[0.90] Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics - 0.19.3

sirkut

Well the plugin is done. The piston is finally done! I've never skinned a cylinder before and that was a process! I have to clean the code up just a little bit in the morning.

8AM EST I will provide links to download the parts pack+plugin and the source code. I decided to make smaller sized adjustable rails...

Brilliant! I was wondering if you'd make probe sized adjustable rails :). This mod is a must have for every KSP player!

could use the free moving docking washer and apply some rotation rockets....instant o'neil cylinder.

Oh yes, I've already given that a go :). That requires fuel though, so having a toggle on the servo controls so you can leave things spinning would be great.

Regarding the rotating housing I suggested a number of pages ago, here is a concept that better shows what I was trying to say:

_01c9bbf73558411bbde15ffa86d6c6d5

It consists of a central piece that attaches inline to fuel tanks etc, and a ring that rotates around it. Its main purpose would be for spinning mid-sections of craft (as shown at the back). Obviously this could be done by using two opposing docking washers but this would allow stronger connections along the central core, and also free spinning versions that keep the front and back of your craft in alignment. I would love to give this a go myself, but alas, I don't have the skills or time to put into it :(

Brilliant! I was wondering if you'd make probe sized adjustable rails :). This mod is a must have for every KSP player!

Oh yes, I've already given that a go :). That requires fuel though, so having a toggle on the servo controls so you can leave things spinning would be great.

Regarding the rotating housing I suggested a number of pages ago, here is a concept that better shows what I was trying to say:

It consists of a central piece that attaches inline to fuel tanks etc, and a ring that rotates around it. Its main purpose would be for spinning mid-sections of craft (as shown at the back). Obviously this could be done by using two opposing docking washers but this would allow stronger connections along the central core, and also free spinning versions that keep the front and back of your craft in alignment. I would love to give this a go myself, but alas, I don't have the skills or time to put into it :(

yeah i can knock that up pretty quick. just building a new pc tonight so ill have it pumped out tomorrow.

yeah i can knock that up pretty quick. just building a new pc tonight so ill have it pumped out tomorrow.

Awesome!!! Btw, I'm not sure if it's clear from that shot, but the size of these would match the 2.5, 1.25, and 0.625 fuel tank sizes, and probably be as tall as the RCS tanks.

l3t4xuuyugqxgw3fg.jpg?size_id=6

Did you see the size of the adjustable rails in this photo? They are pretty small. Uploading now 0.7!

Oh yes! I was meaning more in the past tense, as a few days ago I had a need for a small rail but there wasn't one.

Ah ok. My apologies. Well now you will have them in just a second. :)

I'd like to add my own heartfelt hopes for this part as well. I've been looking for this exact part for some time and if anybody can pull it off, its you two.

Thank you both Devo and Sirkut for taking this already incredible mod (damned robotics) as a starting point and turning it into something even more incredible, useful and up to date!

if I could add one other part request, it'd be a pivot that worked exactly like one of your existing powered hinges internally but within the context of the usual part sizes and a cover. Useful for launching vertically straight and then "bending" a stack in space. If it were limited so it could only bend as far as the plate could turn (depending on internal pivot height), so much the better.

For a working example of what I'm suggesting, take two 2 meter plates, put them on the top and bottom of a motorized hinge and imagine that they're round and have a stretchy covering around the sides to make them look like round parts in stock sizes.)

Regardless of whether this idea gets implemented or not, this mod is a tremendous addition to the game and I appreciate all the effort and hard work you've both put into it.

Edited by jsalexan
Spelling and grammar corrections

Fixed! Can't believe I missed that.

Thanks, as you can tell I love this mod so much I'm using it within seconds of you posting it, that's why I feel like a real heel to report issues. Looks like the rescale factor on all (open, powered, & default) the hinges is the same for all sizes (1/2, 1/4 & default).

As you have seen before, Devo created an awesome Claw that will come out with the Magic Smoke Industries Animator pack, sound is the last thing I add to the plugin then it's just a matter of seeing what else Devo can conjure up and that will be released. Here it is on a probe. You'll also notice how nicely the 1/4 sized parts work for probes. To be honest this is the main reason why I picked up this project is so I can make probe parts!

Being that the docking washers were my first part I had no idea what I was doing. I decided to add a skin to it thanks to Devo's awesome texture. These will replace the existing ones in the near future. Now that the plugin is out I'm going look at some of the suggestions & issues that were brought up. Next up. The Magic Smoke Industries Animator plugin & parts: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/39367-WIP-Magic-Smoke-Industries-Animator

ttwqc1rd7z3z1brfg.jpg

I'd like to add my own heartfelt hopes for this part as well. I've been looking for this exact part for some time and if anybody can pull it off, its you two.

Thank you both Devo and Sirkut for taking this already incredible mod (damned robotics) as a starting point and turning it into something even more incredible, useful and up to date!

if I could add one other part request, it'd be a pivot that worked exactly like one of your existing powered hinges internally but within the context of the usual part sizes and a cover. Useful for launching vertically straight and then "bending" a stack in space. If it were limited so it could only bend as far as the plate could turn (depending on internal pivot height), so much the better.

For a working example of what I'm suggesting, take two 2 meter plates, put them on the top and bottom of a motorized hinge and imagine that they're round and have a stretchy covering around the sides to make them look like round parts in stock sizes.)

Regardless of whether this idea gets implemented or not, this mod is a tremendous addition to the game and I appreciate all the effort and hard work you've both put into it.

I'm confused. You basically want a circular hinge that you could use to connect two fuel tanks together for example and when in space make the craft bend into a letter "L" for example?

I'd like to add my own heartfelt hopes for this part as well. I've been looking for this exact part for some time and if anybody can pull it off, its you two
Essentially we are wanting a bearing like this:

d2e88a370bc0e9d5d55c6f3e29bbacca81723a0b_m.jpg

Whereas the current spinning washer is a bearing like this:

bearing%202.jpg

--------------------------------------------------

ttwqc1rd7z3z1brfg.jpg

They look great! A number of things I would say.

Whilst using the docking washers I've found the different colours of the two opposing sides to be extremely useful in deciding which way to place them, so sets rotate in the same direction. Could this still be maintained in your new texture pass? In some of my scenarios I place 2 or 3 washers on top of each other in different orientations, so the ability to tell direction from side on is quite important. A lighter and darker side would be sufficient, something to tell which side is the one that rotates and which is meant to be the base. Maybe a small maker on the base side too just for clarity.

Another thought while I'm here, could the free spinning washers be visually different in some way to easily identify it from the others (particularly in the parts menu)? They wouldn't need the two sides to be visually different as with the other ones though.

Finally, on the subject of the free spinning washer, what would I need to do to create Sr and Jr versions? I tried looking at the cfg files but couldn't tell what I needed to change.

Thanks

Ohhhh. I believe I can do that. I will test that out.

The new docking washers have a red designator painted on the edge that you can see on the bottom left where the white grid is. That and the bottom half being darker designates the fixed side.

I'm confused. You basically want a circular hinge that you could use to connect two fuel tanks together for example and when in space make the craft bend into a letter "L" for example?

I too don't fully understand this idea. The best analogy I could find was this, where the joint is as wide as the body but can only pivot a small amount:

Am I right?

Ohhhh. I believe I can do that. I will test that out.

The new docking washers have a red designator painted on the edge that you can see on the bottom left where the white grid is. That and the bottom half being darker designates the fixed side.

Great! Ah yes I notice it now.

Edited by ZodiusInfuser

I too don't fully understand this idea. The best analogy I could find was this, where the joint is as wide as the body but can only pivot a small amount:

Am I right?

Great! Ah yes I notice it now.

Questions. What is the dimensions of this washer idea? Will it have an opening like the ball bearing image? I'm trying to get an idea of how I'm supposed to model this.

What does a Kerbal who has just been to the moon want? An amusement park ride, of course!

1gY23bz.jpg

The picture is deceiving - the wheel spins faster than you can follow it - a blur! It has washers to allow the free rotation, and if I speed up the rotation piece enough it will cause the arms to gently turn, allowing kerbals to mount seats on the bottom of each limb. Tempted to build one with lighter pieces so it doesn't "hang" off the free washer quite so badly...

Early attempts with solid rocket boosters rather than sepratrons were... not so successful.

pSOQzeF.jpg

MI3xhLd.jpg

I'm fairly new to the forums here, and I'm not sure how to report a bug, so i'm doing this here. I have an issue where when I attach any half or quarter size part part from this pack, when I go t othe launch pad they revert to the standard size and blow my craft up, and then if I go back into the vab all the parts are full sized, has anyone else found this? I am using a lot of mods, so I don't know if its a conflict in that or something I did wrong. I did completely uninstall the pack and reload it, but it still happens. :(

I'm fairly new to the forums here, and I'm not sure how to report a bug, so i'm doing this here. I have an issue where when I attach any half or quarter size part part from this pack, when I go t othe launch pad they revert to the standard size and blow my craft up, and then if I go back into the vab all the parts are full sized, has anyone else found this? I am using a lot of mods, so I don't know if its a conflict in that or something I did wrong. I did completely uninstall the pack and reload it, but it still happens. :(

Did you download the update? I made an error and uploaded the wrong directory that didn't have the correct sizing information.

What does a Kerbal who has just been to the moon want? An amusement park ride, of course!

1gY23bz.jpg

The picture is deceiving - the wheel spins faster than you can follow it - a blur! It has washers to allow the free rotation, and if I speed up the rotation piece enough it will cause the arms to gently turn, allowing kerbals to mount seats on the bottom of each limb. Tempted to build one with lighter pieces so it doesn't "hang" off the free washer quite so badly...

Early attempts with solid rocket boosters rather than sepratrons were... not so successful.

pSOQzeF.jpg

MI3xhLd.jpg

Ah yes. Amusement parks the Kerbal way. That is awesome!! Love that last picture.