. VTOL Rotatron

Parts Pack Update #1a to be released tomorrow (maybe tonight!) will have:

1. Rotatron (full, half, and quarter sized versions) | the Damned Robotics rotatron equivalent

2. Piston (full, half, quarter sized versions) | the Damned Robotics Cylinder equivalent

I'm assuming the github version will get updated as well, right? I mean, that's just committing code changes, isn't it? :D

(edit: I think I'm getting far too excited about something as simple as a plugin for a game, :) )

edit 2: Far too excited, yeah, just jumping between first and last page of thread, watching for updates x.x

Edited by Reddot99

I'm assuming the github version will get updated as well, right? I mean, that's just committing code changes, isn't it? :D

Not immediately. I still need to install github on my machine. The source will be included in the mediafire download until I get that squared away again. I'm uploading right now...

Will the motors consume power? That's the only thing all the motorized mods but KAS seem to lack for some reason. Looks like a wonderful update though none the less!

Will the motors consume power? That's the only thing all the motorized mods but KAS seem to lack for some reason. Looks like a wonderful update though none the less!

Not yet but it will be eventually. Updating the OP now for the download so stay tuned in just a minute.

Yay. ty so much.

It's bed time here so it will be a while before the real fun begins. I did have time for a very quick play... It's a bit sneaky of you not to mention the new Rail Gun!!

Yay. ty so much.

It's bed time here so it will be a while before the real fun begins. I did have time for a very quick play... It's a bit sneaky of you not to mention the new Rail Gun!!

Wow. Now THAT is hilarious! I need to see if I can replicate that. LOL

Yay. ty so much.

That was fracking awesome!!

Ok. I can replicate this. Thanks for the video. I'll look into fixing that. :)

Cool.

Good News: You don't need all the other parts, just the rail.

Even Better News: Arrange 19 rails pointing downwards around a Cupola module and you can reach an altitude of over 7km!

I think you should keep it in the pack for all the weapon mongers... just give it a different name and restore sanity to the old rail too ;)

Edited by ecat

Cool.

Good News: You don't need all the other parts, just the rail.

Even Better News: Arrange 19 rails pointing downwards around a Cupola module and you reach over 7km altitude :)

Yeah I had fun doing some launches while testing. I think I will leave it as is and leave it up to the user whether they want to break physics or not.

Yeah I had fun doing some launches while testing. I think I will leave it as is and leave it up to the user whether they want to break physics or not.

So long as there is a 'Rail at limit' variable or some way of reading the position? The reason I was testing the end limit was to check that my engines wouldn't spontaneously enter a different orbit.

There is a limit set in the CFG called translateMin and translateMax. The only time it breaks is if the speed is set too high. How high I'm not certain yet but that's why the keyTranslateSpeed is set to 0.30 for that part.

Phew. ty for the info :)

Edit:

Actually...

It will pop at a speed of 0.3 too... Certainly when under 4x physics warp :(

Ok good to know. I'll dig around and see what I can do to prevent that from happening. I would imagine this has been a problem even with damned robotics with the piston.

Um, I'm sure this isn't a bug, but I can't figure out how to put hinges into different groups, so they aren't all moving at once. I make different groups in the vab, but on the pad, theres just one control, and all hinges move as one. Can anyone help me?